Velos

Check Printing Charges

We have had our current checking account for 15+ years.  Most of the transactions are electronic (auto deposit and auto payments).  I think we have written a total of 400 check in that time. The last time I ordered checks was 5 years ago and there was no charge?? 

I just reordered checks and was charged $29.00 for 200. Yikes I have been out of touch with the cost of checks.... I thought accounts with direct deposit received plain checks at no charge?  If you use a checking account and have direct deposit are you charged for your printed checks??

We us USAA for our checking and savings, as well as other things.  Free checks. Great service. 

If you have a military connection or one of you has a parent who was in the military you may be eligible.

Even so I would drop your current bank and switch to a credit union or online bank which offers free checking and no charge checking.  There are lots out there. 

Yes it is a pain to switch, but out of principle I would make the effort and tell them why. 

BTW, which bank?

I have had no Bank charges for checks at Bank of America.
I got new ones when my address changed 5-6 years ago and I have used 7 of those checks.
I will be good until I change address again or another 30 or so years. But probably never will need any more.

That is about right on the cost. You have to look for checking accounts that offer free printed checks. Some are offered if you have direct deposit or if you are a vet or maintain a certain balance in both your savings and checking combined. You do have to look for the better deals.

I've always ordered my checks through Sam's Club at a fraction of the prices charged by banks. At my current rate I think I'll run out of my supply in about 36 years.. My bank is too exceptional to leave because of check printing charges.

We pay for checks, but we're still using the checks we got 4 addresses ago. They still work. We write a half dozen checks or so per year. I like the 1% or more on my credit card and pay that off directly.