Free TSream

Has anyone tried this Free Stream device? I would love to dump Direct and do something else. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

26 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

What device are you talking about?

https://4kfreetv.com/

This

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

FreeStream is yet another of several available devices running the free "Kodi" app that can be used to access both legal free publicly available streaming programming and illegal copyrighted streaming programming. And FreeStream is among the most expensive of the Kodi boxes as well, since even the $40 Amazon FireTVstick can run Kodi, or the PC/tablet/phone you may already have.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

FreeStream is yet another of several available devices running the free "Kodi" app that can be used to access both legal free publicly available streaming programming and illegal copyrighted streaming programming. And FreeStream is among the most expensive of the Kodi boxes as well, since even the $40 Amazon FireTVstick can run Kodi, or the PC/tablet/phone you may already have.

So not being very techy I downloaded Kodi on my phone to toy with it. It seems it takes so figuring out to really make it work so what a person is paying for with these "boxes" are the work they have done to make it user friendly. Am I correct in assuming that. If so I guess I'm in the category of person that just needs to pay the price if it's something I want to do. But maybe another "box" will do the same thing at a lower price.  

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

3 hours ago, jcussen said:

Best you have an unlimited data plan if you want to eliminate your directv.

We do have unlimited but we all know how that is.  Even if we could just drop Direct down to bare bones and use something like freestream to watch the few show we care anything about would be a plus. Maybe not worth the hassle if I really put pen to paper and figure it out but the thought is intriguing .

I toyed with that Kodi thing for at least 3 hours this morning and got no where LOL!!!  

Dave & Diane

2018 Ram 5500

There are several sites online with instructions for using Kodi both legally and illegally. Kodi is simply a tool that others create plugins for that connect to various content. Buying one of the overpriced pre-programmed boxes can be an exercise in futility for much of the promised free programming, since the content providers are regularly shutting down the illegal streams or changing protocols to void the available plug-ins. One of the common indicators that a programming source is not quite on the up and up is when the plug-in creators recommend that you connect to it through an anonymous VPN service so you can't be easily traced.

Dutch

51 minutes ago, rynosback said:

I never got dish and plan on never getting it.  Between the OTA tv and my Firestick with Kodi and  Terainium (sp) I can watch about everything.  And my Mobley has been working GREAT!

" Due to copyright laws, it is important to use a VPN service when accessing services like Terrarium TV. A VPN will keep your Internet connection private and stop your ISP from monitoring your online activity."

How To Install Terrarium TV On Fire TV Or Fire TV Stick

Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

There are several sites online with instructions for using Kodi both legally and illegally. Kodi is simply a tool that others create plugins for that connect to various content. Buying one of the overpriced pre-programmed boxes can be an exercise in futility for much of the promised free programming, since the content providers are regularly shutting down the illegal streams or changing protocols to void the available plug-ins. One of the common indicators that a programming source is not quite on the up and up is when the plug-in creators recommend that you connect to it through an anonymous VPN service so you can't be easily traced.

Is there a VPN service that you like?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I don't currently have a need for an anonymous VPN, so I'm not up on what's out there now. TroyPoint.com seems to be a pretty comprehensive site on all things Kodi", including selecting a VPN: https://troypoint.com/best-vpn-for-kodi/

Dutch

• 1 month later...

I have a question for people who say their "mobley" is working fine. Isn't that just a data redistribution device, like a Jetpack and any other distribution device? Other than the fact that a data stream is passing through it, I can't follow how it has anything to do with what you use to stream TV. I always thought that Mobley is to AT&T what Jetpack is to Verizon.

I am just now delving deeply into what I will do for TV on the road. What I watch is not available on an OTA antennas. (A&E, Nat GEO, DIY, Food Network, Smithsonian, etc....) As much as I hate the idea, I think DTV is going to be the winner. 

Does anybody know if DTV will sell me service if I cobble together a system from used parts I buy and own rather than rent their stuff? There are receivers and dishes on eBay all the time. Logic tells me that DTV should only care that I have a legit card from them that receives signal that they can charge me for. I actually prefer a dish that I set out and aim myself to a dome I have to mount. I have had various instances of both Dish and DTV and with a compass and finding the azimuth and declination angle online I can find the satellite myself. Where I live now it is 215 degrees at 38.5 elevation. I can do that anywhere. 

DirecTV is a pain in the in the butt to call in and ask questions. They try to control the call and not answer what I am asking. As soon as they hear RV they send you of to Winegard, and I don't want to talk to Winegard. So someone here with actual physical experience is likely a better source than DTV.

Comments?

The Mobley is just a mobile cellular hotspot like many others on the market.  The main difference is it was intended to be used in vehicles plugged into the OBDII port to create a WiFi hotspot in the vehicle.  The reason it became so popular was not because of the device itself, but because of the inexpensive unlimited plan that was available with it.  This plan is no longer available, which has made the Mobley a less popular device.

As for Direct TV, it is definitely possible to buy your own equipment and own it.  You can then simply set up a satellite dish to receive TV programming provided by Direct TV as long as you purchase a programming package from Direct TV.

I personally prefer Dish Network, which allows you to do the same, but the provider you choose comes down to personal preference and pricing (for most people).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

As an add on, I like the equipment that tv4rv sells for setting up satellite dishes.

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

There are advantages to each of the Sat providers. They both have about the same programming unless you are after something very specialized.

The way I view it, assuming you want HD:

• Dish can provide HD on an automatic portable device - DTV cannot, because of the KA band.
  • DTV has an advantage on a rooftop Travler dish...since their three satellites are only three degrees apart. MUCH easier to find a hole in trees. 

There is no one fit, best for all. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So many wives tales.

VPN may hid an IP address with a significant increase in bandwidth usage to encapsulate the traffic.

No one has unlimited bandwidth no matter how they spin the subscriptions they use.  At a point, the "unlimited" bandwidth will be restrained enough not to support streaming sta.

You will not get enough bandwidth from park WiFi to support a replacement of satellite TV with an Internet based system.

It takes almost twice the bit to transmit streaming video over the Internet than it does from a satellite feed.

If TV could easily be free, everyone would have done it by now.  Get serious.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

As an add on, I like the equipment that tv4rv sells for setting up satellite dishes.

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44

I think that site will end up with some of my money. A dish receiver and the dish for a couple of hundred bucks lightens the burden greatly. I have not had a satellite service for years but I assume that I would just need to call in with the number on the box and they would send me a card that is tied to that receiver ID?

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

So many wives tales.

VPN may hid an IP address with a significant increase in bandwidth usage to encapsulate the traffic.

No one has unlimited bandwidth no matter how they spin the subscriptions they use.  At a point, the "unlimited" bandwidth will be restrained enough not to support streaming sta.

You will not get enough bandwidth from park WiFi to support a replacement of satellite TV with an Internet based system.

It takes almost twice the bit to transmit streaming video over the Internet than it does from a satellite feed.

If TV could easily be free, everyone would have done it by now.  Get serious.

Yes, a VPN uses more bandwidth. If you need to hide your IP and activities, I suppose it's worth the penalty.

We've hit a high of 117 GB in one month on our Connected Car plan so far, with no significant speed reductions that affected streaming. After 22 GB, we're subject to network management (prioritization) on congested towers, but so far we either haven't seen it happen or the effect was so minor as to be unnoticeable.

We have been in a few parks with WiFi that supported streaming, but it was at extra cost. Mostly, we don't even bother checking any more.

I agree with your last two statements...

Dutch

You can buy all you need for DTV except the programming on ebay. Bought a used receiver and dish with tripod and 3 lnb's to get DTVHD.  Only problem for me was aiming, sometime took a while to get the 3 sats lined up. Less than $175 for equipment and basic $50 a month programming.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

2 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

I think that site will end up with some of my money. A dish receiver and the dish for a couple of hundred bucks lightens the burden greatly. I have not had a satellite service for years but I assume that I would just need to call in with the number on the box and they would send me a card that is tied to that receiver ID?

Basically yes.  I don’t know for sure with Direct TV, but dish did away with cards a while ago.  They just use codes built into the box which you obtain from a menu when the box is powered on and connected to a TV.

event.png    

Archived