Cal.Hwy 58 to the I15

svtoujours

We have been traveling the 101 to the 210 twice a year on our way to and from Yuma  (and a short stop to see family in Orange County ) to avoid most of the LA traffic and we only do it on Sun. mornings (which info we got from here!) . Would really like to try Hwy 58 out of Bakersfield to the 15. And a question, it looks like taking the 395 from the 58 to the 15 is shorter than going all the way to Barstow. We took the southern 395 over 25 years ago, it was a mess. Appreciate your input,  cheers Bonnie and Tom

I think he is asking about 58 from Bakersfield to I-5....the other direction.

IF SO....there is a new stretch from Bakersfield west....I got confused and watched my GPS plow NEW ground!! I was heading east, so you might not have the signing problem coming from the east.

It is a fine road. It does go through several small towns that will remind you of Mexico and other than the traffic and stop lights...no problem.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I just drove that exact route a month ago from Sacramento south on I-99 to Backersfield onto Hwy 58 to Hwy 395 south to I-15 south. Took it years ago and it was only a two lane road and you always got stuck behind a slow moving semi. It's now a 4 lane highway. No problem in a 43 foot Class A towing a Jeep Wrangler. I definitely recommend this route. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Welcome to the Escapees Forums!

I used to drive through that part of the country on a regular basis before I retired this summer.   Here's my favorite route to bypass Los Angeles:

First, are you coming down 101 or I-5?  I assume you're taking I-5, if you're taking 101 you might as well stay on the 210 like you have in the past.  58 from Atascadero/SLO to Bakersfield is slow and narrow.  46 from Paso Robles to I-5 is a better choice.

Climb the Grapevine on I-5,  then just south of Gorman take CA 138 east to Hwy 14.  It's a flat, lightly traveled 2 lane highway and you'll make very good time.  Turn south on Hwy 14.

If you're ready for an overnight stop, the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds on Hwy 14 at Avenue H has a good RV park on the north side of the fairgrounds.  Circle around the Rite Aid distribution center and double back towards the freeway.  $20 for a 30 amp back-in spot, $25 for a 50 amp pull-through in a level parking lot. There are numerous restaurants starting one exit south including an excellent Chinese Buffet.

Continue south on 14 until 138 splits east in Palmdale.  If you go one exit further south to Avenue S you can take that east to 138 and bypass several stoplights in downtown Palmdale.

Once you're out of Palmdale, 138 is 4 lanes until the Hwy 18 split, except for two short stretches through a pair of one stoplight towns.

On the east end of 138, I like to take Phelan Rd.to Hwy 395, then go south to I-15 instead of continuing on 138.  It's a flat, mostly rural road and you'll miss a couple of large grades on 138..

Be alert at the I-15, I-215 split in San Bernardino.  They re-did the interchange so you now have to be in the LEFT hand lanes to continue on I-15 if you're going to visit with the kids.  Otherwise get into the RIGHT hand lanes to get on I-215 (used to be the other way around).

Hwy 58 is actually a longer run with a lot of trucks going between the Central Valley and I-15 towards Las Vegas, and the highway through the Tehachapi Mountains has lots of twists and long grades.  East of Hwy 14 it's mostly straight and flat, but there's a 5 mile stretch of 2 lane road at Hwy 395 that often backs up.

Don't take 395 south from there, it's two lanes and you'll be driving in city traffic from Adelanto to I-15.

13 hours ago, Vladimir said:

I think he is asking about 58 from Bakersfield to I-5....the other direction.

Since he's headed to Yuma, I think he's talking about taking CA-58 to I-15.  I'm not clear on where they plan on going once they reach I-15.  If it's Yuma, *I'd* continue east on I-40 at Barstow to US-95 in Needles and head south to Yuma (which requires some back roads from Blythe to Yuma).  Or, head a bit farther east on I-40 to Exit 9 in Arizona and head south on AZ-95 to Quartzsite and continue south on US-95 to Yuma.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I think the short stop in Orange County (via I-15 south?) is why they want to go into Los Angeles.

Going east to Needles, then south on Hwy 95 to Yuma is 100 miles further than going diagonally from Bakersfield over Cajon Pass, then east to Indio and south along the Salton Sea. 

The tradeoff is driving about 90 miles on Los Angeles freeways from Cajon Pass to Indio versus staying out of the Basin, although I-10 flows well in that area outside of commute hours.

5 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

I think the short stop in Orange County (via I-15 south?) is why they want to go into Los Angeles.

Going east to Needles, then south on Hwy 95 to Yuma is 100 miles further than going diagonally from Bakersfield over Cajon Pass, then east on I-10 to Coachella and south along the Salton Sea.  The difference is driving 

I'm sure you're right that the distance is longer.  I try to stay as far away from the Los Angeles area as possible, so I'll take the extra 100 miles.  However, if the OP is visiting someone in the LA area, then they don't have much choice.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks for your input, we will try the 58 to 395 to the 15. We stay in Jojoba if they are not full, else there are Passport America parks in the area, to visit family. Have never had much trouble going on to Yuma, both the 10 and the 8 are good. Thanks again, Bonnie and Tom

Archived