Fresh Water Sanitation

On my 2008 DynaQuest 360XL, the only way I can find to access the Fresh Water Tank is through the shore water hose which is on a hose reel.  To introduce a sanitizing solution into the fresh water tank, I use a small brass "siphon mixer" (invented to siphon and dilute fertilizer/herbicide concentrate through a water hose).  The dilution rate is 1 gallon of sanitizing solution to16 gallons of water.   It also sanitizes the shore water hose.

"

Dynamax DynaQuest 360Xl

I use one tsp of Sodium Dichlor powder per 100G. I attach my fresh water hose to the RV, pour a tsp of Sodium Dichlor into the end of the hose and attach it to the faucet. After the tank is filled, both tank and hose are sanitized; plus the water is disinfected, yet still drinkable-without aftertaste.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I use one tsp of Sodium Dichlor powder per 100G. I attach my fresh water hose to the RV, pour a tsp of Sodium Dichlor into the end of the hose and attach it to the faucet. After the tank is filled, both tank and hose are sanitized; plus the water is disinfected, yet still drinkable-without aftertaste.

So I would need 1/2 tsp for my 54 gallon tank. Any 'soak' time like there is with a weak bleach solution and how much does it take to flush the water system out?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Some of the replies seem to be purifying the water you will drink.  When I think of sanitizing a tank, I think of putting a high concentration of bleach or other agent, let it sit for several hours, then draining and flushing a couple of times before filling it with water I am going to drink.

I don't remember the concentrations of bleach to sanitize the tank, but it is far higher than you want to drink.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 10/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Mntom said:

So I would need 1/2 tsp for my 54 gallon tank. Any 'soak' time like there is with a weak bleach solution and how much does it take to flush the water system out?

That's what makes using Sodium Dichlor preferable to me.  You add the appropriate amount of Sodium Dichlor-you're done. The mixture is drinkable.

The user must read the MSDS, as the powder is a concentrated type of  Chloroisocyanurate classed as a hazardous material. Most retail products contain from 60 to 70%  Chloroisocyanurate . It may be purchased anywhere swimming pool products are sold. It has little/no taste, kinda like getting swimming pool water in your mouth;  my under-sink filter removes 99.9% of everything that is not water, so you can't detect any odor or taste in drinking water  or ice.

Sanitizing/Disinfecting, what should I do: https://www.cscinc.org/wp-content/resource_pdfs/Sanitizing and Disinfecting Tip Sheet.pdf 

Please note the contact time at the bottom of the left column of the page.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Mntom said:

If I recall, I used 1/2 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Allow it to sit for a couple of hours then drain and flush.

Bleach has a shelf life of 1 year....less if not stored at 70F or it is in a clear bottle.

Household bleach is 5% ....pool bleach is 12%

Shock treatment is the term used by the water & pool industries to disinfect a system.    

1/2 a cup of 5% household beach in 15gal will result in 100ppm....a concentration of 10ppm will also disinfect the system but the soak time needs to be 20 hours.   

2011 Cameo 34SB3

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

That's what makes using Sodium Dichlor preferable to me.  You add the appropriate amount of Sodium Dichlor-you're done. The mixture is drinkable.

The user must read the MSDS, as the powder is a concentrated type of  Chloroisocyanurate classed as a hazardous material. Most retail products contain from 60 to 70%  Chloroisocyanurate . It may be purchased anywhere swimming pool products are sold. It has little/no taste, kinda like getting swimming pool water in your mouth;  my under-sink filter removes 99.9% of everything that is not water, so you can't detect any odor or taste in drinking water  or ice.

Sanitizing/Disinfecting, what should I do: https://www.cscinc.org/wp-content/resource_pdfs/Sanitizing and Disinfecting Tip Sheet.pdf 

Please note the contact time at the bottom of the left column of the page.

I've no issue using Dichor but I don't understand the advantage it has over bleach?  Both can be used to make the chlorine in potable water 1 to 4pmm.  

2011 Cameo 34SB3

5 hours ago, J-T said:

1/2 a cup of 5% household beach in 15gal will result in 100ppm....a concentration of 10ppm will also disinfect the system but the soak time needs to be 20 hours.   

Good numbers to work with .

I will add some food for thought . For new pipe installation TCEQ ( Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) requires a 50 PPM solution for 24 hours contact time . This is measured at the end of the 24 hours so the starting point must be in the 100 - 150 ppm range.

Not that this is necessary for a fresh water tank that is not exposed to the open air and dirt of a construction site just  something to keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 1:29 AM, J-T said:

I've no issue using Dichor but I don't understand the advantage it has over bleach?  Both can be used to make the chlorine in potable water 1 to 4pmm.  

The advantages to me are; no aftertaste when disinfecting drinking water or sanitizing my plumbing system, dry powder may be easily transported in a small sealed bottle and easier to handle and store.

I do not recommend everyone use this as it can be dangerous around children or uneducated persons (thus the link to the MSDS), 60-70% chlorine can cause serious injuries improperly handled.

As to the 20 hr soak time you stated, I assume you meant 20 minutes.

40 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

The advantages to me are; no aftertaste when disinfecting drinking water or sanitizing my plumbing system, dry powder may be easily transported in a small sealed bottle and easier to handle and store.

I do not recommend everyone use this as it can be dangerous around children or uneducated persons (thus the link to the MSDS), 60-70% chlorine can cause serious injuries improperly handled.

As to the 20 hr soak time you stated, I assume you meant 20 minutes.

Thank you.

I used to work with 20% bleach.. More than a few would glug glug glug (more's better) into a bucket then walk into a confined space and come out gasping.....on guy after finishing his Hazmat training came in the next morning and ran it through the steam pressure washer.

At 10ppm a 20hour soak time....it takes longer allot longer than 100ppm but after the 20hours the 10ppm will drop so the water is potable.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Pat & Pete said:

He didn't ask a question .

You are right! I just assumed that was some form of a question. It is actually a statement, no reply necessary.

Archived