Canyon de Chelly

SWharton

It has been a few years, but when we did it; US-491, NM/AZ-264 and US-191 were decent roads. North of Chinle, BIA-13 is a decent paved road over the Mountains from Lukachukai to US-491. It has steep grades, tight turns and great views. I think there is a length limit, but do not recall what it is.

I would suggest walking the campground before driving through. There are some tight turns with trees and large rocks. The campsites vary in size. I seem to recall some pull throughs near the entrance.

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

If I recall correctly, BIA-12 from Tsaile to Lukachukai was paved.

We haven't ever driven BIA-12, but my Arizona Benchmark Atlas shows it being paved the entire distance from Round Rock in the north to its intersection with AZ-264 in the south.  This section of the road is shown as a Secondary Through Highway.

The portion of BIA-12 south of AZ-264 to its intersection with I-40 is shown simply as a paved road.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 10/18/2017 at 6:21 AM, SWharton said:

Thanks for the  info. Just what I am looking for.

Anyone know how Hwy 12 is?

We drove IR-12 in the mid 1990's and it was a good paved road.  More scenic than US-191.  Slower driving with lots of curves.  Unless you just wanted the slower, more scenic route I would take 264 & US-191. US-191, as I remember, is fairly straight. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Report on our visit the Canyon de Chelly

We took Hwy 191 to Canyon de Chelly and easily found Cottonwood Campground. At his time of year it was beautiful, the Cottonwoods were bright yellow, made such a contrast.

We toured the North Rim the first day and did a lot of walking over rocks to get to the edge There are three overlooks onthe North Rim. The next day we signed up for a 9 AM tour. We had Jon from Beauty Way Tours. He was a delight and very knowledgable. We had a private tour, with the way their pricing is I qould think a couple would always have a private tour. Our tour lasted 3.5 hours. Let me warn you, this is a rough tour and you get bounced around quite a bit in the jeep. I would not do this tour if I had back issues.

The following day, prior to leaving, we toured the South Rim. Many more overlooks and next to the parking lots. We felt the South Rim had much better views. the Cottonwoods grow throughout the Canyon and are very impressive from 750'.

We had ATT wifi in the campground(we have our own mifi) but there was no cell service anyplace. We had no Verizon service of any type.

Our return route(we don;t believe in repeating a road if possible_ was on Hwy 12. Not as good of a road as Hwy 191 but a much prettier drive. Pullouts were infrequent.

I would highle recommend a visit to this Canyon.

• 2 months later...

Archived