Past time to leave Montana

Wrknrvr

Well we missed the best chance to leave last week. So we will deal with it.

About two weeks ago the DW was packing on a Saturday morning while I was out doing my last service call. After I was home for awhile she said she hurt her left arm at the shoulder. She had rotator cuff surgery on her right arm before. So she knows what is going to happen.

So the X-ray showed no problems. Then on Tuesday the MRI showed what was wrong.

Surgery is today.

So yesterday we had about 5" of snow total. I shoveled a path to our van and around the RV. Made sure we had water in the tanks. Then covered both our fresh water and blackwater lines. They are buried about 2 " under ground. They have insulation over them where they are exposed above the ground.

I looked out the door a few minutes ago. 18" of snow on the slide. Yea a slight wind and it drifted.

I did install a Aquahot system in the Teton. It has been working better than I thought it would. So inside temps are what I want . And have the two propane furnaces on standby. I will give more details in a week as I need to make sure everything is working.

I purchased chains for the truck, but did not pick them up yet. Possibly today.

So as soon as i can see I will get a 4x4 out and start plowing. First so the wife can get to surgery. Then a path for the 300' of travel over grass to pavement for our escape. That subject will be after next Thursday, if the surgeon says she can travel.

So no side trips, fishing or fiddling around this trip.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Hope the surgery goes well too. Next year you may have to plan an October 1st get away. Seems like you had a delay last year too!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Vern -- Sure hope you get the all-clear & can get the heck on the road by weeks' end.  Sent a couple messages to Chris, mostly just to let her know we're thinking of her.  I'm sure it's not terribly easy for her to type replies at the moment!

We're planning to leave the NM property on Saturday & be in Congress Sunday; I'm sure you'll be a few days behind us.  We're more than happy to help you get set up & all when you get in, since your helper will be out of commission (assuming you're still coming to NR this year). 

Travel safe; see you soon.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Yesterday I plowed a 3" drift from in front of the fifth wheel. Woke today and someone blew it back in again.

so I plowed it again. Then plowed out the jeep, moved it forwards. Now if the truck will start tomorrow it will be moved out so I can load the jeep. That is if the ice melts of the ramps.

temps tonight at about 8 degrees.

When we get to our site in Montana I bury the water and sewer macerator lines. It was windy along with the snow. Yep 100' of frozen water and sewer lines this am. Pulled them out today. Sota had to pour water on a few spots to thaw the ground.

So the water lines are in a heated shed. Will have water for the tank tomorrow and pump sewer also. Luckily the macerator pump did not break. Put heat tape an insulation over them with a heat tape.

Now the Auquahot heating system is working really good. Did not want to try it out like this, but ----- happens.

The wife is doing really good for her shoulder surgery. Now we have been practicing her climbing a ladder so as to get into the truck. No left arm to use for at least 3 months. But she really wants to get out of the white stuff.

Just got back from buying tire chains.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

Glad to hear DW is doing well; maybe the 2nd time is easier? 

You're a more energetic man than me -- there's no way I'd be pulling those water & sewer lines; they'd just be waiting for me when I got back in the spring.

Looks like you have a stretch of days where it's above freezing ; hope that helps.  After ONE time of staying in MT until the 3rd week of November, we said never ever again unless it's a emergency (which it kinda was that time).  Having to dodge snowstorms & icy passes does not translate to "fun times."

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Cory - DW is rv forum shorthand for Dear Wife. 

DRW - is dual rear wheel. 

Dont mix up the two when addressing the former :o

Forum shorthand is so posts can be read in 15 second attention spans like mine. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 11/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, Wrknrvr said:

The wife is doing really good for her shoulder surgery. Now we have been practicing her climbing a ladder so as to get into the truck. No left arm to use for at least 3 months. But she really wants to get out of the white stuff.

Glad the surgery went well!

Safe Travels to warmer climates!

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

It is snowing again just for fun I guess.

Anyway the DW has a doctor visit tomorrow to see how things are going. And hopefully we can leave if the doc says she is doing good.  That is if we can get there. Freezing rain and snow for tomorrow's forecast.

So then watching the forecast, it looks not so good. We will be ready by Saturday to leave. So hopefully the snow will melt on Friday and then for the ground to be frosen on Sunday am.

Now tomorrow while out we are going to look for chains for the DW.

Yep no kidding. This may sound really odd. But the DWs recovery will take three months with the arm in a sling, then three months of therapy. 

So they have chains for on your feet for winter outside activities. And they also have them for on the bottom of your feet for fishing while wading.

And she needs to climb a ladder to get in the truck. We are practicing in the RV for that subject.

So our next real planned stop will be the shooting preserve  in Vegas. One night or two to get there.

Now to finish packing inside today. And hope the ice melts of the roof my Friday night.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Yesterday I winterized the electric cord.   Went around the rear of the RV to make access for leaving and noticed the electric cord was under some snow. So started to shovel the snow off the electric line.  But the ice that came off the roof and slide fell on the electric cord. It froze about two feet of the electric line tight.

Some to help get it out I poured some RV winterizing solution on that spot. Hope it helps.

Now to load my jeep the sliding hitch needs to be forwards as far as possible. And that is where it is. And yes it is frozen in place. So I  cleaned as good as possible then poured winterizing solution over the sliding assembly. Hope it gets free.

No sun for solar melting till tomorrow. Temps are supposed to be above freezing today after we have a spell of freezing rain.

it looks like Sunday am is our time to leave. I need the ground frozen before I want to try and make our move to solid ground.

This all depends on the DW Doctors orders.

I do get bored real easy, but this is sorta a test for my patience.

And now the drivers door does not latch at the closed position. Thats just a fun thing to fix now also. I think the fuse is blown as the electric actuator is not making noise on either side.

Hope everyone else is having a good time,.  I am,   Vern

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Yesterday I winterized the electric cord.   Went around the rear of the RV to make access for leaving and noticed the electric cord was under some snow. So started to shovel the snow off the electric line.  But the ice that came off the roof and slide fell on the electric cord. It froze about two feet of the electric line tight.

Some to help get it out I poured some RV winterizing solution on that spot. Hope it helps.

Now to load my jeep the sliding hitch needs to be forwards as far as possible. And that is where it is. And yes it is frozen in place. So I  cleaned as good as possible then poured winterizing solution over the sliding assembly. Hope it gets free.

No sun for solar melting till tomorrow. Temps are supposed to be above freezing today after we have a spell of freezing rain.

it looks like Sunday am is our time to leave. I need the ground frozen before I want to try and make our move to solid ground.

This all depends on the DW Doctors orders.

I do get bored real easy, but this is sorta a test for my patience.

And now the drivers door does not latch at the closed position. Thats just a fun thing to fix now also. I think the fuse is blown as the electric actuator is not making noise on either side.

Hope everyone else is having a good time,.  I am,   Vern

Vern,

Man I am feeling your pain for you in each of your stories and updates. Two years ago we were trapped in Winter Storm Goliath in Tucuman NM, and it was awful. We were at a LaQuinta with two Fully grown German Shepherds with two queen beds. The fun part was watching the people in the parking lot slip and slide around in trucks and SUV's without snow tires on. I saw 5 wrecks happen just from people that were getting out to play in the snow. The line for the breakfast bar in the morning was awful and you only had two kinds of people in line those who were complaining and those who were trying to make the best of the situation. I was trying to make the best of it and have fun meeting people. We got out after being stuck there for a while. NM highway patrol shut down 40, but did a fine job getting it opened up. After it opened we saw many cars that skidded off of the road and into the median or ditch. I do have to say my all wheel drive Subaru did awesome on the highway even on the patches of ice that were left. It was ice patches the size of a football field.

So best of luck to you, I hope you are able to get out soon and that you find I -15 passable. It is still great weather here in the S.W. yesterday Las Vegas we were over or near the 70's for our high temperature.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Vern - boiling hot water is a great thawing fluid if the assembly is well drained or you can remove whatever it is you need before it freezes down again. 

And then there is steam. Old 20lb cylinder refit with a valve and bull plugged T so you can put water in it, off the valve swage it down to 3/8 nylon air line. Light a Tiger torch under it an you have a thawing machine. Don't leave it heating unattended. Steam she's powerful 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The good news, the DW is free to go south. Recuperating time is less for this surgery. But can only give instructions on packing the inside. She did have most of it packed before her misfortune. 

So as I type this I can hear ice falling off the RV. Hopefully it will remove itself with the temps we have today. It is 35 degrees outside presently. Maybe 40 at the high for today. There is some stuff under a drift that needs dug out. 

So I may get the jeep loaded today. Then I could move it into position to hook up tomorrow am when the ground is frozen.

I do want to thank all the people that contributed to the HDT campground guide. As the DW wants to only stay in campgrounds headed south on this trip. We normally are carefree as to where we stop at night. But she needs comfort on this trip.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Great news.  Hope all goes well with the packing.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I been out digging out of snow and ice. Got back to the electric cord that I poured RV antifreeze on.

Cord came out with just a little help Yesterday it was stuck.

There maybe some stuff I will find in the spring.

The sun even made an appearance.

Safe Travels,.  Vern

Vern   I hope that you were able to get out and heading south. Hope the DW is feeling better knowing that real sun is only ?'s miles from wherever you are. Good luck Be safe and God Speed     Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived