UltraShift issue

GlennWest

My truck wants to hold my starting off gear, 2nd, too long. Now if I really baby it, it shifts around 15k. If give any decent throttle, will go in Orange area and linger before shifting. Then quickly threw next several shifts. I can use paddle shift and correct. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

When my fuel filter becomes plugged mine will hold gears too long. It will also not have as much power. The other option is reset your computer by disconnecting batteries and reconnecting.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

My fuel filter good. I have the clear one that can check by eyesight. So reset with batteries. It just starting gear, so I feel it must be programming. Will try that. Thanks.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glen,

Mine will do that sometimes if I try to give it to much fuel starting off especially on slight uphill grade. It’s trying to match speed and rpms in my opinion and I have found if I just slowly increase the throttle it solved the issue for me. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Does this happen when you first start out driving for the Day?

UltraShift has to "learn" your weight and load when it starts out for the day.

At 1500 RPM it begins to "sense" your weight and how much "torque" was required to get to the 1500 RPM's.

The procedure is to "manually" upshift at 1500 RPM to let the UltraShift "force it to learn" your total weight and set the shift points accordingly. This seems to be more of an annoyance when bobtailing.

Next time you start out for the day try "upshifting" at 1500 RPM's and see what happens.  The manual states something to the effect that this "learning" process could take a few shifts to settle into a normal shifting pattern. Depending how often you drive your truck it may not have to repeat this process at every start up.

I also found a "trick" to get the UltraShift to "skip" a gear........if you start off with too much throttle and get the RPM's around 1800 it will sometimes "skip" a gear to keep from over revving  when shifting to the next higher gear. You may also notice when the RPM's get high it will upshift to the next gear and then immediately upshift again to keep the RPM's in the right range.

As always..... your milage may vary based on year and software version of your UltaShift.

I get along fine most of time. If I need to go thru a stop, creeping out is a real bummer. I know if another truck beside me, they leave me. They seem to be auto shift also. 

3 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Does this happen when you first start out driving for the Day?

UltraShift has to "learn" your weight and load when it starts out for the day.

At 1500 RPM it it starts to "sense" your weight and how much "torque" was required to get there.

The procedure is to "manually" upshift at 1500 RPM to let the UltraShift "learn" your total weight and set the shift points accordingly. This seems to be more of an annoyance when bobtailing.

Next time you start out for the day try "upshifting" at 1500 RPM's and see what happens.  The manual states something to the effect that this "learning" process could take a few shifts to settle in to a normal shifting pattern.

No, I drove over to daughters the other day. Several stop/starts. 60 mile trip one way. Yes, bobtail. I will get in habit of manual shift to third and see if it straightens out. Mine not a plus, so second high as I can take off.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Really would like for Eaton to write a program for our UltraShifts to make them skip shift. 

I did, they won't, the issue is the centrifugal clutch, and keeping the RPM high enough to keep it engaged. I can get it to skip shift going down, but I have to slow down really fast.  I even asked about getting a higher starting gear (3rd), and they won't do that, they claim it would burn out the clutch faster as it would slip more when starting from a stop.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Makes me happy I have the autoshift. I can tell it to start in 3rd gear and it will remember until shut off. I can skip shift if I put it in manual and hit up button twice. I can feather the clutch to bump the kingpin. It would be nice not to have a clutch pedal though. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

In our 2005 Freightliner with an Ultrashift, if I am running bobtail and I remember, I do the following:

After starting the truck and right after I put it in drive before moving, I hit the paddle shifter to up shift to 3rd. Then I drive like normal and truck will up shift and down shift. When coming to a stop, it will remember the starting 3rd gear until I shut truck off. It will then default back to our normal starting 2nd gear.

If I forget to upshift to 3rd, I just wait till I come to a complete stop and do it then. 

I have been manually able to skip gears, but I only do that if I am bobtail and want to feel like an F1 racer with the paddle shifter!

I do not believe we have the "Plus" version

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Something to remember is not all Ultrashifts are created equal. Each truck manufacturer can “customize” their software, firmware, and even the “controller”. Frightliner uses a really cool “smart shift” stalk controller on the steering column that is programmed differently from those of us with the controller with push buttons next to the seat.

As already mentioned the centrifugal clutch makes programming a challenge! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it will work for you but try double selecting an up shift (2 clicks instead of 1) just before you let off the throttle to initiate the upshift. Don't click to fast. 

My experience is 99% with 18spd UltraShift Plus trans which are fairly sophistimicated, and the other 50% was with Autoshift 18spd. 

Both in Kenworth trucks and both would allow skip shift selecting as long as the skip to gear was in the engine operating range when in D mode. In M mode you could skip shift to any engine rpm above idle.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived