When to winterize

MilesAndSmiles

The weather service is predicting a brief dip to 32 degrees on Monday night/Tuesday morning where I store my class A motorhome. Is this an emergency where I need to run up and winterize before Monday? Or is a brief touchdown at 32 really not a problem? Otherwise the lows are in the 40s.

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

If the low is only 32° there is nothing at all to worry about. It takes several hours down near 20° for anything to freeze enough to be a danger. As to when it is time, I'd start to plan for it now but so long as you are finished before temperatures fall into the mid to low 20's and stay that way for several hours or when it is expected to have high temperatures that get very little above 32°. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For many years I have had success with this: When lows do not drop below 27, and rise to above 50, water lines in an RV will not freeze solid, slush is immaterial, it's the solid stuff that expands enough to burst a water line.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I agree with Ray....I push it during hunting season and kept a thermometer in the bays. 25 degrees. That usually means the temperature drops below freezing for extended period of time.

I get up and run the cold water during the night and below 25 I get slush that the water pump finally pushes through and opens the flow.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived