Needed Help and Escapees Jumped in - Thank You!

mysticmd

Sounds to me like Hensley needs to do a recall, I almost always read all of the post even if the problem doesnt pertain to me or I cant help someone but now I have a little better ubderstanding of why a Hensley wont hitch. Maybe in the future they will furnish a hammer with each hitch they sell. :wub:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

One thing to note about these hitches is there is no provision for lubricating the main pivot pin.  One creative person drilled into the metal surrounding the pin and put in a grease fitting.  Hensley found out and promptly cancelled their warranty.

I spoke to Hensley about this and they have no plans to modify to allow for lubrication.

You need to shoot some lubricant of any type into the pin area.  If you don't the hole the pin goes thru will wear and become oval giving you some piston slap front to back.  My old one did and so did another at the WCR I went to last year.

This is mentioned on the online manual.

18 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

One thing to note about these hitches is there is no provision for lubricating the main pivot pin.  One creative person drilled into the metal surrounding the pin and put in a grease fitting.  Hensley found out and promptly cancelled their warranty.

I spoke to Hensley about this and they have no plans to modify to allow for lubrication.

You need to shoot some lubricant of any type into the pin area.  If you don't the hole the pin goes thru will wear and become oval giving you some piston slap front to back.  My old one did and so did another at the WCR I went to last year.

This is mentioned on the online manual.

Sounds like planned 'obsolescence' . 

Goes around , comes around .

Randy A needs to get hold of Tom and take a pic of the hitch locking pin area from the top, a birds eye view. Then post the pics along with measurements.The aluminum wedge he made will prevent the hitch from coming undone.

Imagine dropping a log splitting wedge in from the top, pointy side down.

I know a machinist with a CNC machine who could make them by the bushel if there was enough interest from those of us who have the TS3 or units with the same head.

I am leary about pounding heavily on something due to the possibility of collateral damage, a slip or a miss aimed hammer.

I did hit the lockout pin but there was not much room to get any kind of windup due to space constraints.

My TS did just the opposite 1 1/2 yrs ago.  I couldn't get the jaws to open.  Locked (rusted) shut with 19,000# trailer yanking on it.  Was told by TS to go ahead & bang on the jaws, which I did with multiple items.  Ended up getting help from a trailer mechanic with pry bars & bigger hammers.  I then disassembled the binkley head until I was unable to remove the pins that the jaws rotate on.  Took it into a fabrication shop where I suspect they did some heating & banging to free them from their frozen state.

Sorry about the long story.  Short story would be, lubrication problem.  I did replace all of the springs & hitch has been working fine ever since. My hitch would be at least 10 yrs old at the time.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived