I don't think that the restrictions in the supply lines on either a home or an RV are limiting to a faucet or shower valve.  The orifice in a shower valve is much, much smaller than any line or restriction in the supply.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All current US shower heads are limited to 2.5 GPM maximum by EPA regulations, or 2 GPM if "Water Sense" certified.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

52 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I don't think that the restrictions in the supply lines on either a home or an RV are limiting to a faucet or shower valve.

Certainly, every opinion is valid, but based on my experience mine is different than yours.  If the RV is using one of the cheaper pressure regulators, the flow passage in those is typically 1/4" or less while most whole house type regulators have a 3/4" port and the high volume regulators have a port ranging from 5/8" to as much as 3/4" so they too impact flow volume. Anything that restricts water flow in any way will lower the effective water pressure at the point of use. Compare the flow from a typical home faucet to that of an RV, especially when two things are using the water at the same time. It works much like a lawn sprinkler that will cover a large area if it is the only thing in use, but if you go to a smaller diameter hose or add a Y and connect another sprinkler to the same faucet, then both sprinklers will see less pressure due to the volume limits of the faucet or of the smaller hose. Most of the plumbing in an RV is more restrictive than that used in a house.

I am not a plumbing expert, but this is my view based on what physics knowledge I have (or think that I remember from school) and observation. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

If the RV is using one of the cheaper pressure regulators, the flow passage in those is typically 1/4" or less while most whole house type regulators have a 3/4" port and the high volume regulators have a port ranging from 5/8" to as much as 3/4" so they too impact flow volume. Anything that restricts water flow in any way will lower the effective water pressure at the point of use.

Kirk makes a very good point. I can tell when one or both of our water filters need changing as we see a reduction in flow inside the RV.

26 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

All current US shower heads are limited to 2.5 GPM maximum by EPA regulations, or 2 GPM if "Water Sense" certified.

I found it interesting that the "RV model" of Oxygenics is rated at 2.0 gpm whereas the multi-function one I have been looking at is rated 1.75 gpm.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 10/9/2017 at 8:14 AM, Chalkie said:

....would like to have a larger head if possible.

Another to consider is the Ecocamel Jetstorm. This post is from a couple of years ago, but "bumped" my Oxygentics to the outdoor shower and been using/loving it ever since.

I purchased the Jetstorm plus with multiple spray patterns. Their website has evolved so some of the info in the old thread may have changed.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, Chalkie said:

Kirk makes a very good point. I can tell when one or both of our water filters need changing as we see a reduction in flow inside the RV.

I found it interesting that the "RV model" of Oxygenics is rated at 2.0 gpm whereas the multi-function one I have been looking at is rated 1.75 gpm.

Obviously both could qualify for the EPA's "Water Sense" seal, but apparently the multi-function model has a little more flow restriction than the "RV model". That may be just a function of the design though, rather than intended as an increased water saving feature.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

I'm nearly certain that JimK is aware of the use of the weed sprayer for shower use,

Now that is innovation! I should have known that one back when we were tenting in the backcountry. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No never tried a weed sprayer.  When I tent camped I did use a portable shower bag that I hung in a tree with a tarp for privacy.  Now that I have an RV, I will enjoy the shower.  I have just learned to conserve when water is not available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 7:11 AM, Yarome said:

Another to consider is the Ecocamel Jetstorm. This post is from a couple of years ago, but "bumped" my Oxygentics to the outdoor shower and been using/loving it ever since.

I purchased the Jetstorm plus with multiple spray patterns. Their website has evolved so some of the info in the old thread may have changed.

Eco camel over the oxygentics. Eco camel is staying. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Hmm , our 15 dollar delivered , with an on/off 'switch' on the handle of the handheld head , looks for all the world like the Eco Camel plus . And , ours has a lever on the head output to control the type of or combinations and mount of spray . 

Sorry , I don't recall where I bought it or what it's name is . :(

Anyway , it gets us plenty wet , quick . I don't care how much water it takes either . No navy showers for me . I never run out of hot water .

Eco Camel Plus :

0jetplus-338x338.png

Goes around , comes around .

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived