Semi / snow - Bob tail

Vegas Teacher

Bobtail, rear end will dance around a bit. Some people say to avoid exhaust brake on ice and rain. Don’t be in a hurry and find a speed you feel comfortable. I personally don’t ever plan to drive the truck with or without a trailer in the snow and ice. Just not my cup of tea as I’ve had some terrifying experiences in cars and pickups. Saying that no other way to get experience. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

OOOHhhhh man, IF you do this BE CAREFUL! Been there done that! Like Suite Success said, they will dance around. Be very gentle on the throttle and easy on the brakes. The stopping part is probably the most challenging, but keep in mind that when I did it ABS was in its infancy and the one truck I drove that had it the ABS was disconnected.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Cory 

If you have a hauler body installed it will help but it still will be the worst thing you have ever driven in the snow.  I know some commercial drivers won’t even consider driving in the snow without a trailer.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and you don’t have to get the experience.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I would add to the above: Don't use the cruise control on any kind of slippery road conditions.  Biggest problem I have had in the past is going down a steep grade with a curve at the bottom.  Backend wants to break loose.  Brake early and not in the turn.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

The front end is quite heavy. The rear is very light. There will be minimal traction with how light the rear end is. The tires will spin very easy under power. And when braking they will skid very easy. Chains will help but at that you are doing <35mph. I have been trying to figure out how to add removable weight to my rear end for winter use. Even with the trailer its not adding much.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Without some weight on the rear tires it will be more of a challenge but if you keep the speed in check in wet or icy conditions it is certainly possible.  My biggest concern would be mountain passes.  Chains may be necessary!  What route are you planning?

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

36 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Without some weight on the rear tires it will be more of a challenge but if you keep the speed in check in wet or icy conditions it is certainly possible.  My biggest concern would be mountain passes.  Chains may be necessary!  What route are you planning?

I - 40

1 hour ago, Imurphy907 said:

The front end is quite heavy. The rear is very light. There will be minimal traction with how light the rear end is. The tires will spin very easy under power. And when braking they will skid very easy. Chains will help but at that you are doing <35mph. I have been trying to figure out how to add removable weight to my rear end for winter use. Even with the trailer its not adding much.

I added 4000 lb Jeep.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

You could stop by our campsite and pickup my single wheel chains for the steer tires. Ya just don't know what you may have to do.

That is if we get out of Montana in time. 7" of snow on the ground and 300 ' of grass to get over to hard road surface..  Can not leave for a least a week.

Practice, Practice and more Practice. That is if nothing gets bent. If your feelings hurt, chalk it up to experience .

Along time ago I did run chains on the front wheels driving a drilling  rig of the side of a mountain in the winter.

Pay attention to the weather and drive respectably. You may want to have chains just in case a smokie makes you use them.

Be safe ,.  Vern

My advise is, DONT......

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I drive US 54 and I 40 between Hutch and L.A. often, "most" bad storms are later in the season.   I do recall being in OKC around Xmas in an ice storm, not pretty.     I think you are from Pittsburg ?     Closest airport will be Wichita, Allegiant   has gambler specials nonstop to Las Vegas 2-3 times a week.     Even with a car rental it would be cheaper than trucking it.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

19 hours ago, Ronbo said:

A couple water containers strapped to the bed. 100galloms equals a little over 800lbs so it will add up quickly.

I run waste oil in 330 gallon totes. The totes themselves only cost $50 on Craigslist and need a footprint of roughly 4'x4'. Get four of those on the back end (8'x8' footprint), fill them with water, and you'll have 9600+ lbs of traction. Drain them when you're out of the snow areas and you'll be back down to the ~200 lbs of empty totes....

27 minutes ago, Black said:

I run waste oil in 330 gallon totes. The totes themselves only cost $50 on Craigslist and need a footprint of roughly 4'x4'. Get four of those on the back end (8'x8' footprint), fill them with water, and you'll have 9600+ lbs of traction. Drain them when you're out of the snow areas and you'll be back down to the ~200 lbs of empty totes....

Just curious.  Do you need to add any RV antifreeze in the totes if you go this way?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Corey, I don't want to sound ugly. And I only know you from this forum. I don't think you have enough experiance driving on normal road conditions. Least bobtail in possible bad weather.

With that said

Have you considered what you will do for fuel treatment? Don't wait until your in cold weather to treat. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Just curious.  Do you need to add any RV antifreeze in the totes if you go this way?

We have some engineers on here who can give a true thermodynamics answer but I'd wager it would have to be awfully cold for awfully long to freeze 330 gallons of water. Add to that the sloshing motion that would constantly break up forming ice crystals and I'd bet give or take 7-10 days of single digit temps to freeze it solid all the way through.

For his trip I'm sure he'd be fine but if anyone would care to do the actual science and get the calculated number, I'd love to read it!

1. Take off all the Tupperware and store it at home.

2. Check Coach-Net is up to date.

3. The first big parking lot with a nice cover of mild snow you come to get in there and learn what is "palm the wheel".

4. Practice is the key.  A study done in Canada last year found 98% of drivers about to hit the ditch said "Oh shit!" The other 2% live in Saskatchewan and said. "Hold my beer and watch this!"

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived