Inexpensive Snow Birding in Georgia

billdean

I would like to get out of Michigan for the winter months this year and have been looking at southern Georgia or northern Florida. I have never been a snow bird and would like to try it this year for about 3 months. I have been looking all over the internet trying to find some inexpensive places to stay with my RV and my 2 border collies. Being on SSI I would like this to be as inexpensive as possible if that can even be done. I see some state parks are given 50% off but they only allow a 14 day stay and still may be to much. Are there any inexpensive place to camp in the area I am looking, or would they have all been taken by now. I am not really wanting to boondock or at least for not very long.  I wouldn't want my living/camping expenses to exceed $1500.00 per month. Is this even doable or am I dreaming?

I do not see the need to post the same question in multiable sections.  But I will give you the same answer that I posted in the other one.

I would say it is do-able.  But it really depends on how many things you do.  You could also look at work camping as a supplement also.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Well the cost of getting out of Dodge is going to be the biggest after that $1500 should get you by easy depending on your habits/ wine women/ cigars/booze. Half or better of your neighbors end up in Quartszite,AZ so you could join them there. especially if you like wine/women/booze:wub:

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

If you go a little further south to central Florida, the Escapees Sumter Oaks RV Park near Bushnell charges members $340/month plus electric for a full hookup 30 amp site, and a dollar more per day for a 50 amp site. No cable TV or WiFi there, but we supply our own anyway, and don't miss it. The park fills up early though, so getting in late in the year could be a problem, but there's usually some turnover each day. Once the park is 50% reserved, everything else is first come, first served. There's also an Escapees members owned co-op park a little further south near Wuachula. I don't know their rate structure off hand, but Escapees membership is a requirement.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, billdean said:

I would like to get out of Michigan for the winter months this year and have been looking at southern Georgia or northern Florida. I have never been a snow bird and would like to try it this year for about 3 months. I have been looking all over the internet trying to find some inexpensive places to stay with my RV and my 2 border collies. Being on SSI I would like this to be as inexpensive as possible if that can even be done. I see some state parks are given 50% off but they only allow a 14 day stay and still may be to much. Are there any inexpensive place to camp in the area I am looking, or would they have all been taken by now. I am not really wanting to boondock or at least for not very long.  I wouldn't want my living/camping expenses to exceed $1500.00 per month. Is this even doable or am I dreaming?

Dreaming ... You sure are . But , that's exactly where reality is born . 

It ain't gonna happen if YOU don't do it . You have to do your research on places to stay . Sounds like you're just starting that process . . Maybe you could augment things by doing a bit of work , one way or another . Workamping ( volunteering ) has been good for us , almost 8 years now . 

You might not want to 'confine' yourself by limiting where you want to stay . Pretty much any place south of 10 should be , at least , fairly decent . But , look at the weather forecasts , long range as well as shorter . According to one forecast , it looks like the southeast will be a bit damp this winter . 

We spent the last 3 - 4 winters on the Mississippi gulf coast and last winter in Rockport , Texas . Decent weather with not a lot of low temps , but , like Michigan , that can change .

Good Luck . There ain't nothin' to it but to do it . 

Goes around , comes around .

6 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Well the cost of getting out of Dodge is going to be the biggest after that $1500 should get you by easy depending on your habits/ wine women/ cigars/booze. Half or better of your neighbors end up in Quartszite,AZ so you could join them there. especially if you like wine/women/booze:wub:

I don't drink at all! At 66 years old my partying days are over with for sure. I am just looking for a place to winter with my 2 border collies. Some place that has warmer weather, maybe fish a little, walk my dogs and just relax for a few months. Though internet or cell phone service is a must.

Archived