back in the trailer again

Ed from Bama

Good morning to all- My wife and I are retired teachers- I'm an outdoor writer for various fishing/boating magazines. We just got back a month ago from a very, very long year spent in Phoenix helping with grandsons. It was a very long year in the desert.

We have a lot at Port St Joe Florida where we have utilities set up for our little 23 foot pull behind RV trailer.  We got the lot mowed, and now we're ready to hook the trailer up and pull her back down to the lot where we go to spend a couple of days every week or so. We don't take many  trips to other destinations with the trailer- it's just too easy to leave it on the lot and use that as home bases for fishing/paddling trips in the Florida Panhandle- great water, good food, not too many people.

While we were living in Arizona, we took lots of sanity-saving weekend trips up in the mountains, and I was impressed with some RVers I saw out there pulling trailers up and down mountain roads that I was a bit puckered to drive in just our minivan. Some of those folks got some serious boldness about them to be pulling RVs around some of those mountains.

But we're about ready to go to the RV for some fishing and getting away from the phone and internet. 

Good to find this forum. Good day to all- Ed

3 hours ago, Ed from Bama said:

While we were living in Arizona, we took lots of sanity-saving weekend trips up in the mountains, and I was impressed with some RVers I saw out there pulling trailers up and down mountain roads that I was a bit puckered to drive in just our minivan. Some of those folks got some serious boldness about them to be pulling RVs around some of those mountains.

Ha ha, I'm one of them...not probably in Arizona yet since I just got here, but I am guilty. I have hauled trailers for years and years, including cattle and horses, which is actually where I started. There are some ridiculous-looking roads I have had to haul a loaded gooseneck trailer up and down so a 5W feels like a dream since it doesn't contain any moving bodies!!!

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Welcome to the forum. Yep, there are a lot of us that have pulled our rigs on some crazy roads. Still remember the Million Dollar Highway in CO with our fifth wheel! Like you, we now have a much smaller travel trailer and guess I think it would go almost anywhere I'd take the truck. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

On 10/26/2017 at 6:11 AM, Ed from Bama said:

I was impressed with some RVers I saw out there pulling trailers up and down mountain roads that I was a bit puckered to drive in just our minivan.

Welcome to the forums! Jump in and contribute at any time. 

Most of us here believe that our RV's have wheels to enable us to spend time in many different parts of the country. Have you never wanted to just park the RV by a mountain stream and enjoy the sound all night? Or perhaps have a personal retreat while you visit friends who live in a city, or while you visit some of the major attractions? And what of the multitude of historic sites all over this great country? You really need to expand your horizons and join us as we take our RVs and move on down the road, even if it is only to discover what lies just over that next hill! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk- Well, I appreciate what you say about traveling. I do enjoy going to different parts of the country- and I do this fairly often. I am an outdoor writer for a number of magazines, and I get sent on trips fairly often. I get to go to some pretty cool places, and some one else pays for it- and I don't have to drive.

I DO NOT enjoy cities or major attractions. The older I get, the less I like being around other people. I really don't like towing the RV in freeway traffic.

I really do enjoy just setting up on our lot and cooking and watching the eagles fly over on their way to the bay.

I guess my kind of RVing is different from most. I just like going to our place and getting comfortable- without the traveling.

Good night to all- Ed

11 hours ago, Ed from Bama said:

I do enjoy going to different parts of the country- and I do this fairly often. I am an outdoor writer for a number of magazines, and I get sent on trips fairly often.

Now I understand! Before I retired (way back in olden days, I got to where I didn't enjoy motels/hotels or eating out due to my work-related travel, but I kept going the same locations, over and over for my job. And I was always on a timeline too so it left me anxious to travel to new places and with an RV so I didn't stay in motels or eat out. As a result we have tended to travel very slowly and spend extended periods in each location and usually don't return. 

11 hours ago, Ed from Bama said:

I guess my kind of RVing is different from most. I just like going to our place and getting comfortable- without the traveling.

There is really no wrong way as long as the folks in the RV enjoy the trip!  In my opinion, the only limit to the different ways to use an RV is the imagination of those inside! I think that everyone has a travel style that is at least partially due to our work-day life. Not many of us have gotten to experience the variety of places that you have so I'd bet you have some interesting stories to tell! I'd love to hear some of them one day!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good morning to all- Kirk, I suspect you're right- there probably is no single reason/style of doing the RV thing.  Different strokes for different folks.

Yep, I've been to some pretty nice places getting to do "research" - that means going fishing, through the years.

We've been to the Smokies several times, the Florida Keys a couple of times, Belize, Lousiana a lot- I love Louisiana for fishing- not so much for driving, Missouri and Oklahoma some, All over Florida a lot, and last month, I went to Wisconsin to look at new Yamaha outboard motors.

So, my idea of a good trip in the RV is to just load up kayaks in the back of the truck, stop at the Publix at Panama City on the way and buy a few days' worth of grub, and then spend some time kayak fishing at St Joe Bay or paddling down the Wakulla or Wacissa Rivers.

Planning on going back there in a few days-

good day to all- Ed

1 hour ago, Ed from Bama said:

Good morning to all- Kirk, I suspect you're right- there probably is no single reason/style of doing the RV thing.  Different strokes for different folks.

Yep, I've been to some pretty nice places getting to do "research" - that means going fishing, through the years.

We've been to the Smokies several times, the Florida Keys a couple of times, Belize, Lousiana a lot- I love Louisiana for fishing- not so much for driving, Missouri and Oklahoma some, All over Florida a lot, and last month, I went to Wisconsin to look at new Yamaha outboard motors.

So, my idea of a good trip in the RV is to just load up kayaks in the back of the truck, stop at the Publix at Panama City on the way and buy a few days' worth of grub, and then spend some time kayak fishing at St Joe Bay or paddling down the Wakulla or Wacissa Rivers.

Planning on going back there in a few days-

good day to all- Ed

Sounds just right , Ed . Have fun . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived