Campgrounds near Seattle

leavingsoon

Hi all,

I am not really sure where to post/ask this question but figured I would try this section. Because of my work it looks like my wife and I will be moving soon from the northern Illinois/Chicago area to the Seattle WA area. We live in our 5th wheel fulltime and both still work fulltime and we will be looking for a place to park our camper. I will probably start looking for options on CL, campgrounds, people's property, etc.    We are more interested in a rural setting and don't mind a commute (been doing that for years around Chicago so we are somewhat use to driving). After we learn the area and determine how long we will live there we may be interested in purchasing our own property to live on.

Any suggestion or contacts would be appreciated....Thanks!

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

Parks are few and FAR between.  Good luck in your hunt.    Where in Seattle will you be working?  That's important to know.   On the north side There is Lake Pleasant in Bothell, which has a waiting list, and Lakeside RV Resort in Everett, which is a little difficult to get rigs in, but once in is easy to get around the area.   On the east side there are some parks near Issaquah, very expensive, and I don't know if they have annual rates.    You might check with Tall Chief in Fall City - they may have some annual sites available.   Again, it will be expensive.   EVERYTHING in the Seattle area is expensive.    I can't recommend anything on the south side of Seattle.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I have a friend that just moved into Tall Chief while he waits for an opening elsewhere.  I believe he said it was just under $750.00 per month plus electric.  He also did not mention whether or not they had Annual sites.

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Thanks guys! I will check out the campground locator.

At this point in time it looks like I will probably be in either the Kent or Bellevue area. I don't mind up to a 90 minute commute one way to work each day....been doing that for the last 20 years around the Chicago area. Should I expect the cost of living in the Seattle area to be greater than Chicago? 

7 hours ago, leavingsoon said:

At this point in time it looks like I will probably be in either the Kent or Bellevue area. I don't mind up to a 90 minute commute one way to work each day....been doing that for the last 20 years around the Chicago area.

Given that you're willing to drive up to 90 minutes one way, you could consider living as far away as Ellensberg, just east of the cascades on I-90. I worked with a guy in Seattle that did that. Bellevue is closer than where we worked. At times the pass can be closed due to snow, so that would be a consideration too. At least it would increase the number of places you could stay and probably improve the cost of living.

Don

19 minutes ago, don&penny said:

Given that you're willing to drive up to 90 minutes one way, you could consider living as far away as Ellensberg, just east of the cascades on I-90. I worked with a guy in Seattle that did that. Bellevue is closer than where we worked. At times the pass can be closed due to snow, so that would be a consideration too. At least it would increase the number of places you could stay and probably improve the cost of living.

Don

Thanks Don

What about Gold Bar Nature Trails??.... I saw an ad on CL ....looks like it is less than an hour away.

I don't have information regarding any specific campground in or around Seattle. When I come into town to do our physicals and such, we stay at the Puyallup Fairgrounds. It is not a long term stay location and they don't have discounts for longer stays (not even weekly).

Don

17 hours ago, leavingsoon said:

Thanks Don

What about Gold Bar Nature Trails??.... I saw an ad on CL ....looks like it is less than an hour away.

Depending upon the time of day it could be LONGER than an hour - - you have to get through Monroe which, during rush hour, can be horrific.  Of course you will also learn what cut offs to take to get through the town quicker.    Monroe isn't a bad place to stay - we spend a couple of weeks there each summer as it is about 25 min drive to my sister and mother.    And there are some back roads that will take you down to Bellevue.

If you are going to be in Kent, then you really need to look south of Auburn.  There are a few around but not one we would stay at.  Puyallup Fairgrounds is great for a week or so, but not long term.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 11/5/2017 at 1:01 PM, don&penny said:

Don

You want to be far enough from the pass to avoid the heavy, wet snow on your roof. You might be able to rent a site from a landowner that has a roof cover. Place an ad in the Cle Elum paper and Craig's list.

However, I attended a conference up at Snoqualmie Pass and drove into downtown Seattle for a ball game. It was quick....well it wasn't rush hour. If your in Bellevue it will take less time to go from Cle Elum to Bellevue than Bellevue to Seattle.

Lots of people do the commute. Years ago, people met at the Safeway parking lot in Cle Elum for ride sharing.  

It will definitely be a pain November through March...but the rest of the year wouldn't be bad. Particularly if you get into ride sharing.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

If Kent is where you end up working, check out Gig Harbor and surrounding area.  During rush hour it can be a 90 minute drive.  My daughter works in Auburn and does it daily.  There are state parks and

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/washington/gig-harbor/gig-harbor-rv-resort-3133

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

17 hours ago, Vladimir said:

You want to be far enough from the pass to avoid the heavy, wet snow on your roof. You might be able to rent a site from a landowner that has a roof cover. Place an ad in the Cle Elum paper and Craig's list.

However, I attended a conference up at Snoqualmie Pass and drove into downtown Seattle for a ball game. It was quick....well it wasn't rush hour. If your in Bellevue it will take less time to go from Cle Elum to Bellevue than Bellevue to Seattle.

Lots of people do the commute. Years ago, people met at the Safeway parking lot in Cle Elum for ride sharing.  

It will definitely be a pain November through March...but the rest of the year wouldn't be bad. Particularly if you get into ride sharing.

Thanks!.... looking for a land owner who has space to rent is the way I am leaning. We have done that multiple times over the years as we have moved around from location to location and always worked out great for both party's. I think commuting nowdays is just as much a part of life as a cell phone. I don't care where you live and work around the Chicago area EVERYONE drives 30-90 minutes just to go to work.

Is the winter weather around the Seattle area going to be anything like the Chicago area?

Thanks for the tips

We have lived on both sides of the cascades in Washington, starting in1968.  While some have mentioned the traffic, for medium sized cities, Seattle and Portland are worse than Chicago during rush hour.  During this time it can take you 3+ hours to get from Bellevue to Ft Lewis.  If you are in the Kent area Lake Sawyer RV Resort is a affordable choice.  Over the years we have stayed many times, and it takes non members.  It's not fancy, but adequate.  While close to shopping, it is still a little remote.  

39 minutes ago, butchkaren said:

We have lived on both sides of the cascades in Washington, starting in1968.  While some have mentioned the traffic, for medium sized cities, Seattle and Portland are worse than Chicago during rush hour.  During this time it can take you 3+ hours to get from Bellevue to Ft Lewis.  If you are in the Kent area Lake Sawyer RV Resort is a affordable choice.  Over the years we have stayed many times, and it takes non members.  It's not fancy, but adequate.  While close to shopping, it is still a little remote.  

Ouch.... 3+ hours is a drive I can't do :( .... Thanks for the head's up

I could not, in good conscience recommend Lake Sawyer to anyone.  The town is trying to force the RV Park out, they are not allowed to upgrade or make a lot of repairs, their septic system backs up, their wiring is substandard, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

When we visited Seattle area in late April 2016, we stayed in Carnation at Tolt-McDonald Park. I believe it is a King County park. Very nice!  

When going into the city, we parked at Issaquah bus station and took the bus.  Was very convenient.  

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

No body asked your winter question.  Winters are dark and drizzly.  Very infrequent snow west of the pass - which is a good thing because the locals can't drive in it.  And yes, the traffic is awful.  That is why we moved to Gig Harbor

I have lived all over the country, and will not be moving from here

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

Archived