Plastic frame home windows in a custom trailer, pros and cos?

Leftishut

Looking into window options for the build, went to Home Depot and looked at small home windows with vinel frames. We don't want big ones, one would be the smallest available and the rest would be the next size i.e. No large windows, as I could she problems with those. But since we are building from scratch we can put those in. Instead of aluminum rv windows.

Has any over done that or seen it done? Is it a bad idea due to window construction and road effects? 

The body torque as well as extreme temperature changes will cause the plastic frames to crack and pull away from the trailer's siding. I think that you'd be best sticking to aluminum framing. Other opinions may differ, this is just mine, as always,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

We had an aluminum sided houseboat and we used the windows from Home Depot.  We ordered these with tempered glass.  These windows were great but required some special nonstandard trim to finish the inside.  The narrow walls were somewhat of a challenge.  On the outside these windows required different trim than standard RV type windows.  We just used stainless screws through the flange and mounted the windows on the outside of the siding and sealed it.  The Home Depot, house type windows were significantly cheaper than RV type windows and probably better than aluminum RV windows but these have some challenges.  Compared to most RV type windows the house style windows were easier to operate and if the dual pane glass fails much cheaper to replace.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Usually the screens on residential windows are on the outside of the glass.  The screens will not take the wind while driving down the road.  I suppose you could just leave the screens off the windows and not open the windows.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If you are building the walls, then you should be able to put what ever window in you like. It will just be a little more work. I would steer away from the big box stores and find a window company that could build the windows you want. Yes it would be a higher cost, but in the  long run for the number or windows you would want it may be worth it. (Assuming you are building this trailer to last the rest of your life.) I am sure the "Tiny Houses" use conventional windows and while they may not travel as far or as frequently as an RV, I doubt they are concerned about their windows.

There are good and bad points with the windows I have had in my two trailers. First was a single pane typical RV window. In the cold weather I could put plastic shrink wrap on the inside and feel an instant change in the inside temperature.  My current trailer has dual pane windows and really didn't benefit from the shrink plastic. I have some other ideas for the next time I stay in a below freezing climate for an extended time.

Good luck with your build and please post photos as you go along.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

7 hours ago, Orvil Hazelton said:

We've had the duel-pane windows in our Phaeton for seven and a half years now without any proplems. 

I hope that you are right, but those in our 1998 motorhome didn't begin to fail until about 7 or 8 years on the road.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you all.

We are building spray insulated walls in either 3-4". Hoping to build windows slightly inset and on the outside have a hinged sheet metal cover that can be opened when we want windows visible. And to help heat loss in really cold areas. Also inset on inside so an insulated panel can be set in place when needed.

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Don't forget that you need an emergency egress window in the bedroom that meets standards for size and ease of opening.

Does any one know if you need specific rv escape when windows, or just have clearly marked and easily openable (from inside) escape hatches on multiple side in case of  Trailer ends up laying on one side? I wanted a bottom hatch and rear or possibly sides.

5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I hope that you are right, but those in our 1998 motorhome didn't begin to fail until about 7 or 8 years on the road.  

If home windows (tempered) last past the 6 year mark we would be happy. They seem better insulated and cheaper. Plastic frame should have less thermal transfer, and air gap between panes seems like it would be increased.

Sorry not sure why the double post.

I have one egress window in the bedroom/living area. The entry door is on the same side. If my trailer gets blown over on that side I have one window that I could exit through in the garage, but the rest is solid wall with one very small window.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

KIRK:  Bob Tiffin began manufacturing his own duel pane windows in response to this "fogging" problem.  He is now manufacturing all his own glass with the exception of emergency exits and windshields.  He has his windshields manufactured to his specific standards.  He still uses Hehr emergency egress windows.  We are on our second Tiffin product and have lived full-time in our 2010 Phaeton since May of 2010 and have had no window related problems.

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

Just now, Orvil Hazelton said:

KIRK:  Bob Tiffin began manufacturing his own duel pane windows in response to this "fogging" problem.  He is now manufacturing all his own glass with the exception of emergency exits and windshields.  He has his windshields manufactured to his specific standards.  He still uses Hehr emergency egress windows.  We are on our second Tiffin product and have lived full-time in our 2010 Phaeton since May of 2010 and have had no window related problems.

14 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

There is a good reason RV windows have radius corners. The square corners in a house-type window would be a start point for cracks. Research the RV surplus/salvage places for RV windows, much cheaper.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Archived