Lifeline Float Value Changes

Smitty77_7

When I heard that Lifeline had changed their recommended Float voltage value from 13.1 to 13.3V, I decided to wait until we finished this years travels to make changes in our system. I believe Lifeline made this change in their February of 2017 Tech Revision update.

I called Magnum yesterday, and asked if the MS2812 Default AGM1 (Lifeline - AGM2 = other AGM manufactures.) would be updating their AGM1 default values for Float. And, I was curious if their was away to update this via on my system. If I understood the answer correctly, yes, they believe they will be updating their Float value in the future (Tech was not sure when.). He said that by swapping out the MS2812 control board, it would then have this change to AGM1 setting. (I'm not planning to swapping out the control board, on my dime, just for this one change. May look closer to see if any other features have been added to the new released control boards, but the Float change would not trigger my purchase!)

So I will just go in and use the Magnum Custom profiles to set the phases of battery voltage. 

I was reading on one of the boating community forums, the opinion that this minor increase in Float Voltage, was to help prevent 'battery walk down' from consistent undercharging to Full. (The thread had lots of 'opinion's' on this subject. With most feeling it was probably the main reason why Lifeline made the increase of Float values, but also most felt over the life of a properly maintained Lifeline, minimal to no real impact occurred with 13.1 vs 13.3V Float.)

And that is the reason for my post. This gang has some member's I look to as real experts on all things batteries:)! And wanted opinions on if you feel a 13.1 vs 13.3V Float would have a 'walk down effect' on a bank of Lifeline's?

Best to all, have fun, be safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have not talked with Lifeline. Speculation on the Boating Forum, was the batteries were not reaching 100% SOC, and thus gradually starting to walk down. (Again, many dissenting opinions on this - as most thought it would take multiple charges to the 87.5-92.5% SOC range, before the batteries would start walking back capacity to that new 'norm'. 

As Float is usually to 'Maintain', but if plugged in and on Float for a longer period of time (Like in storage between trips.) - the concern was it would also slowly lower the level of charge downwards too. 

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

If someone doesn't use their batteries very often (months at a time connected to shore power) the float voltage of 13.1V would be OK.  It keeps the batteries from being overcharged as they may be if left at 13.4V or 13.5V for float voltage.

On the other hand, for those who use their batteries (dry camp/boondock), I would set my solar controller to a float voltage of 13.4V so I was sure to get the batteries to 100% SOC.  Float voltage of 13.1V when charging with a generator wouldn't matter.  You won't get to 100% SOC unless you ran your generator for 6-12 hours. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hi Al - We kind of think a like about this....

> When in travel mode, we have our MidNite Classic 150 sending juice to the batteries. And I have the float set to 13.4V (May drop that to 13.3V, or not...). 

> When not traveling and plugged into Shore Power for a few months at a time. I turn set the Classic 150 to Off mode, and no juice from the Solar (Due to only 2 solid hours of sun where it is parked, I found it maintained the batteries pretty well, without shore power. But we now keep the Samsung on all of the time, where as before we'd turn off the Norcold while in non travel mode. And after a few days of clouds, I'd spot check and we'd be down to 85% SOC in the early AM, and only reach ~90-92% SOC by evening time. Thus we now plug the coach into a 20A outlet.

> I'm going to change the MS2812 over to custom values, and use the 13.3V Float Lifeline recommends. 

Only a little over 1.5% increase going 13.1 to 13.3V. Even considered just use the Magnum AGM2 setting, which is 13.5V float, just under 1.5% over the new 13.3V recommendation from Lifeline. I suspect the X's 4 L16's would have also been just as happing with 13.5V float... as we're not talking large variations in Float here. And I'd rather be a bit on the high side, vs being a bit on the low side of a happy Float value for the Lifeline's. But, will use he 13.3V and monitor how things go. 

(I did on this years travel, have LBCO kick in while boon docking and during the coffee pots brewing, for the first time. It happened twice to me. (Posted about that here for input.) I did change my LBCO to a bit lower value, as within 30 mins of resting after the LBCO kicked in - the voltage readings were indicating that my SOC level's were still above 70%. I set the LBCO lower after checking SOC in the AM, before brewing the coffee. Then set it back once the brew process is over. When I talked with Lifeline about this, they said it sound like perhaps my bank were 'walking down' to a new 'norm' level thinking they were fully charged. I did go ahead and due my first ever Conditioning of these about 5 year old batteries. And perhaps that is why the LBCO had started to kick in, where in the past it never had under similar conditions. I was surprised the Lifeline Tech I talked to, did not mention the new Float values to me at that time... This was in late summer when I had the LBCO events.)

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

(Note: I did find a good thread under the Entegra owner group titled Lifeline AGM Battery Settings. Good input from Don on this thread. If anyone wants to read up on the Float change, and specifically Magnum inverter/chargers, which the Entegra's use.)

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived