Truck frame extention pics

runaway parents

5 hours ago, rickndeb1125 said:

You can go to comfortridehitch.com look under photos at bottom of facebook page and see my stretch, only thing is  I hinged my tail end to drop down as loading ramp. Silver volvo 

Hi Rick, were you at the ECR this year?  I never got to look up close at your deck mechanism.  Do you have a work in progress blog by any chance?

Kevin

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 11/1/2017 at 12:29 PM, rickndeb1125 said:

You can go to comfortridehitch.com look under photos at bottom of facebook page and see my stretch, only thing is  I hinged my tail end to drop down as loading ramp. Silver volvo 

That don't whip the trailer around with the 5th wheel so far behind the rear axle? How does that effect backing into a spot compared to having the 5th wheel farther ahead?

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6-7 feet behind the last tractor is doable depending on the trailer setup- pin weight, distance to axle etc.  As far as backing, having the hitch to the rear allows the 5th wheel to act as a bumper pull.  Much more maneuverable. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Am I creating a problem buy moving this hitch 6-7 feet back? That's why I went with a fifth wheel to get away from the fish tailing that goes on with a bumper pull. I need to here from you guys and gals an get your opinion on how your rig handles . I like the lack of the white knuckle effect that comes with this rig and don't want to go back.

2 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Am I creating a problem buy moving this hitch 6-7 feet back? That's why I went with a fifth wheel to get away from the fish tailing that goes on with a bumper pull. I need to here from you guys and gals an get your opinion on how your rig handles . I like the lack of the white knuckle effect that comes with this rig and don't want to go back.

We are at 6' behind our single axle and can go 8' but have not tried that yet. If you leave it tandem you should have no problems handling wise but your overall length may cause some issues in some states if you get over max length (and they decide to enforce it) and trying to get in some campgrounds but you just have to do more looking for the right spot. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:29 PM, rickndeb1125 said:

Is this it?

18056353_758016744367937_585572605146376

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Is this it?

20992889_823136294522648_112146543690353

Jim

Is this it?

20992889_823136294522648_112146543690353

Jim

I have measured a few motorhomes with tail swings in excess of 14 Ft towing three axle 15K stacker trailers and they were stable when I trailed them over fairly twisty & hilly two lane outback highways........bus's tend to be fairly stable tow rigs....

Drive on........(Loooong wheelbase.......tend to be stable)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Those doing 6-8' overhangs with the hitch at the back need to consider their weights and measures carefully. It is totally dependent on the weights involve, if you are tandem or single, and your specific truck loading. I'd have DT run some numbers for you before doing a long extension with the hitch at the back - especially if you have a heavy pin weight (eg. 6,000lbs+)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My truck is tandem and the hitch is 9' from the center of the 2 axles.  We built this setup many years ago.  It drives fine and stable and I love the weight on the rear axles.  With the air lockers it has gotten us out of some serious places, where friends needed a 4x4. I don't think this type of setup would work as well singled. The pin weight is about 4,500.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

7 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Those doing 6-8' overhangs with the hitch at the back need to consider their weights and measures carefully. It is totally dependent on the weights involve, if you are tandem or single, and your specific truck loading. I'd have DT run some numbers for you before doing a long extension with the hitch at the back - especially if you have a heavy pin weight (eg. 6,000lbs+)

Hi Jack here's what I am planning to do . I have a 20 ft orchard flat bed  I have rebuilt it and re shaped.  Beaver tailed the rear six ft and have 14ft of flat deck. In the beaver tail I have a compartment built out of 1/2 inch plate steel to accommodate  fifth wheel hitch.

I am planning to haul a 2017 jeep renegade on it.  Pin weaight on trailer is 1400 lbs. Pulling a 31 ft 2011 keystone copper canyon. Still planning to remain tandem.

All along I was under the understanding that this was not going to change the way the trailer pulled.(no fish tailing) half way into a bed build and several thousand dollars invested  I read a comment ." when extended, trailers back like a bumper mount hitch."

Talk about a way to put a halt on a bed build.  Had bad  experiences pulling bumper pulled trailers. Hopefully  I am I am just over reacting. Just need some reassurance this will  work fine Thanks for your help

Big difference between towing a big bumper pull trailer with a pickup truck, and pulling what is effectively a "bumper pull" setup with an hdt.  In the first case your trailer far outweighed your short wheelbase pickup, in the second case your long wheelbase truck will outweigh your relatively small fifth.  The other posters example of backing like a bumper pull was to illustrate the lateral swing your setup will have to help maneuver the trailer while backing.  The lateral swing will push the front of the trailer around with far far less steering the truck vs. a fifth mounted over the axles.  That was all.  On my mdt I wish I have put the hitch back 3' or so instead of my setup over the axle.

To put it in perspective....I have a 6' extension on my truck, similar to what you are doing.  Then I have an AirSafe Class 5 receiver on the back of that (adding additional length).  Pulling a ~10k lbs 36' long travel trailer with a roughly 1k lbs tongue weight.  Carrying anything from a sedan to a large truck on the bed of the truck.

Zero issues with stability.  It is rock solid.  No fish tailing, no trailer swaying, nothing.  Regardless of wind direction, grade, camber, ruts or turns.  Your planned setup will pull the trailer's pivot point significantly farther forward than mine, and you have a shorter trailer.  So, you should expect to exceed my towing stability.

The comments about the fifth wheel trailing backing up like a travel trailer were meant to highlight one of the benefits of having the hitch placed further behind the rear axles.  It makes backing up much easier than with the hitch over the rear axle.  You can swing the trailer into tight spots with less movement of the steering wheel.  It's a benefit, not a detriment.

I've experienced instability with pulling tag-along trailers, so I know what you're talking about.  Have no fear, you won't have that experience with the setup that you're planning.  Please do post photos, though.  I would love to see the progress and finished product.

Thanks for the reassurance .Dw (my accountant)feels better about this also. So the build is back on. I have a lot of pics I can post. Kids (the computer wizards)are coming over for Thankgiving . They  will help me post some. I can build buildings from the ground up weld up a storm but when it comes to these computers. When one thing goes out of whack it is time to call the kids. Keep in mind this bed is a 35 year old bed I found out in the middle of an apple orchard. Pretty ruff when I bought it.  With a little elbow grease it is cleaning up nicely. WII try to post some pics shortly after turkey day . Might try sooner last time I did turned into a hair pulling event. So we will see what happens.

Runaway....you will not have any real stability issues with that setup. You may feel some induced movement in the trailer if yanking the wheel on the truck around while at highway speeds. But nothing really much. Your weights would not concern me at all.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack sounds great  .Time to get back to building a bed.And a little less worrying. Building this bed outside. Forecast snow tonight. Might shut me down for a while. Almost have it framed up going to wait till spring to install diamond plaiting .Want to have access to structural steel to clean an possibly sand blast for painting. To cold for that now. Like a kid with a new toy. Its going to be a long winter.

Thanks again guys for the help.

Archived