Staying in a parking lot

kb0zke

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, somewhereinusa said:

I'm not a paving person but, I would assume that the spec for a RV pad in a RV park would be different, anticipating that it would be used to park an RV on. As opposed to the spec for a parking lot intended to be driven on with no overnight heavy loads by things that don't have air in them.

When using someones parking lot for a overnight is it that important to get perfectly level?  Are there that many parking lots that aren't at least somewhat level.  I drove a semi in 49 states, never found a parking lot I couldn't sleep on. Just sleep with your head at the highest end. 

Good point.  If you need to park in a lot (non CG facility) just to sleep then why worry about the level.  We can keep our slides in and still shower, sleep, and get to the frig and pantry.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2018 at 8:39 AM, jpcoll01 said:

Has anyone ever cut up an old HDT tire and bolted/otherwise attached permanently to the bottom of their jack pads?  I'm thinking of grabbing a used tire, reciprocating saw, a drill and a couple bolts.  If the tire doesn't sink in on a 4"x4"ish surface patch that is touching the ground at any given time then seems this solution would work well.  Thoughts?  Easier way to do it?  I'm lazy I guess and am tired of getting out and putting down wood blocks.

Funny you should ask. My Brother owns a tire shop and a tire cutter. Last week while visiting I picked up several pieces of scrap tire and put them under my jacks on Saturday. Will take photos to post in the next week or two. I will be sitting for 3 months and hope I will remember to take photos of the ground after.  If the idea takes off, I have a source and profess I may be the first actual user. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5 hours ago, lappir said:

Funny you should ask. My Brother owns a tire shop and a tire cutter. Last week while visiting I picked up several pieces of scrap tire and put them under my jacks on Saturday. Will take photos to post in the next week or two. I will be sitting for 3 months and hope I will remember to take photos of the ground after.  If the idea takes off, I have a source and profess I may be the first actual user. 

Rod

Nice!  Look forward to hearing back how it worked.  I was thinking take 3ish sections of tire, drilling a hole through them and countersinking the bottom one to hold lag bolts near the corners so I could run a bolt up through my bigfoot level pads, then when they were down any pressure could just push the bolt further up through the jack pad and not push it into the ground.  As I said, I guess I'm the laziest guy on earth (and we move a lot) and I hate getting out and putting down blocks.

1 hour ago, jpcoll01 said:

Nice!  Look forward to hearing back how it worked.  I was thinking take 3ish sections of tire, drilling a hole through them and countersinking the bottom one to hold lag bolts near the corners so I could run a bolt up through my bigfoot level pads, then when they were down any pressure could just push the bolt further up through the jack pad and not push it into the ground.  As I said, I guess I'm the laziest guy on earth (and we move a lot) and I hate getting out and putting down blocks.

This is what RV Snap Pads do, but in a less expensive implementation.  I have the RV Snap Pads on my Level Up system and like them.  They provide some additional load bearing surface on the ground, are softer than the metal pads, provide a little bit of additional height (albeit small) and stay attached all the time so I don't have to put anything under the jacks if I don't want to.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 months later...

There is an RV park near Clarksville, IN, Louisville North CG, that REQUIRES you to use wood boards underneath your jacks. When you  sign-in the form states you agree to pay all damages resulting to their blacktop from not using wood boards under your jacks. They will supply the boards if you forgot yours.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived