Adding another dish to DirecTV Traveler System

I have the DirecTV HD Traveler system on my coach but would like to have service while parked inside my storage unit.  Is it possible to mount another dish with the appropriate LNB unit to the outside of the building and connect it to the SWM-8 unit mounted on the roof of the coach. 

I take my receiver from home when I travel and it works just fine with the unit on the coach even though the dish at home is the smaller all in one unit LNB as opposed to the 3 seperate LNB's unit of the traveler.  It automatically sets it self up for either input after the first time I used it in the coach, plug and view at either location one.

I assume the Direct TV is like our Dish Network, in that there is a coax cable coming from the satellite dish and LNB which connects to a coax connector on the back of the DVR (receiver). 

We did just what you asked about.  We bought a dish and LNB mounted it outside and just ran the coax to the back of the DVR.  You have to manually aim the dish though. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hi AI F

Not exactly the same.  DirecTV requires a SWM box between the dish/LNB unit.  It allows the one cable to feed more than one receiver box. The SWM-8 has a bunch of ports on it and is A/C powered.  Trick is to know if a line from a second or different LNB can be also fed into the SWM-8 when the Trav'ler isn't up and powered. 

14 hours ago, fmracerbob said:

Hi AI F

Not exactly the same.  DirecTV requires a SWM box between the dish/LNB unit.  It allows the one cable to feed more than one receiver box. The SWM-8 has a bunch of ports on it and is A/C powered.  Trick is to know if a line from a second or different LNB can be also fed into the SWM-8 when the Trav'ler isn't up and powered. 

Glad I have Dish and not DirecTV.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

DirecTV should install a dish on the outside of the building FREE.
Give them a call. Say that you moved.

You may have to run a cable from dish to your RV yourself if installer of dish won't.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Well it's not quite as simple as that.   Since my RV is stored at my shop in an industrial complex at the race track it is not considered "residential".   They don't install free dishes at multiple locations so one can drag their receiver around from location to location.   They will do it if I want to add a second system to my account, which includes another receiver and cost.   Otherwise I have to claim I'm moving into my shop so it would be a "change of location" complete with "billing location."

It seems the easiest solution would be to make my own "spliter" setup and add it to the line coming from the existing dish, but I don't have ready access to the roof.  Instead I can get a portable setup for under $200 and install it on my compressor shed outside the back door of the shop.  It has a clear view of the satellite and doesn't require any interaction with DirecTV. 

25 minutes ago, usnlt said:

Next time you see a Directv installer working, stop and ask if he'd install a dish for you in his off duty time, maybe on aa Sat or Sun.  I think many of them would say YES.

DTV installers, even those who are DTV employees, have a fair amount of independence.  Several years ago I was lucky enough to find one who was willing to do the upgrade of my Trav'ler SK3005 to SWM while he was doing an install of a Genie HR44 in my MH.  Since conventional wisdom is that DTV installers aren't supposed to do either of these, I knew I was rather fortunate.  Needless to say I gave him a significant thank you ($$) on completion of the the work!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 3 weeks later...

We are part-timers now. I have an older Direct TV DVR setup in our MH that was installed in 2011 (pre-Genie) connected to the Winegard Traveler. We just had the Genie system installed in the house  on a separate account (free new equipment, some free programming, etc.). I am trying to "downsize"/eliminate the MH account but still want to use Direct when traveling.  From what I read on this thread, it is possible but depends on the existing electronics on my 6-year-old Winegard and Direct gear. 

My Genie home installer said wait a month or so and then reduce my older MH account as low as possible to retain the MH capability. That means I am still paying a fair amount of money and not using the MH service. But if I can take my home Genie in the MH I can simply cancel the MH account. Although I think I have a connectivity issue with Genie based on comments here, sounds like I need to call my installer back and do a sanity check on this.

Hank

SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
At Home in Custer SD

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

43 minutes ago, hanknjoycew said:

I have an older Direct TV DVR setup in our MH that was installed in 2011 (pre-Genie) connected to the Winegard Traveler.

In 2011 it's probable that your installation was pre-SWM.  Our Trav'ler was installed that year and it was the SK3005 Multi-switch version.  The Trav'ler SWM didn't come on the market until ~2014 or 2015. 

Your Genie is a SWM-only receiver, but it's pretty easy to convert your existing Trav'ler to SWM; ours was converted several years ago.  This Winegard document provides all the information you need to make the change; the parts are available on Amazon and elsewhere: Using Winegard dishes with DirecTV SWM receivers

Once you switch your system to SWM you can use your Genie without any issues; we have a Genie HR44 in our MH.  Just remember that you will always need to bring the main part of the Genie; the mini-Genie's that you may be using for some of your remote TVs won't work without the primary receiver itself.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I purchased the SWM Upgrade parts so I can use my house Genie on the road in the MH instead of the older DVR/receiver suite I had installed back in 2011. I then plan to cancel the MH account and work off the house  account we just got. I plan to have a "professional" do  the upgrade because there are a few other wiring issues I want addressed (can you spell "rats nest" in my electronic compartment..). So, to beat a dead horse..Direct TV does not care if/when I move my Genie around from house to motorhome?

Thanks,

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

24 minutes ago, hanknjoycew said:

So, to beat a dead horse..Direct TV does not care if/when I move my Genie around from house to motorhome?

There's nothing special about the Genie compared to any other DirecTV receiver.  There's no question that people have been taking receivers from their home and using them in their RVs for year.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I installed at coax attachment to the outside of the coach and ran a piece of coax from the connector up into the cabinet where the SWM power brick is located. I then added an A/B switch capable of handling the SWM power supply to the SWM brick and both coax cables, then the coax to the receiver. When we need to use the separate dish mounted on a tripod, it's just a matter of connecting the coax on the outside and throwing the A/B switch. Works like a charm. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Archived