"Musty" smell from A/C ducts

johnschnee

In recent months my Dear Wife has been noticing a faint "musty" smell emanating from our 14 Bounder's A/C ductwork when the A/C cycles on: it seems to last for just a minute or so, then it disappears. We use our rig about 1/2 the year & it doesn't seem to matter if it's been in storage for 2 months or if we are the middle of a months-long trip & running the A/C on auto for days. Suggestions?

Dusted air can develop that problem over time whether in use or not. It may be just some accumulation of dust and dirt,  could be bug nests and webs, or it may be some type of mould. We had that in our Cruise Master after several years of constant use and resolved it by using aerosol deodorant (Lysol) sprayed generously into the air intake with the air conditioners operating. If that type of effort does not resolve the issue it is possible to have those ducts cleaned by a duct cleaning professional, I have been told. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 10/24/2017 at 8:53 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Dusted air can develop that problem over time whether in use or not. It may be just some accumulation of dust and dirt,  could be bug nests and webs, or it may be some type of mould. We had that in our Cruise Master after several years of constant use and resolved it by using aerosol deodorant (Lysol) sprayed generously into the air intake with the air conditioners operating. If that type of effort does not resolve the issue it is possible to have those ducts cleaned by a duct cleaning professional, I have been told. 

That is the ultimate advice! Since I have asthma, I bought Filtrete sheet filter material and taped it to the outside of the ceiling unit intake. We were amazed at how quickly it got dirty, and had to change it once a week when the unit was running constantly.

Now in the MH I use Filtrete replaceable household filters for our basement unit. They last about a month.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived