Securing fridge door while traveling

chirakawa

I would appreciate suggestions on how to secure the doors on a residential type refrigerator while traveling.  My fridge has no external handles.

Thanks.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks for responses.

My fridge is a two door, upper freezer and lower fridge, with recessed handles.  Cabinets on one side, single stile on the other.

I'd thought about velcro, but didn't really want to glue a piece to the front of the doors.  Where can I find industrial quality velcro straps over two feet long?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Our newly installed frig has the reversible door option which means the hinges can be swapped to the opposite side. Using parts from Home Depot, I fabricated a stop to keep the door closed during travel using the opposite hinge holes. I believe the bolts were 6mm, I still need to find a longer one piece bolt. You can remove one of the frig hinge screws to take to the store and the handle was from the knob dept. This is still a design in progress, but you get the idea, a large fender washer would better hold the lower door tighter.

Edit - Better yet just use the outside hinge hole as suggested by Chirakawa, no washer needed.

Greg

Knob2.JPG

Knob1.JPG

As another already posted, I used Velcro strap. Lowes has them in their Velcro department. You can get a package many feet long and use the excess for hose bundle ties or for extension cord ties. I used a small 1" piece that I had before that has self adhesive on each end of the straps and put them on the cabinetry in a inconspicuous place. Made one for top and bottom door. Just roll up and stick in a drawer when we land.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

30 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Thanks Greg.  That's the exact same fridge I have.  How did you adapt the knob to the 6 mm bolt?

The knob has a threaded nut molded into it, so it just a matter of threading the bolt into It (use glue or locktite). Now I remember the issue was I couldn't find a 6mm threaded rod, so I used 2 bolts and welded the heads together. If I find a 4", 6mm bolt, I would cut the head off, clean the threads, and thread it into the knob. The lower door can still open by about 1" due to the recessed handle opening, this is where the oversized fender washer would help.

Greg

Simple, we have a cabinet above and the furnace below our Sears 10.7 cf residential fridge we installed a few years ago.  I added eye screws in them and hook a large bungee cord  between them.    Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

On my old trailer the rv fridge catches didn't always work well so I went with bungee cord through a couple of eye hooks.  I was brand new at rving so I added a little flag note on it to reminded me to crank down the tv antenna and I put a note on the tv crank reminding me to use the bungee. I need all the help I can get.  I had a small spill accident due to door openning before I started using the bungee. Thank goodness it wasn't syrup or honey.

26 minutes ago, bigjim said:

On my old trailer the rv fridge catches didn't always work well so I went with bungee cord through a couple of eye hooks.  I was brand new at rving so I added a little flag note on it to reminded me to crank down the tv antenna and I put a note on the tv crank reminding me to use the bungee. I need all the help I can get.  I had a small spill accident due to door openning before I started using the bungee. Thank goodness it wasn't syrup or honey.

Yeah ... You need all the syrup and honey you can get . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I used four of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARADQR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One at the top and one at the bottom of the frig doors and one on each side of the freezer drawer.  Attached with 3M VHB foam tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CC146DM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The look like they belong there.

Lenp

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived