SKP100526

What type of RV do you Full time in?

What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What TYPE of RV do you Full Time in?

• Air Stream
    • Travel Trailer
    • Tiny House
    • 5th Wheel
    • Class A Diesel Pusher
    • Class A (Gas)
    • Class B
    • Class C
    • Other (please leave a comment)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 04/14/2018 at 07:00 AM

Before deciding, you should consider the relative crash-worthiness of a Class A versus a diesel pickup.

The latter has an engine in front to absorb impact, multiple airbags, crumple zones, and certified rollover protection.

No one likes to think about the worst case, but it should be part of the calculus.

Before deciding, you should consider the relative crash-worthiness of a Class A versus a diesel pickup.

The latter has an engine in front to absorb impact, multiple airbags, crumple zones, and certified rollover protection.

No one likes to think about the worst case, but it should be part of the calculus.

For my part, having been to hundreds of auto accidents over the years, I'd much rather be in the pickup.

4 minutes ago, NCMEDIC said:

For my part, having been to hundreds of auto accidents over the years, I'd much rather be in the pickup.

I hadn't really thought about this before but I saw a Class A absolutely destroyed after a rollover the other day along side the interstate.  It made me a little sick thinking about the folks in the back. 

2 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

I hadn't really thought about this before but I saw a Class A absolutely destroyed after a rollover the other day along side the interstate.  It made me a little sick thinking about the folks in the back. 

And , don't forget to look at the comparative #s . How many killed/injured in a pickup and how many killed/injured in a class A . I'd rather be in a class A . I'd say the #s are my side . ;)

13 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Gee , don't have a blowout in anything . Bad . 

I agree.  A friend had a blowout in his car that caused it to start spinning across two lanes of opposing interstate traffic and somehow he did not hit another car.  We have a Sage-T-Plus http://www.safe-t-plus.com/ , in the hopes it will help us keep control in a front tire blowout.

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

I agree.  A friend had a blowout in his car that caused it to start spinning across two lanes of opposing interstate traffic and somehow he did not hit another car.  We have a Sage-T-Plus http://www.safe-t-plus.com/ , in the hopes it will help us keep control in a front tire blowout.

We also have a Safe-T-Plus installed . Along side of the safety factor , it made a huge improvement inn the overall handling of the coach . 

Other than new Toyo tires , it's the best money we've spent on the rig . 

The rule of thumb is if you move a lot get a motorhome - if you sit a lot get a 5th Wheel.

But we're sitting a lot more these days and still have our motorhome - 2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP - we bought it new, we love it and I don't have to drive around in a big pickup. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which we also love and a motorcycle rack on the back to haul a 2006 Harley Softail on. No storage facility, everything we own is with us and we've been doing this for 10 years now. Wife has gotten sick - so we're sitting near the Mayo Clinics these days, but we're still doing and still enjoying the life and each other. I think the big pickup vs the Jeep is a big part of not wanting to switch but as we continue to get older that may change. The one thing one can always count on is change :D

On 11/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, markandkim said:

Don't have a blowout in a class A. Bad.

But a blowout is somehow OK if you have it driving a big truck towing a fifth wheel? I don't think that you can find anything to show that the risk is any greater with a class A than for any other RV. The worst RV wreck that I have ever seen was a blown tire on the right front of a GM. Kodiak towing a very large fifth wheel on I80 in rain. 

With more than 35 years of RV travels using several different types of RV, a blown tire, especially on a steer axle is always a high-risk situation for most RV owners. Even professional drivers at times get into trouble in such situations and the majority of RVs are driven by people who have far less expertise in dealing with emergencies. 

It is a very foolish shopper who allows the personal prejudices of others to sway them away from whichever type of RV that they prefer. I could give you scare stories about what is bad about pretty much any type of RV and reasons what a different one is safer, but we can set up that argument for or against any choice. The answer isn't to avoid one type of RV but rather to learn how to safely handle any emergency for the particular type of RV that you select. 

As you have noticed ... there are different opinions (some strongly held) on this topic.  I personally live in a 5th wheel.  I could get all deep in the weeds about why I chose this over others but that would only add fuel.  The main reason we chose this particular 5th wheel is the floor plan.  IMO, the floor plan is the most important feature to be considered (assuming the "bones" are good).  Is there enough and properly placed seating, does it work for your lifestyle, is the TV where it is easily watched, is the shower big enough, etc.  

This is where we LIVE ... therefore travel (and ease of doing so) is a very minor part of our RV life.  We find ourselves involved in the travel part of RV living for about 4 hours of a day and live in it for 3-4 days before the next move.  So the livability of the floor plan trumps all the issues and discussions around moving.  Many people object to driving a dually truck as a daily driver, but from my perspective, I GET to drive a big truck around.  But like everyone else, it's just my opinion, so I recommend you buy what you like and what fits your needs ... there are no right or wrong rigs, just rigs that don't match the owners needs.

Edited by 297550

We have lived long term in both a 5er and a class A.  When we were going to go full time, we evaluated the pros and cons of both snd decided the 5er had many more pros than cons/

Ken