Hot water, please

RVEd

Hi, 

My RV is hooked up to the city water. I've tried getting the electricity and propane to heat the water, but no luck. I'm thinking this is because the water is coming straight out of the ground and into the shower. Is there some way to get water into a holding tank where it is heated?  

It's used, but a 2017. Just got it. A maintenance guy here said to run the hot water faucets for a while to be sure the water heater has water in it. I did that for a while. The tanks filled up so I emptied them. Set the electric to warm the water. It's been a while and it isn't warm yet. I still think it's operator error and not a problem with the RV. 

It isn't winterized. I don't know what or where a bypass is. 

You don't say what rig you have or what make water heater you have, but, assuming your water heater is both a gas and an electric model, on some, at least on the Suburban water heater we have, you may have up to three locations on the electric side that must be on to get hot water from electric.  First, in you electric panel, you must have the breaker for the water heater turned on.  Second, if there is a switch on your control panel inside the rig that is for the electric of the water heater, it also must be on.  And third, outside behind the outside cover of the water heater, at the lower left corner of the unit, there is a smaller black rocker switch that must also be on, and there may be a small cotter pin in the rocker part that must be removed to allow the switch to be switched on.  All these prior steps must be done after you have the water heater full of water so you don't burn up the electric element.  If you did not have water in the water heater tank and accidentally switched on the electric, it is possible that the element is now bad and will need to be replaced.

Just reaffirming what the others have said:

Check bypass valve on heater...it was something I missed when I first got my 5W and couldn't understand why my burner wouldn't stay lit. It would be located near to the water heater. Mine is inside the RV itself close to the WH cold water intake.

Check the breaker. There is a breaker in the panel and usually an on/off switch behind the metal panel of the heater itself.

I only have two spots to make sure the electric water heater is on, not 3, so you may not have the 3rd. My interior switch is for propane heat which I only use when boondocking.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Archived