kb0zke

Staying in a parking lot

Quoting from another thread, "5. Do not use your leveling jacks on asphalt." How do those of you with jacks level if you don't use your jacks? Our coach uses the air bags for leveling, so we have no jacks. Do you carry a bunch of 2x10 pieces and drive up on whatever is needed to get level? Do you just live with being not level?

Just curious.

We are currently on asphalt and our jacks are down , as are the jacks on every other camper/ RV  in this COE campground .

When in a 'parking lot' , we try to find a fairly level spot . Only a couple of times did we need a jack or two to get to that point and niether left any sign we were there .

We always use the Big Foot auto levelers.  I  place a block of 4x6 wood I made under each Big Foot pad to eliminate sinking into asphalt (or whatever we are on) and also the rams don't have to be extended as far.      Greg 

4 hours ago, Big Greg said:

We always use the Big Foot auto levelers.  I  place a block of 4x6 wood I made under each Big Foot pad to eliminate sinking into asphalt (or whatever we are on) and also the rams don't have to be extended as far.      Greg 

Me too on both counts. 

With the standard 10"x10" Bigfoot jack pads, we're not as likely to damage parking lot asphalt as the the smaller round pads on some jacks, but it's still prudent to put a load spreader board under them, especially in hot weather.

They say not to use the leveling jacks on asphalt because it can damage the surface.  I've seen the small round feet punch right through hot asphalt.  Not something the property owner will appreciate on their expensive parking lot.  We've been to a number of venues (fairgrounds/racetracks) over the years that require wood blocks under everything on the asphalt for that reason.  As mentioned above, proper precautions with a portable or permanently attached wood block or pad will lessen that chance.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

I installed Snap Pads on our 5er so I don’t have to worry about asphalt or other surfaces.

https://rvsnappad.com/

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Thanks for the information! I am really tired of getting down on my old knees to place my plywood under the jacks. I will be buying a set as soon as they make some for my HWH jacks, the website says under development now. " Not compatible with HWH, Equalizer, Atwood, Bigfoot, or RVA jacks." 

On 10/22/2017 at 2:04 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Chief,

Happy trails and best wishes too you and  your wife!

That yellow Carhart is still keeping me dry.

If you get near  the " Q" this year, post up my man!