alcohol strength (external)

bigjim

When using rubbing alcohol for things like cleaning something what is the significance of say 50% versus a stronger concentration?  Actually I wonder what  difference it makes when using it medically at one concentration versus another.  In the current case I am using to clean a surface before appling a patch.

I use the alcohol prep pads from my glucose testing to clean where I will use Command Strips. The box says those pads are 70% alcohol. Been doing this to hang and remove many strips over the years. The only failure I had was when I hung something on a hook that was heavier than the hook was rated for in a bathroom without using the special strips for humid areas.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I considered using something else to clean/prep but the instructions said to prep with alcohol so I went that way. I used the cheap stuff 50% from Dollar General and that got me to thinking about the percentages.  I had also used it on the inside of my windsheild on the film that develops over time. It didn't work well for that.  I used something else on another windshield years ago but can't remember what it was. May have been Acetone. I tried vinegar, ammonia and a couple of other things that didn't work. I did use some WD-40 in just the area of the registration sticker but of course had to get that off before I put the sticker  on.

Archived