"Reason for edit" caused other issues

Bill Joyce

I replied on the thread "What type of RV do you Full time in?" under forum "Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle" and then realized I had a misspelling and went to edit it to fix it.  I could not save the change and noticed a "Reason for edit" showed up, so I put in my reason and it still would not save.  After a few times I gave up.  I went back to add a new comment and up popped my original message which i fixed and saved.  Now I have two message and I can't reply on that topic without adding a new variant, since it starts with my original message.  Really weird.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

4 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

I've noticed that we are getting multiple posts from people, is it because the system is running so slow?

Yes the software is slow . But , it's also because folks aren't  paying attention to what's going on and get impatient . Push the button time after time and end up with multiple posts . Then wonder why . 

Often , I get a 'saving' where the Submit Reply button is . Then seconds later it switches back and the post goes public . 

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Yes the software is slow . But , it's also because folks aren't  paying attention to what's going on and get impatient . Push the button time after time and end up with multiple posts . Then wonder why . 

Often , I get a 'saving' where the Submit Reply button is . Then seconds later it switches back and the post goes public . 

I agree. I won't say this is the case all the time but I too have noticed that sometimes when posting it says "saving" it is like watching paint dry. Other times it is immediate.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Obviously the problem I had has not happened to any of you, since your replies make no sense in my case.  I never got "Saving"", it just sat there after I hit "Save" and I was patient.  No one else has mentioned getting a "Reason for edit" field that they needed to fill out, so I suspect that showing up was the cause of my grief.  I suspect it is a forum software feature that is supposed to be disabled, but somehow popped up due to there being a poll, or a quote in the reply, or some combination of where the moon and sun were in the sky. I have been at this a long time people, I am not a newbie.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

Obviously the problem I had has not happened to any of you, since your replies make no sense in my case.  I never got "Saving"", it just sat there after I hit "Save" and I was patient.  No one else has mentioned getting a "Reason for edit" field that they needed to fill out, so I suspect that showing up was the cause of my grief.  I suspect it is a forum software feature that is supposed to be disabled, but somehow popped up due to there being a poll, or a quote in the reply, or some combination of where the moon and sun were in the sky. I have been at this a long time people, I am not a newbie.

I have had the 'reason for edit' , but that was a while ago and haven't seen it since . Yer prolly right that it has to do with the spirits in the sky . LOL

In fact , I get the 'reason for edit' every time I edit a post . I just don't see it as it's just below the bottom of my screen . I've never put any reason in that space and never had a problem , otherwise . 

I  usually edit my post but don't fill out the "reason for edit" and the edit post usually go through. I wonder if you had a weak internet  signal and the system stalled at the edit section of the post. Was this just a one time Blurp?

Edit went OK just now, and I will ignore the "reason for edit".

Interesting, after the edit was accepted, the Escapee program shut down and restarts itself, with the edit intact.

Greg

8 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

I have never filled out the "reason for edit" and my edit post usually go through. I wonder if you had a weak internet  signal and the system stalled at the edit section of the post. Was this just a one time Blurp?

Edit went OK just now, and I will ignore the "reason for edit".

Interesting, after the edit was accepted, the Escapee program shuts down and restarts itself.

Greg

I don't think I've ever experienced that^ .

On edit : let's see what happens .

On edit 2 : nothing . just went right to public display with no restarts or any other interruption . 

It seems to restart on the first edit, second or third edits go right through. I have noticed this on other post edits, but didn't think anything about it.

Edited again. Yes, it did shut down "Internet Explorer" after a 30 sec delay. It could be my security settings.

Second edit went through with no shut down, same as before.

Third edit went through with restart. Upper left box read - "Reason For Edit" caused other issues- Bugs and Features Request - Escapee Discussion Forum (not responding) Then went through restart and third edit was there. (Updated with forth edit)

Greg

Submitting a post or editing. Click summit and nothing happens. Wonder if it didn't take. Click summit again. Nothing. Close out disgusted. Go back, 2 posts.  This is with solid connection too.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Submitting a post or editing. Click summit and nothing happens. Wonder if it didn't take. Click summit again. Nothing. Close out disgusted. Go back, 2 posts.  This is with solid connection too.

That seems to be the nature of this software. Next time hit submit once then wait a few seconds and then hit F5. Scroll down and you will probably see your post.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived