Independent Lady

Is anybody here down at Rainbow Plantation?

I'm on my way down there for the winter, and thankful that I changed my plans to get there a bit early. Is anyone here down there?

The radar models show hurricane Nate to be heading straight for you all, so I'm wondering if you've left, decided to stay, or anything else you can share. .

I"m quite sure you've all found a safe place by now if you have decided to leave, as tonight is when it's supposed to reach land. 

I"m not due to be there for a few more weeks and I hope hurricane season is over by then,   

Hope you all have a safe place to wait it out,

Barbara

We are 15 miles south of the Plantation in Gulf Shores.  The forecast for Nate is easing quite a bit here although most of the folks in the campground are in local motels.  The 70+ mph wind forecast is dropping.  Enjoy the Plantation, it's a great Escapee park.      Greg 

Thanks so much for letting me know Greg-  Since I'm from New England, hurricanes are not something I'm familiar with. Having Rv's down there, of course, is not like living in a solid home with more protection, so I'm glad everyone went to motels. 

Hopefully the season is done in a few weeks when I get there, but when I googled hurricane season, it mentioned it lasts through the end of November..

I'd be the first one to get a motel room if another comes!

thanks again

Barbara

Hi again Greg, I just read your latest post on your blog, good that you have a safe place just in case also. 

I was wondering, I'm not sure how large your Rv is, can't tell from the photo, but I was wondering if you parked it somewhere more out of the wind, near a building, or close to other Rv's? Not sure if that would make a difference. I have never been in 70 MPH winds before, but I think it was smart of you to weigh it down as you did.

My little twenty footer would probably be gone in a wind like that. I was just up in Kansas and a storm came from out of nowhere.. I though a tornado was coming, so all I could think of was to hitch the truck back up, hoping that would help 

Turned out it wasn't a tornado, but the winds were gusting pretty fierce. A bit scary,  

Hope all is well,

Barbara

It's 37' and 17.2K pounds plus about 1000 pounds of extra water in all the tanks tonight.  We just fill the tanks, bring in the slides, and put stuff away and left it in the campground site.  Most folks closed theirs up and are in a motel, some stayed in their RVs.  There are many summer people who left their RVs here and will return for the shrimp festival next week.   Doubt there will be any trouble for them as the winds probably will not be as bad as forecast.   They might have some rain blow inside through their slide seals.   FYI, we haven't  been in 70mph winds either, hope neither of us ever are.      Greg

Nate was false news in Gulf Shores as far as I am concerned.  Weather Channel had Jim Cantore in neighboring Orange Beach last night and the locals thought the world must be about to end.  He's in  Mississippi today.  Lots of rain but I doubt the wind even reached 50mph.  Neighbor this am said his new slide covers never even flapped in the wind.  Another said her 5W rocked only twice.  No damage here in this campground.  I wonder if the media gets cut on all the $$$ the local motels made?      Greg

20 hours ago, Big Greg said:

FYI, we haven't  been in 70mph winds either, hope neither of us ever are.      Greg

We were. 70 mph winds in La Posa South one night. we were in a Class C. Lot's of rocking and rolling but no in-air flight. When the winds changed direction during the night, we moved so as to be head on into it again. Nice to be in the desert where that was an option. Not fun but we survived just fine.

Linda Sand