MS Surface Pro 4 Advise (RV)

DJW

RV

Need some advice on the Surface Pro 4 that just arrived for the DIL's Christmas present.  I am guessing that there is a ton of crap on the SSD the could be removed.  I really did not want to fire it up or unwrap it before giving it to her when she is here over Thanksgiving.  From your experience  with your Surface Pro 4 how much crap should I expect on the SSD?  After she opens it what software should I install to remove it?  In the past I have used CC clearner and something else that I cannot remember the name of (Pro something or the other by Real?)  I as I recall you can get a 30 day free trial  I will also install Malwarebyts.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

From what I remember reading the Surface was taken off Consumer Reports because it was a POS. My wife has one and hers has display problems after 6 months. My Pro 3 had the battery bulge and crack the display.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Consumer Reports actually said Microsoft products performed well (Very Good or Excellent) in their tests; their reason for their recommending them.  The change to that recommendation came in the "Product Updates" section of CR Magazine and is the result of a 25% breakage rate in the 1st two years.  Interestingly, 5 of the 8 major brands had a 20% or greater breakage rate.  "Breakage" is used as a term to also include failure to start up, freezing, unexpected shutdowns, and low touch screen response.

My Surface Pro is a very expensive paperweight.  Bought it hoping to replace my laptop on summer travels, but found it simply doesn't, functionally.  My touchscreen response is similar to what early tablets had 5-6 years ago, and far inferior to my Samsung Pro 12.1 and 8" S2 tablets, and even my Note 3 phone; none of which replace a laptop either, except for consumption.   Mine was never reported to CR.

Statistics are very malleable.  The CR data can also be described as 75% of owners of Surface laptops and  tablets found them acceptable.  RV - take heart!

Dennis,

Both of my units were bought refurbished and had no crapware on them save some games which I never play. So I don't know hat they come with new. I just load Malwarebytes, Office 2010 Home And Business and CCleaner. I do my uninstalls manually. I prefer to pick and choose. I always use Revo pro to check that all remnants of program are gone.

F, big difference between my SP 3 & 4. SP = Surface Pro. Which is yours that you dislike. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I don't know how the Surface Pro compares to the Surface Laptop in use (the specs are similar), but the Surface Laptop, at least, is an outstanding machine The screen is perfect, and very responsive. I got the Laptop rather than the Pro mainly because I wanted the keyboard and appreciate the slightly larger screen. So far, it is an excellent machine.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

RV thanks.  I could not remember that name:  Revo Pro Uninstaller

Jack:  I ordered the Brydge Keyboard.  I got it for $110 and free shipping.  I am sure she will love it.  Thanks Again for the tip.

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

• 4 weeks later...

So I gave the Surface Pro 4 to my DIL for Christmas while they were here for Thanksgiving.  Got all the updates done but the screen flickers when it is running on battery not while it is on the charger?  Did some research  and thought it might be the Hypper-V windows feature but it was already  disabled so that was not the problem.  Of course the Surface Pro 4 is now in Charlottesville, VA.  The DIL is doing research on the Windows Community Forum today but was hopping someone might have some guidance on how to correct this issue.  Is it a software issue or a hardware issue.  A video card driver issue.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Call Microsoft if it is new and in warranty. They can remote into it and see if it needs to be exchanged for a replacement unit or not. I had to go through two returns of my Surface Pro 3 as the replacement had a yellow stripe down one side. Third one counting my refurb was a charm. There are a lot of scammers out there that show up in the returns so just to be safe here is the MS number I call them on: (800)642-7676.

I gotta tell you that when in warranty I always call tech support for a quick fix or return/replace

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...

Update

After several days of being bounced around at MS the DIL finally found  someone who would take responsibility for it.  They tried a few things over the phone and then said we will send you a new one send that one back.  She shipped it back and within 24 hours a new one was on the FedX truck.  It arrived went through the setup and downloaded all the updates and is working like a champ.

Jack:  Also got her the keyboard that you recommended.  She is a happy DIL.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

MS is great with MS products. But it may take a call or two to get there. I am definitely going to have to send mine back as it has a touch issue where I have to tap several times for a touch to register. Mine is the i7, 8GB, 256GB SSD version of the Surface Pro 4. My Pro 3 had to be replaced too. It is great after two years of use and is the i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD version. I love the thinness, light weight, and 10 hour battery of the Pro 4.

I'm glad she got it all squared away. Enjoy!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

The DIL's Pro 4 has the same spec's as your Pro 3.  i5, 4GB Ram, 128 SSD. Thanks for that phone number, I think that is what allowed her to get to the right person.  She is happy, happy.  Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again for all your advise and assistance to the forum.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

My pleasure Dennis, glad to help.

Happy holidays to you and yours too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived