24 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

They do but if you have an inverter/charger why do you need a converter. I am not replacing mine, just having the inverter repaired. 

You're right, you don't need a converter if you have an inverter/charger. 

However I don't know of an inverter/charger which has a preset option for lithium. 

In fact, with the inverter/charger, if you leave the converter connected, the inverter, when on, will invert 120VAC from the batteries, going to the converter, which will supply charging voltage to the batteries, which power the inverter, and around and around we go till the batteries are dead. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I have a Magnum 2812 and I can customize the charge settings for my lithium. If you buy a Progressive converter, you have to tell them what voltage to set it at. A difference of .2 volts will make a difference between overcharging and a perfect charge. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

5 hours ago, Al F said:

However I don't know of an inverter/charger which has a preset option for lithium. 

Can't you set that manually, and wouldn't the people who make the batteries be able to tell you max and min values? I assume you have to set a threshold for both max charge and max discharge, right?

I am getting a little lost in the thread because it sounds like it has been geared more toward replacing the coach batteries with lithium. I may do that some day, but my intention at this point is to use them just for solar, powering just my electronics. All the careful math I have done as far as what the different combinations of devices will draw tells me that this should work fine. When I am on shore power, I will just need to move the plug for the power strip over 4 inches from the outlet that is connected to the inverter to the 120v outlet. A lot of stuff will be connected to the electronics power strip, but the 2 out of 3 computers I am not using will be off until I need them. 1 is for TV streaming and stored movies. The second is my daily use for email, banking, video editing, texting, etc. The third is my music studio PC. So one will be used with the TV set, the others with the monitor. I did all the wattage assessment and amps calculations. (Nerd.) So for starters I will have just one lithium battery, and add a second if it isn't working out.

I am actually an OVER planner, also unfortunately sometimes an over thinker and I can make things seem MUCH more complex than they really are. However, the inner nerd never really dies, so I am stuck with me. This thread has been very informative so far.

6 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

Can't you set that manually, and wouldn't the people who make the batteries be able to tell you max and min values? I assume you have to set a threshold for both max charge and max discharge, right?

What is being referred to here are the setting for charging voltages (several stages) and stage times. Flooded Lead Acid batteries have one set of optimum parameters, AGM batteries are slightly different, and Lithium are different still. While many inverter/chargers have preset programs available for common battery types, it appears that Lithium is not the the preset menu for most (all?). Some inverters allow you to set up custom values, which takes more work but would be best for Lithium batteries. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

14 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

I am getting a little lost in the thread because it sounds like it has been geared more toward replacing the coach batteries with lithium. I may do that some day, but my intention at this point is to use them just for solar, powering just my electronics. All the careful math I have done as far as what the different combinations of devices will draw tells me that this should work fine. When I am on shore power, I will just need to move the plug for the power strip over 4 inches from the outlet that is connected to the inverter to the 120v outlet. A lot of stuff will be connected to the electronics power strip, but the 2 out of 3 computers I am not using will be off until I need them. 1 is for TV streaming and stored movies. The second is my daily use for email, banking, video editing, texting, etc. The third is my music studio PC. So one will be used with the TV set, the others with the monitor. I did all the wattage assessment and amps calculations. (Nerd.) So for starters I will have just one lithium battery, and add a second if it isn't working out.

I am actually an OVER planner, also unfortunately sometimes an over thinker and I can make things seem MUCH more complex than they really are. However, the inner nerd never really dies, so I am stuck with me. This thread has been very informative so far.

On some or many chargers you can manually set the values.  The less expensive inverter/chargers or 3 stage charger only have 2-3 pre set parameters. 

Another issue is to manually set them people need to research the required values. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

14 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

This topic started as information about a specific lithium battery.  It will be a lot more productive and beneficial to you to start a new topic specific to your requirements.  More people will look at and reply to a new topic than open an old topic they already know is a discussion of the a specific battery. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived