SAFETY RECALL!!! Fire Extinguishers!!

Woofer01

TAKE NOTICE!! This is a NATIONWIDE RECALL of 37 Million Fire Extinguishers made by Kidde

I am having all 6 of my home Fire Extinguishers recalled and replaced by Kidde
This includes the White Type B C Fire Extinguisher in my Winnebago.
Replacements take 15 working days!
See details on link below

Retired USAF (25 Yrs)

2003 Winnebago Brave 34D

Speaking from a past life as an Indiana licensed Master Firefighter specializing in fire safety and arson investigation, ALL dry chemical extinguishers must be inverted and shaken and/or hit against a tire to loosen the dry powder, because it gets shaken down/compacted from not being moved daily and often will not work as designed otherwise. This was taught in fire schools since the early '70'''s.

This recall should apply to ALL portable  dry chemical extinguishers IMO. I'll be phoning in my extinguisher model numbers Monday, thanks for the heads-up.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Speaking from a past life as an Indiana licensed Master Firefighter specializing in fire safety and arson investigation, ALL dry chemical extinguishers must be inverted and shaken and/or hit against a tire to loosen the dry powder, because it gets shaken down/compacted from not being moved daily and often will not work as designed otherwise. This was taught in fire schools since the early '70'''s.

This recall should apply to ALL portable  dry chemical extinguishers IMO. I'll be phoning in my extinguisher model numbers Monday, thanks for the heads-up.

Very good advice , Ray . Thank You . :)

Goes around , comes around .

On 11/4/2017 at 7:47 PM, Ray,IN said:

Nothing to do with clogging or damp powder....

Also "speaking from the past"  - depending on the governing body, extinguishers located in *businesses* (or other occupancies where  mandated) are required to be serviced annually.

Many of the servicing agencies would NOT service extinguishers with plastic parts (handle, nozzle, etc.) due to safety concerns when re-pressurizing. 

You (usually) won't find the *small*  portable dry chem extinguishers on fire apparatus, usually they are the large Ansul type.  However, due to the above, you won't find extinguishers (with plastic parts) mounted on the walls in fire stations.

It's not difficult to find 2A 10 BC portable extinguishers with metal head, nozzles, and handles at reasonable retail prices.  

And yes - for home (or RV) use you should be checking the gauge to be sure it's charged and periodically inverting and tapping the bottom to insure the powder doesn't "pack down".

When you think it's time for a new one - it's time for a "fire drill' with the old one!  Take it outside and discharge it - see how it works and how to use it.

BTW - information at seminars and/or equipment by/from "Mac The Fire Guy" is  excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived