Replace air conditioner with heat pump

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to replace the roof air conditioner with a heat pump. My trailer has only one air conditioner. If there is a thread out there talking about replacing air conditioners with heat pumps please point me in that direction. I'm I missing anything ? What should I be aware of ? It would be nice to have a piece of equipment that runs quieter.

Thank you for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

100.00 dollars difference. Yes, just replace with ac/heat pump unit. You will need a different thermostat also. I would not own one without a heat pump. It about all we use in the southern states. I did replace ours with a mini split unit though. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

33 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Our only experience is with a heat pump in a house. Never again. It never heated or cooled effectively. Other friends who had heat pumps in their homes were of the same opinion..............

Then evidently it was either not installed properly or the refrigerant level was not correct.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Love the heat pumps.  They do a great job down to about 40 degF outdoors temperature.  Below 40, they stop working.  If you are in really low humidity area, they may run down to 37 or 38 degF.

If you have a wall mounted thermostat, you will possibly need a new one.  Check to see if it can be reset for heat pumps.  YOu may not have enough wires between the unit and the thermostat.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

100.00 dollars difference. Yes, just replace with ac/heat pump unit. You will need a different thermostat also. I would not own one without a heat pump. It about all we use in the southern states. I did replace ours with a mini split unit though. 

Hi Glenn,

What brand of mini split do you have ? When you did the retro fit did you have to change the size of the opening ? I was thinking about going with a mini split myself. One more question. Is both parts of the mini split on the roof ?

Thank you for any help,
Al

None of a mini split is on roof. I built a frame on rear of our Teton and mounted unit there. There is a post on the Technical section where this is discussed and my installation. Search on my post or mini split and it will come up. We really enjoy ours. Super quiet and cools/heats great. Also sips electricity

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If you have a Coleman Mach you can install a heating element called a chill chaser. I just ordered a replacement for $35 including shipping. It will cook us out of the bedroom. It is 1600 watts

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

MNtom,

That was the problem...........installing heat pumps for the 2nd floor was fairly normal until the temps went low or high, then they didn't work. AC had its limits but heat had and additional electric strip, electric bill went through the roof.

Our RV: has an AC with a heat pump, works fine but I was under the impression he was only going with a heat pump no AC unit.

The RV heat pumps mount exactly the same way as the A/C. As noted you'll need a different thermostat to be compatible. In our experience the heat pump works well down to about 40 degrees outside temperature in humid areas. If the humidity is low they'll work down into the mid-30's and in extremely low humidity areas (single digits) we've had decent heat down to 32 degrees. 

You'll still need your furnace for truly cold regions but the heat pump is a great addition for us. However, it is no quieter than the "normal" RV A/C unit. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

You MAY also need a new control box. (Coleman-Mach) The control box is the circuit board that facilitates the communication between the unit and the thermostat. A different control box may be needed if you want to add the optional heating element that was discussed in an earlier post.

Here is an online sales place for Coleman Mach units.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Hi Everyone,

I did some reading and watching videos about the mini split systems. It looks like a mini split will not work for me. I want to keep everything on the roof. So I will stay with original idea about using a heat pump. I hope a heat pump is more quite than the air conditioner that came with the trailer. Anyone have any model numbers and brands of heat pumps that I should look at ?

Open to all ideas,
Al

Unfortunately all the roof top RV units are noisy. Just the way things are. Don't shoot the messenger. One of reasons we went with mini split. I want a clean roof for solar at a later date. The mini split is very price comparible also. Mine $900. As far as noise, with our 1 Dometic unit operating, we have TV volume at 3/4. With just mini split, TV volume 1/4.  Jack on here, actually ordered a New Horizons with just ac units due to the noise of the heat pump units. 

5 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Did you get my PM"

Hi Tom,

I just answered your p/m. Please check your mail.

Al

An ac unit with a heat pump is about the same noise level as the cold function. At least in my experience. 

Personally, my heated floors and fireplace keep the unit warm into the mid-low 20's Depends on the wind. After that I can supplement with electric space heaters (ceramic units only) or turn on the furnace to low - which you barely can hear. The Cheap Heat would be a good alternative to space heaters.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived