Detroit DD5, DD8 Introduction

NoDirectionHome

I've been fortunate to have been invited to Detroit Diesel's introduction of their two new engines.  The DD5 & DD8 that will be available in the M2-106 and M2-112.  The trip includes a factory tour and a driving day at Belle Isle.  I'm pretty psyched.  If anyone has any question, give me a shout and I'll try to get them answered. -Steve

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I love factory tours such as the one you are about to enjoy. They show right up front and personal exactly how clever these people are at not only manufacturing a product to extremely high tolerances, but doing it with almost no failure rate, and at  production numbers that are astounding. . Renews my faith in humanity every time. 

Give us a full report. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Sounds like a fun and enlightening trip.  When you get back maybe you could explain the rationale behind new offerings with smaller(apparently) engines than currently available in the M2 106 and 112.  My old 106 had a 7.2L Mercedes engine and my current 112 has the DD 13.  Will be interested to hear the torque the DD 5 and DD 8 will be offering.  Recall the old adage "no replacement for displacement"  Looking forward to you report, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

6 minutes ago, grumpydoc said:

Recall the old adage "no replacement for displacement"

So true!  I'm no double clutch'in gear jamm'in star, but those 15.6 liters (952 cu-in) sure do make me look good at times.

2 hours ago, beyerjf said:

I love factory tours

I've always felt there should be a vacation tour of American manufacturing to include mining, steel making, auto manufacturing, and aircraft manufacturing.  I'd sign up in a minute!

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

22 hours ago, NoDirectionHome said:

I've always felt there should be a vacation tour of American manufacturing to include mining, steel making, auto manufacturing, and aircraft manufacturing.  I'd sign up in a minute!

Hmmmm...sounds like a business opportunity.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just got back from Detroit diesel's amazing plant.  The most amazing part is the turnaround of the company and it's amazing workforce in their 3.3 million sq-ft plant.  The "new" engines, (they've been running 5-6 yrs. in Europe) are impressive with the magic being the 1st diesel engine with variable valve timing that controls the heat to the emission equipment negating any worry of long idle periods.  They've also tripled the maintainence period of the Cummins engine at 15000 to 45000 mile.  The plant also build the DT12 automated manual transmission and front and rear axles.  It is a single countershaft tranny but the gear are about 3.75" wide
       I got to drive 8 variants of the DD8 in multiple chassis' from refuse, to dump to tractor-trailers (beer/soda delivery) on a road course.  At 43K gross an M106/DD8 at 360 hp 1050 torque with a 5.33 rr and an Allison 3500 isn't gonna isn't for a hot rodder mindset but is probably a great combo for a 33K GCWR 5th wheel combo.  I have some pictures and movies but the photo hosting thing appears beyond me so far.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived