Inexpensive Snow Birding in Georgia

billdean

I would like to get out of Michigan for the winter months this year and have been looking at southern Georgia or northern Florida. I have never been a snow bird and would like to try it this year for about 3 months. I have been looking all over the internet trying to find some inexpensive places to stay with my RV and my 2 border collies. Being on SSI I would like this to be as inexpensive as possible if that can even be done. I see some state parks are given 50% off but they only allow a 14 day stay and still may be to much. Are there any inexpensive place to camp in the area I am looking, or would they have all been taken by now. I am not really wanting to boondock or at least for not very long.  I wouldn't want my living/camping expenses to exceed $1500.00 per month. Is this even doable or am I dreaming?

We volunteered at Okefenokee Swamp Park in Waycross, GA. Call Martin Bell, 912-283-0583. They provide a FHU site including WiFi and the work was easy. From Nov to early Jan, they have a nightly Christmas light display and we operated a kiddy train ride or wandered the park to pick up trash. For Jan, we helped to remove the light displays at our own work pace. It was a great experience and a low cost winter. They appreciate any volunteers they can get.

Greg

Another good way to do this and keep expenses very low that doesn't require hard work is to consider being a campground host for the Georgia State Parks departmentcampground host for the Georgia State Parks . I would act soon but it does look like they still have quite a few openings so check them out. Yet another possible place to volunteer would be at a Georgia National Park site but those usually ask for more hours than state sites but they can also be a very interesting and rewarding experience. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 10/10/2017 at 2:07 PM, SWharton said:

You could also look into work camping. Or possibly a different location where thee cost of monthly cgs is less.

I am all for work camping. I just don't know how to get involved doing it. I have taken Kirk's advise and put i for a couple spots in the Georgia State Parks.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, Kirk Wood said:

Another good way to do this and keep expenses very low that doesn't require hard work is to consider being a campground host for the Georgia State Parks departmentcampground host for the Georgia State Parks . I would act soon but it does look like they still have quite a few openings so check them out. Yet another possible place to volunteer would be at a Georgia National Park site but those usually ask for more hours than state sites but they can also be a very interesting and rewarding experience. 

Thanks Kirk....This has been helpful. I have applied for a couple parks. We'll see what happens

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, billdean said:

... Being on SSI I would like this to be as inexpensive as possible if that can even be done...

It has been a long time since I worked with the SSI program, but I would strongly suggest that unless you have no re-examination of your eligibility for SSI that you investigate how engaging in work (even though its called volunteering) and receiving housing as compensation in return might affect your eligibility. If you are also receiving assistance from state run programs like Snap and Medicaid, you need to look into how those might be affected by traveling out of state for prolonged periods.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

7 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

Are you looking for "camping" or are you looking to be in an RV Park with power and drains and all that comes with a full hookup park?

I would rather have full hook ups but I believe some State parks have full hook ups.  I would consider them as more camping which would be OK with me.

TCW...Thanks for the reminder/info. I am 66 which would be full retirement for me. I believe I can earn as much as I want.

1 hour ago, billdean said:

I would rather have full hook ups but I believe some State parks have full hook ups.  

Nearly all camp host sites do have full hookups, even when in a park that does not have for the visitors. I believe that you can find out what they offer as you apply. 

1 hour ago, billdean said:

...TCW...Thanks for the reminder/info. I am 66 which would be full retirement for me. I believe I can earn as much as I want...

Are you collecting SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or Social Security Retirement benefits? I believe the rules are still very different for the two programs both of which are administered by the Social Security Administration.

If you find a park you like make sure to inquire about monthly rates.  Many times a park will charge $40 per night, but have a monthly rate of $300.00 some include electric, other it would be metered and you pay your own.  Don't know about those states specifically, but last winter we paid $250 mo plus electric in TX and it included fantastic internet and cable tv.    Many do not post their monthly rates, you have to call and ask.  Some parks also have specials if you are a first timer at their facility.  

Pat DeJong

On 10/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, TCW said:

Are you collecting SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or Social Security Retirement benefits?

For those on SSI:

To be considered eligible for Social Security disability benefits, you cannot engage in what's known as substantial gainful activity (SGA). The Social Security Administration defines "substantial" as earning more than a certain amount each month. For 2017, you can work and collect your disability benefits as long as your earnings don't exceed $1,170 per month, or $1,950 if you're blind. However, there are also exceptions to this rule.

If you are drawing Social Security:

Until you reach full retirement age, Social Security will subtract money from your retirement check if you exceed a certain amount of earned income for the year. For the year 2017, this limit on earned income is $16,920 ($1,410 per month). The amount goes up each year. If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit. Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on the amount of money you may earn and still receive your full Social Security retirement benefit.

The earnings limit for people turning 66 in 2018 will increase to $45,360. (We deduct $1 from benefits for each $3 earned over $45,360 until the month the worker turns age 66.)

For 2018 their is a 2% increase in SSI & SSA payments. Not posted yet how much Medicare will take of the increase.

2017 Medicare took 100% of my .3% increase. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

2 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

If you work at a place in exchange for your spot rent, is that income? Do you get a W-2 for it in the amount of the rent it defrayed?

Some do report it as 'pay'  , but a lot don't . Not sure if a W-2 is involved , but ...

Goes around , comes around .

5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

For those on SSI:

To be considered eligible for Social Security disability benefits, you cannot engage in what's known as substantial gainful activity (SGA). The Social Security Administration defines "substantial" as earning more than a certain amount each month. For 2017, you can work and collect your disability benefits as long as your earnings don't exceed $1,170 per month, or $1,950 if you're blind. However, there are also exceptions to this rule.

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is NOT the same as Social Security Disability. Both income and financial resources are considered in determining SS'I eligibility. You can read more about the eligibility requirements here.

4 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

If you work at a place in exchange for your spot rent, is that income? Do you get a W-2 for it in the amount of the rent it defrayed?

With private, for-profit RV parks and businesses, it sometimes is and if audited by the IRS it usually is. If you do that same thing for a public park or agency such as the state/national parks, COE, USFWS, or some other agency, or for most non-profits and charities then it is clearly not taxable income but you are also typically asked for somewhat more hours in return for just an RV site. For example, at Everglades National Park, we both went through seasonal ranger training and we each worked 32 hours per week doing amphitheater talks and leading nature walks or working the visitor center. In return, we received a full hookup site, access to laundry equipment, free participation in park tours and programs as well as vendor tours, in our off hours. When comparing our value using the wage paid to the other seasonal rangers ($15.25/hr at that time) to the hours worked and cost of benefits received, it figured out to be well under the national minimum wage and thus we were considered to be volunteers and no W-2 or  IRS1099 was issued. Campground hosts in public parks generally work far less but are on duty pretty much all of the time they are in the park in an "on call" basis so even though the actual hours of physical work are much less they are still considered to be volunteers based upon what it would cost the park to keep a paid employee in the park for similar numbers of hours. 

In the vast majority of situations where you work for someone who is reporting the cost of your living on their property as a deductible expense, then they must do something and more often it is paid you as a private contractor and you get an IRS form 1099 rather than a W2 because no benefits have been accrued and no taxes withheld. In two places we received a stipend(USFWS) and another we had some paid hours (a state park) and in each one of those there were income taxes withheld and we did receive a W2. 

Archived