What type of RV do you Full time in?

What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?

• Air Stream
    • Travel Trailer
    • Tiny House
    • 5th Wheel
    • Class A Diesel Pusher
    • Class A (Gas)
    • Class B
    • Class C
    • Other (please leave a comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/14/2018 at 07:00 AM

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

In a fifth wheel, the unit is pretty secure to the truck frame and with the brakes applied will rarely break loose, however the camper interior will be rearranged in a hard crash. In a MH crash, the interior will also be rearranged and the occupants will experience it first hand with pots and pans flying around them. Any crash can be bad, but a MH has the potential to be much worse for the occupants.

I'd like to see facts to that effect .

Here's where preference comes into play . 

I'd much rather take the chance of a latched cupboard coming open than having a 5er take my head off . But , that's just me . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Why is it that discussion of what type of RV we each use always seem to eventually become arguments over my choice being the best? 

Insecure people have a need to validate their own choices?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

21 hours ago, jimnina said:

We have camped all of our 40+ years of marriage. Started with tents then pop-ups. We would go to RV shows just to look at every type available. In our option the floor plans and storage were always better in the 5ers. So we ended up with a Class 'A':)

:)  This feels so true to me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As you have noticed ... there are different opinions (some strongly held) on this topic.  I personally live in a 5th wheel.  I could get all deep in the weeds about why I chose this over others but that would only add fuel.  The main reason we chose this particular 5th wheel is the floor plan.  IMO, the floor plan is the most important feature to be considered.  Is there enough and properly placed seating, does it work for your lifestyle, is the TV where it is easily watched, is the shower big enough, etc.  

This is where I LIVE ... travel (and ease of doing so) is a very minor part of RV life.  We find ourselves involved in the "travel part" of RV living for 3-4 hours of a day and the "live in it" part for 3-4 days, sometimes longer.  So the livability of the floor plan trumps all the issues and discussions around moving.  But like everyone else, it's just my opinion.

The final point is the issue of depreciation.  All RV's are depreciating assets so the question isn't "is it depreciating?", the question is "how much is it depreciating?".  Stepping out on a limb here and speaking ONLY of new units.  5th wheels cost less so they depreciate less ... sometimes this difference is dramatic.  For example, a $100K 5th wheel depreciates down to $20,000 in 10 years ... so $80K in depreciation ($666.66 per month).  A $400K motorhome over that same 10 years depreciates down to $200K ... so $200K in depreciation ($1,666.66 per month).  While these numbers are theoretical, they aren't unreasonable and they do serve to illustrate the stark difference between those two choices.  This is precisely why most MH owners buy used, but most 5th wheel buyers buy new.  When the depreciation of a used MH is compared to depreciation of a new 5th wheel the differences are less dramatic ... but the 5th wheel usually still wins.  Depreciation is "invisible" but real ... your net worth is decreased by depreciation even if you don't "feel it" like most expenses.  

Of course this is all IMO.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

2 hours ago, 297550 said:

This is precisely why most MH owners buy used, but most 5th wheel buyers buy new.

If that is true, why do we not run out of used motorhomes to buy? Is there someone who is building used ones? 

2 hours ago, 297550 said:

The final point is the issue of depreciation. 

I have owned quite a few RVs over the past years and your theory is very different from my experience. The fact is that the best choice of RV is the one that the occupants like best and will be happy in. The actual costs to do so are very little different from one type to the next, if we assume that everyone negotiates a reasonably good price when he buys and also when he trades or sells. If you are buying an RV for fulltime living, it is very foolish to buy something that you don't want as trading it for what you really wanted will always cost more than to buy the one you wanted the first time. The longer a person keeps the RV, the lower his cost of depreciation will be, no matter what type, brand, or even new versus used. Frequent trading is very expensive. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No ... I’m saying that it depreciates $120,000 less over a 10 year period.  You can decide for yourself if that is comparable.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

If that is true, why do we not run out of used motorhomes to buy? Is there someone who is building used ones? 

I have owned quite a few RVs over the past years and your theory is very different from my experience. The fact is that the best choice of RV is the one that the occupants like best and will be happy in. The actual costs to do so are very little different from one type to the next, if we assume that everyone negotiates a reasonably good price when he buys and also when he trades or sells. If you are buying an RV for fulltime living, it is very foolish to buy something that you don't want as trading it for what you really wanted will always cost more than to buy the one you wanted the first time. The longer a person keeps the RV, the lower his cost of depreciation will be, no matter what type, brand, or even new versus used. Frequent trading is very expensive. 

Actually, many people must buy new Motor Homes to seed the market ... but those people either sink their life savings into a MH or have tremendous resources.  I am not willing to do #1 and #2 doesn’t apply to me.  So there are many used MH’s on the market ... look at the % of people responding to the survey ... 1/2 are in 5th wheels.  This is a combination of affordability and reasonable decision making.  I am fine with you buying a Motor Home if that is what you want and can afford it or are willing to start out with something that is 10 years old ... we didn’t want an old unit and couldn’t find a new MH floor plan we liked, so a fifth wheel it was.

i surrender.

26,760 CGVW

54 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

There's only about a 10% difference in the towable and motorized count, so I wouldn't give that a lot of weight.

That is if you add the all the DP’s, the A gassers, the B’s and the C’s all together ... even with than the total is less than 5th wheels, so there must be something that drives that.

26,760 CGVW

On 10/12/2017 at 9:22 PM, hdrider said:

We have fulltimed 5 years in a Class A, love the drive, love the view while driving, love the extra weight while parked and we happen to end up in wind, like not having to go outside when we pull over for a snack if we don't want to for what ever reason, we bought a table that converts the steering wheel into a table when parked just toss a cloth over it and put a lamp on it and  WHAT STEERING WHEEL!! In a lot of campgrounds we have a better view out our windshield than we would out the back, 

I don't know if one sets up any faster or gets ready to go any faster than another to be honest and they both need to have power, water & septic hooked up regardless. We have always said that as long as we pick up and move as often as we have we will stay in a motorhome, again mainly because I love driving it, I love the braking, I love the quiet, I love sitting high and having a view. But when the time comes that we start sitting for months at a time instead of a week we will probably switch just because I don't want the engine and components sitting. 

This may be the most balanced response yet.  Nice job!

26,760 CGVW

On 10/13/2017 at 9:02 AM, Pat & Pete said:

And , just to balance that^ ... Changing from a Class A to a 5th wheel isn't necessarily an upgrade either . I doubt I'd ever want a 5th wheel . 

5th wheels seem to require a longer setup time . In a lot of them , the amenities can't be used unless the slides are out . Our Monaco can be fully used , slides in or out . And then , we can't forget to mention 5th wheels usually have more steps ( getting older we want fewer steps  ) . There are other differences that could be brought up , but it comes down to simply  personal choice . 

I happen to favor chocolate ice cream and you might like some other concocted flavor . And , that's alright , too . ;)

Oh yeah!

26,760 CGVW

3 hours ago, 297550 said:

No ... I’m saying that it depreciates $120,000 less over a 10 year period.  You can decide for yourself if that is comparable.

But you have one that depreciates at 50% over 10 years and another at 80%.    And there is no way they are comparable, absolutely no way.   Have you gone through any $400-$600K motorhomes?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 hours ago, 297550 said:

That is if you add the all the DP’s, the A gassers, the B’s and the C’s all together ... even with than the total is less than 5th wheels, so there must be something that drives that.

Of course I added all the motorized catagories together, just as I added all the towables together. It's only a fun poll anyway, since the numbers are way too small to be of any statistical significance in the real world. And we don't know which side of the coin the "Others" fall on...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

19 hours ago, 297550 said:

I thought that you indicated that you aren't biased and really don't care what others choose to buy?  There is nothing scientific in this poll and it only reaches readers of these forums. You are entitled to your opinions but they aren't facts. Others folks who do not agree with you are equally entitled to their opinions. 

Towables have always outsold motorized RV's... Weekenders/vacationers are much less likely to want a motorhome sitting around unused for months at a time. That market alone makes up a large portion of the towable sales.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

50 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

FMCA was arguing that towables are greatly outselling powered RVs while debating whether or not to open up their membership.  I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it.  

If one looks at the manufacturer's data on deliveries to dealers, towables are produced (and presumably sold) at 5 or more times the numbers of motorized RVs. Travel trailers consistently account for more than 50% of the total.

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Travel trailers consistently account for more than 50% of the total.

And they always will because of budgetary issues. Popup trailers are a part of that new RV market. You can find new trailers for about $15,000 on up while I know of no motorized RV that can be purchased new for under $50,000 and I suspect that the starting price would be closer to $70k. The least expensive and smallest RVs are only built in towable models because the cost is less than that of a bare chassis of any kind. And the working family can go out and buy a low-cost trailer to pull with the family car, van or dad's work truck. But few of them buy a new truck in order to tow one of the big trailers like most on these forums own. For most families, it wouldn't make sense to spend what it costs to get one of the higher quality RVs to use only on weekends and vacations when school is not in session. 

While I know of no way to accurately do so, it would be very interesting to see a report that compared RVs of similar size and quality. 

Before deciding, you should consider the relative crash-worthiness of a Class A versus a diesel pickup.

The latter has an engine in front to absorb impact, multiple airbags, crumple zones, and certified rollover protection.

No one likes to think about the worst case, but it should be part of the calculus.

For my part, having been to hundreds of auto accidents over the years, I'd much rather be in the pickup.

Ooops.  Sorry for the duplicate post.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, Pat & Pete said:

And , don't forget to look at the comparative #s . How many killed/injured in a pickup and how many killed/injured in a class A . I'd rather be in a class A . I'd say the #s are my side . ;)

I also think you have to drill down into the per-capita numbers. Lot more pickups of all kinds get in more accidents, because there are so many. I think a couple of ideas probably apply well in the case of rvers avoiding accidents.

1. Know your limitations. If you're new to it. go out with an RV driving instructor for a few hours and discover what those are. I used to fly and the number one killer of private pilots is trying to fly beyond their capabilities. I never tempted fate because I always questioned myself, "What the heck if your life worth (I'll leave it to your imaginations what I said, rather than 'heck.'

2. In urban areas, avoid rush hour!!! Yeah, we're all kind of hard-wired to be going somewhere at 1700, but they all have somewhere to be. You, if you have planned carefully, will not. C'mon, you're either on vacation or fulltiming it, where to you have to be? If you find traffic seizing up, hop off and get a burrito. Hang for an hour or three at a Squally World, have a beer with your burrito and take a nap. When the roads clear, you can continue, knowing you have not been a PITA to commuters.

3. Have your route planned. Use your GPS. Or get one. If you're hitting the road for a lengthy drive, check the weather along your route. If thunderbumpers with red radar are in your area, get thee under a big-arse bridge and hope it picks another bridge to hit.

4. Drive 55-65. Stay in the right lane. In addition to the fuel savings, all the road ragers will pass you, probably flipping you off. Flip 'em back. If you have cruise control, use it.

5. When you're tired, stop.

6 minutes ago, OldMan said:

I also think you have to drill down into the per-capita numbers. Lot more pickups of all kinds get in more accidents, because there are so many.

I suspect there's also a wider range of ages of drivers of pickups than of motorhomes.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 12/29/2017 at 4:55 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Why is it that discussion of what type of RV we each use always seem to eventually become arguments over my choice being the best? 

I don't know, myself. I am also a musician and as a guitarist, I am frequently asked about my sound. I just wiggle my fingers at them, because it's the musician who makes the sounds. I have been argued with about gear, and my reaction is always the same: "Use what your ears tell you to. I don't know much about music gear (which is true).

Same with our abodes. Pick what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. They're not paying you so who cares?

Archived