Solar installer wanted - Arizona

ksmedley

I'm looking for someone who will install customer provided solar panels and provide other components for the 3 or 4 panels I have. My coach is a 2006 Monaco Diplomat with the standard 4 - 6V battery configuration and 2500 W Modified wave inverter/charger. The panels are 220W at 34V. I will need mounting hardware, controller and appropriate instrumentation and likely new batteries. Any advice welcomed.

Ken Smedley ;)

West of the Mississippi I can really only recommend 2 "commercial" installation outfits. One happens to be in Yuma, AZ. Starlight solar. My first choice would be AM Solar in Oregon if you're up for a drive and you can get a bay reserved to fit your travel plans.

It's a great idea to do your research as if you were going to do your own install first. Know the components, their function and interaction within your electrical system and what options are available to you. Do an energy audit to know what your energy production needs are and what size and type of  battery bank you will require.

A great place to start would be "The 12volt Side of Life" parts 1 & 2, then move on to Jack Mayers electrical/solar write-ups.

The better "equipped" you are when sitting down to lay out a system with an installer the happier you will be with your end result.

And don't forget to read https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/. He does have lots of good info.

I wouldn't have anyone in Quartzsite do an install for you unless you know exactly what you want and they are willing to do it your way. Yarome gave you good advice to do lots of research. And tell the jokers  to turn up the charge controller to 14.8 so that you can get your batteries fully charged.

Lenny & Ros

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC LB DRW

2112 Montana 3400RL, 680 Watts Solar

We have always used RV Solar in Scotsdale(we are on our 5th rig with solar) he is an Escapees Commercial Member and easy to talk to. We ordered our "set" and he delivered it to DR Family RV in Glendale. He installs a lot of solar. He installed everything plus all our other odds and ends repairs. Did a good job. He has sites you can hook up to so you don't need to leave your RV for the day. We have used him since with excellent results.

If you need an oil change the guy comes from across the street and does the oil change. One stop shopping

25 minutes ago, Al F said:

Will the places for installation mentioned in this topic install solar panels you buy and take to them?  They may only want to install solar panels they provide.

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but, if you're having a full system installed with their products AM Solar will do 'bring your own panels' (as an exception). One thing to consider though is that they wouldn't do any type of warranty on them or any work on the panel side of the c-box.

Last I heard from them a couple of weeks ago their bays are full until mid January.

Thanks to all who offered advice and pointed out educational aids. I'll be sorting things out over the next couple of months before we head to AZ and Quartzite gathering. We'll be hanging with the Boomers so if you are in the area drop by.

Best,

Ken Smedley

Ken Smedley ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:05 PM, Yarome said:

West of the Mississippi I can really only recommend 2 "commercial" installation outfits. One happens to be in Yuma, AZ. Starlight solar. My first choice would be AM Solar in Oregon if you're up for a drive and you can get a bay reserved to fit your travel plans.

These would be my recommendations, too.

AM Solar has installed all of the solar on all of the RVs we've owned all the way back to 1999 before Greg ever had a shop like he has now.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 11/3/2017 at 5:57 PM, Jim Seward said:

You may want to check on AJL Solar located in Lake Havasu City, AZ  at https://www.superpages.com/bp/lake-havasu-city-az/ajl-solar-electric-L2165414131.htm

Good luck with your search and safe travels...:)

Do you have a link to AJL Solar?  The link you gave is just a place wanting to sell you a website for your business.   

Doing a search for AJL Solar doesn't come up with a website.  Just places to sell websites.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 11/5/2017 at 4:54 AM, Al F said:

Do you have a link to AJL Solar?  The link you gave is just a place wanting to sell you a website for your business.   

Doing a search for AJL Solar doesn't come up with a website.  Just places to sell websites.

I rechecked that site and see what you mean,  guess I wasn't paying attention when I first checked it..  Sorry about that.  They installed our solar system back in 2005 and didn't know they went out of business.

Best Regards

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

9 hours ago, Jim Seward said:

I rechecked that site and see what you mean,  guess I wasn't paying attention when I first checked it..  Sorry about that.  They installed our solar system back in 2005 and didn't know they went out of business.

Best Regards

Could be still in business, just not having a website. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 11/5/2017 at 4:54 AM, Al F said:

Do you have a link to AJL Solar? 

I don't know if Alan is still doing much in the solar world. What was once AJL Solar was changed to "AJL Electric-Arizona" (mostly as a contracted electrician) and then dba "AJL Electric-Arizona-California". That was awhile ago though. Looks like he kept the same phone # through all of the iterations and is readly available with an internet search if someone was dead set on trying to get in touch, but I stand by my original recommendations.

Doesn't appear to have a website presence and it looks like the last known business address is a P.O. box. Doesn't sound too promising, but ya never know.

Solar is really one of those things you need to educate your self on what makes up the proper and good components for the installation.  Things like adequate wire size, panels wired in series or parallel, a good solar controller for what your needs are, batteries and probably most importantly what your power requirements are, i.e. how many AH (Amp Hours) you will use in a day. 

That means going to the several websites given in this topic, reading them, making notes and studying the info so you are conversant in the terms.  Then before handing over $2000-$7000 dollars to someone you are able to ask the hard questions of the sales people and the installer.  Also arrange to observe the install.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 2 weeks later...

I would contact Brian Boone at https://gotsolarinstalled.blogspot.com/

All of his installs are clean and well thought out. 

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I don’t know your time frame, but my husband is in the process of becoming an installer for RV Solar Solutions  and we will be in AZ in March.  If interested , reach out to Greg for a quote.  He is trained in the latest (including lithium set-ups) by AM Solar in OR.  

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

2 hours ago, bigboomer said:

I would contact Brian Boone at https://gotsolarinstalled.blogspot.com/

All of his installs are clean and well thought out. 

I don't want to knock a guy I've never heard of before, but just looking at the photos and some of the information from the "England Install", of the 9 pictures shown... 5 were a little disturbing to see. Mainly just 3 fundamental issues, one that should have been resolved, and 2 captions that made me raise an eyebrow. :huh:

If that's a job he is "showcasing" as a professional installation, I would be highly concerned. I didn't really look any further so maybe it was just a "one-off", but wow! If you can see all "that" in just 9 snapshot photos, what else can't be seen? KWIM?

Archived