US95 south from central Oregon through Nevada to Las Vegas

dzwiss

We will be heading south from central Oregon to Las Vegas, ending up in Congress, AZ, the last week of October.  I am  considering US95.  Does anyone have any experience on this route.  Any info insight, or advise would be appreciated.  Alternative route info also appreciated.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Traveled 95 many times.  Many feel the open desert of Nevada is a boring drive but I enjoy it.  Little traffic, picturesque landscape and good road surface nearly all the way.

Where in Central Oregon are you coming from?  To minimize any hill climbing you might consider going east in Hwy 20 through Burns and then SE on OR 78 and pick up US 95 north of McDermitt.  From there south to Winnemuca, SW on I80 to exit 83 and then on south on 95.

Lenp

From Madras

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

1 hour ago, lenp said:

Where in Central Oregon are you coming from?  To minimize any hill climbing you might consider going east in Hwy 20 through Burns and then SE on OR 78 and pick up US 95 north of McDermitt.  From there south to Winnemuca, SW on I80 to exit 83 and then on south on 95.

Lenp

From Madras

We will be having some windows repaired in La Pine, OR.  This route looks good to me.  Thanks for the info.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

We usually travel US-95 once a year, either going south in the fall or north in the spring (US-93 on the other side of the state is our alternate north/south route).

US-95 is a good road that even the largest rigs will have no problem with.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We have a few properties scattered around Oregon, Nevada, AZ and NM so we have been up and down 95 / 395 for a few decades and for the most part it is a OK drive........

Presently we are at a place we have in Bend and hope to head South around Oct 26th and will likely take Hy 20 to Burns then Hy 78 to Burns Junction where it joins Hy 95 and then just dodge the deer and Kalifornia drivers as we head South to Death Valley for about our 250th trip it seems......

Now IF you want to see some seldom seen part of the SE Oregon and NW Nevada with lots of Antelope and Wild Horses just take Hy 97 South out of LaPine and just a mile South turn East on Hy 31 and head to Lakeview and you will join Hy395 at Valley Falls and then you will pass the junction of Highway 140  just before you get to Lakeview .  You would like to turn onto Hy 140 East but it is likely that you better fill up full of fuel at the Shell station in Lakeview and then backtrack to Hy 140 East since there is NO FUEL for +200 miles from Lakeview to where Hy 140 joins Hy 95 in N. Nevada. 

IF you like Hot Springs you will love the Sheldon National Wildlife Headquarters Hot Springs and Bath house and you can Dry camp right at the Hot springs..........Warning: you are at least 200 miles from the nearest streetlight so the sky is so DARK that you have to wear sunglasses in the hot spring since the stars are so bright.......

Hy 140 has some 6,000 foot passes and a couple of three mile 8% grades with NO Guard rails but some days we only meet 3 rigs in 200 miles of driving so take it easy and enjoy the ride......

The only downside is that you are own with NO Cell or land line phones so make sure you have enough fuel and don't break down.

If you want feel free to call my cell at (520) 891-3695.

Drive on........(enjoy hwy 140,,,,)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

23 hours ago, lenp said:

Traveled 95 many times.  Many feel the open desert of Nevada is a boring drive but I enjoy it.  Little traffic, picturesque landscape and good road surface nearly all the way.

Lenp

From Madras

Since you are staring in La Pine, go a few miles south and pick up SR-31 to US-395 to Reno then over to US-95.  This route is about 80 miles shorter than the above route, according to my computer mapping program.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Keep a close eye on weather as you go south the last week of October.  There is some high country along US-95 in NV, elevation around 6000'.  At that elevation rain in lower elevations there could be snow & ice up there.  Any snow or ice, I would expect to go away on the highways in a day or two, so you could just stay in an RV Park for a couple of days if bad weather.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived