Trailer Saver 5th Wheel Hitch

champ_49

Curious as can be on this. I am getting a new Ford F350 dually, 6.7 diesel with 373 gears, Lariat Package and basically loaded to the hilt. I want to get a new 5th wheel hitch and I am pulling a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL with total weight of 16,000 lbs. I have a 5th Airborne pin box but it is beating the heck out of us in my existing truck which is a 2000 Ford F350 Dually with the 7.3 in it.  So with this new truck thinking I may want to go to the trailer saver hitch by Hensley. Its a lot of money but is it truly worth it and is it going to give me that much better of a ride? I will also have to go back to a stock pin box as I don't believe my 5th airborne pin box can work with the air ride hitch.

Info on this would help me out a lot. Thanks in advance.

If you have a better idea on what to do about the ride and that is a better choice than what I have thought. please let me know.

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

I have read on here some folks using air pin box and air hitch with good results. When I had dually, rough roads always beat me up with either hitch. Had both. Drv air pinbox.  Teton solid pinbox, air hitch. My DRV was 17k ish. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We love our Trailer Saver.  The ride is smooth even on the roughest roads, but the true test the fact that nothing moves in the trailer when we travel.  I did read the complaint mentioned by Kirk and wonder if they read the instructions that came with the hitch that said to use their thin lube plate to assure the pin locks.  Ours always makes a distinctive loud "click" when we hookup.  I can't imagine ever towing with one again.  Dick

We have a Trailer Saver TS3 on our HDT. We bought it used and when we first tried using it, we had the problem Kirk linked to, but it was a combination of operator error and truck placement. The first time we tried to use it, we were starting with the handle in the wrong position. Once in a blue moon, the handle might not lock, but usually it's because we are off centered and hitting one side of the hitch before the other. A quick readjustment and it works fine.

I also saw the comfortride hitch this past week and really liked those setups. I would certainly look into those also. I think in either case, both will ride a whole lot better than what the OP has been using. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

We have been using the trailer saver BD3 hitch for two years now  our Montana has the same GVW  as your unit. We had the Reese 16K before that. We have had zero problems with it and IMO one has to try very hard or not watching to hitch improperly.

It greatly improves the ride but you have to take the time to adjust and use the  hitch properly.The instruction book is clear. We keep 50PSI in the airbags.

It is expensive but we are long timers and do many miles a year. It was $$$$ well spent.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I also use a TralierSaver TS3.  I had a little RBW L'il Rocker and the difference in like night and day. I purchased the hitch from a forum member here and had planned on putting it in an HDT, but plans changed and I put it in my LGT. I can watch the pin box float over bumps. My trailer is a rear kitchen and we have no problems with things breaking back there.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Never had an issue with my TrailerSaver TS3.  Hitch latches in in first try every time...been using it for about 4 years, full time.

Great hitch.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

No coupling issues with out TS3.  

Our laws here require the hitch to the be 20% over capacity.....16,000lb trailer + 20%  = 19,200lbs capacity = TS3 which is a little big for our needs.   After going over a large hump on the highway the trailer bounce 3 or 4 times. I want to experiment with different types of shocks to reduced the bounce.

I've installed an automatic height control valve and will add a bypass so the height over the pick-up rails can be increased from inside of the truck.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 10/16/2017 at 11:54 AM, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

We love our Trailer Saver.  The ride is smooth even on the roughest roads, but the true test the fact that nothing moves in the trailer when we travel.  I did read the complaint mentioned by Kirk and wonder if they read the instructions that came with the hitch that said to use their thin lube plate to assure the pin locks.  Ours always makes a distinctive loud "click" when we hookup.  I can't imagine ever towing with one again.  Dick

X2 Been using the Trailer Saver since just before Hensley bought the company, 10 years plus. Towing close to 19k for more than 10 years with no issues. Very rare failure to lock is invariably "hitched high" with the wide part of the pin inside the jaws instead of below them. Of course I have occasionally forgotten to "cock" the hitch by returning the lever to the 9 O'clock position.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, MrSeas said:

Another possibility ......

http://comfortridehitch.com/

I had a similar product a few yrs ago that was a prototype. I can tell you it was the worse hitch I ever dealt with. It looks almost exactly like the comfortridehitch. I had the air risers come out and it took me a full day to unhook the trailer. They ditched the idea after trying 2 different ones. Maybe this company has it worked out and I surely hope so because it was a disaster in my opinion. 

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

21 minutes ago, champ_49 said:

I had a similar product a few yrs ago that was a prototype. I can tell you it was the worse hitch I ever dealt with. It looks almost exactly like the comfortridehitch. I had the air risers come out and it took me a full day to unhook the trailer. They ditched the idea after trying 2 different ones. Maybe this company has it worked out and I surely hope so because it was a disaster in my opinion. 

There were several comfort ride hitches at the Rally and Rick was there from WI with his setup and answering lots of questions about the hitch. I chatted with several that owned them and they all loved them. A couple of them had gone from Trailer Saver to the Comfort Ride hitch and were very happy. Gregg also mentioned in one of his presentations, they were only putting on Comfort Ride hitches right now on their trucks they built. 

Sounds like the protype you tested definitely needed some work.

38 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Anyone know if the Comfort Ride is one or 2 pieces?  If 1 piece, they are pretty heavy for 1 person to handle.  Air hitches are also heavy.

This video says head is 47lbs and can easily be taken off, but not sure about the rest of it. I'm sure the rest of it is still quite heavy. - http://comfortridehitch.com/mo_un_crating.html

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, GlennWest said:

Camper rode very smooth, truck didn't.

Oh yes our truck rides  well like a heavy duty truck.  Solo it is very rough but we have a Honda   for a smooth ride

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

5 hours ago, hone eagle said:

similar?

prototype

A little unfair to comfort ride don't you think?

Exactly why I said similar and prototype. Which means it was not the ComfortRide hitch. I see they made the improvements as far as my experience and only experience with air ride systems. Other than the 5th Airborne pin box that I have. 

To say I was unfair to comfortride is wrong. I wish them the best and would even consider one. I am just trying to eliminate the problem that I have. So I would say instead of slamming me how about suggesting the answer to my question?

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

Lets try to clear up a few things

- Comfort ride was bought by Rick Olson from Jerry ?????.

- Jerry ????? was the original designer of the Trailer Saver hitch.  When he sold to Hensley he signed a non-compete for X-terms.  He waited awhile and started Comfort Ride.  He needed a builder for the hitch.  In stepped Rick who later bought the company from Jerry and made improvements in the design and quality of the hitch

- There have been several fly by night- air ride-swing arm- 5th wheel hitches, styled like the Trailer Saver that have come to market then disappeared after the first run of hitches are sold.  They- The Hitch manufacture -usually disappear when issues start to appear and people start to complain.  

- Back to Comfort Ride and Rick.  An announcement that was made at the HDT rally was that Comfort Ride / Rick Olson and Road Master- the tow bar-towing apparatus company have teamed up.  Road Master took all 3 models of the Comfort Ride hitch, had their engineers tear them apart and test all the components for strength, weakness issues, etc.  No issues were found that concerned Road Master.  Comfort Ride Hitches will eventually be sold thru all the Road Master vendors.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

10 hours ago, hone eagle said:

similar?

prototype

A little unfair to comfort ride don't you think?

I think not.  - 

He told his experience..... as it was.

(IMO)  If I was in "the hunt"  ( I'm not), I would be appreciative of his thoughts/comments - and file them away in the grey matter for future reference and research,

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Lets try to clear up a few things

- Comfort ride was bought by Rick Olson from Jerry ?????.

- Jerry ????? was the original designer of the Trailer Saver hitch.  When he sold to Hensley he signed a non-compete for X-terms.  He waited awhile and started Comfort Ride.  He needed a builder for the hitch.  In stepped Rick who later bought the company from Jerry and made improvements in the design and quality of the hitch

- There have been several fly by night- air ride-swing arm- 5th wheel hitches, styled like the Trailer Saver that have come to market then disappeared after the first run of hitches are sold.  They- The Hitch manufacture -usually disappear when issues start to appear and people start to complain.  

- Back to Comfort Ride and Rick.  An announcement that was made at the HDT rally was that Comfort Ride / Rick Olson and Road Master- the tow bar-towing apparatus company have teamed up.  Road Master took all 3 models of the Comfort Ride hitch, had their engineers tear them apart and test all the components for strength, weakness issues, etc.  No issues were found that concerned Road Master.  Comfort Ride Hitches will eventually be sold thru all the Road Master vendors.

thanks for the clarification

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

TS3 owner here. 3yrs  

Ram Dually 3500 with air bags on the rear axle. Raptor 43' 5th wheel, almost 19000 loaded for the winter siesta. Truck rides much smoother ( but it is a 1 ton dually, so it's a matter of perspective 🤔) biggest benefit was the mercy shown to our trailer, not much bounces loose anymore 👍.  Expensive and worth it. 

On 10/20/2017 at 10:02 AM, BlueLghtning said:

This video says head is 47lbs and can easily be taken off, but not sure about the rest of it. I'm sure the rest of it is still quite heavy. - http://comfortridehitch.com/mo_un_crating.html

I didn't watch the vid.  I looked at the specs on the website.  If the head is 47, the bottom of the 24K unit is about 100.  Not too bad for 1 person.  

Another good thing about this design is no air leaks.

Archived