Tra-Park - Pecos

Dejae

Ok, we are not escapees members yet but we decided that after the first of the year when things are in better order for us, we would join.

So we thought we would stop at one of their properties. We made a reservation at TraPark - Pecos being we were going through there.

OMG, this is not an RV Park, not even a parking lot. It is totally horrible!!!!

I can't even find words to explain what a horror this was. I would call this pre-Halloween setup.

Starts with, signs don't appear nearly enough to direct you where they are.

Finally get here.....the man at in the office had an attitude that was beyond.

Gave us space 6, no patio, all others have a patio. Our reservation was for a pull thru with 50 amp service for 3 nights.

Well space 6 is a pull through....we are just about into the main roadway because any farther back and we can't open our slides, that is how close the spaces are. So DH goes to hook up electric and all that is available is 30 amp. So he goes to the office and says....oh, well the guy next to you must have plugged into it. I don't have any other spaces to give you, so I will give you back your $1 for the 50 amp upgrade. Then said, make sure you get out there early, that guy leaves tomorrow and you can plug into the 50 amp service. REALLY? This is what an Escapees park is like?

Nothing clean about this park at all. No one pulls into the spaces straight, they are in how ever they feel like it, so when you pull in, you feel like a freakin snake.

So the really nice man in the office (NOT!) Says, HEY, if you want your money back and go somewhere else, I will gladly do so. By this time it is almost 5pm, where are we going to go, I don't like to travel in the dark and this is the only park in Pecos.

I will tell you, I will boondock in an empty lot somewhere before I will pay the rediculous prices for a disgusting hole in the wall.

Here I was, like a fool, saying to my husband, OH LOOK, an escapees park in Pecos, make a reservation there, things should be warm hearted and welcoming. Boy was I shocked and just as embarrassed.

Escapees, if all your parks are like that......shame

If not, you should sell this one....its horrible

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Yep! Escapees should be ashamed to allow their name to be associated with this dump.  We stayed there 3 years ago for 1 night and it was a dump.  Signage to the place and the campsites are indeed confusing.

IMO, Escapees should either improve the "RV Park", close it down or sell it.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Have stayed there a couple  times when passing thru, mostly oil field workers, not fancy but  adequate for an area where the economy is at the whim of oil production. Not much to do in town  once you see the museum.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

I agree with you. We were going to stay there for 4 nights killing time until we needed to arrive at our ultimate destination. The management, if you want to call them that, had an attitude. The parking site was so tight we could barely put out our slides, and the awning was out of the question. The laundry room was flooded. The DW offered to mop it up, although it was not her that did it, and got yelled at for her efforts. 

We pulled out after 2 nights, I never asked for a refund, I just wanted to see that place in the rear view mirror. 

We will NEVER stay there again.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Please don't equate this park with the other parks in the system.  We've stayed in all of them, both Co-ops and Rainbow parks) from Texas on west and all of them have been nice (and, the last time we stayed at the one in Pecos...many, many years ago...it was nice, too, although still not as nice as the other parks we've been to in the system).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I agree with LindaH, Pecos isn't a garden spot by a long shot.  Casa Grand is rather tight too.  Summerdale, AL is great and we also like Branson, MO.  Best park is coop in Coursegold, CA at Park of the Sierras.  The 2 in FL are nice, especially the co op in Wauchula.  Sutherlin, OR was nice too, including the turkeys, rabbit and deer.  I look at Escapee parks like any other......some are overnight only, some are nice, and some are great.    Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We haven't been to Tra-Park yet, but as said, the other parks are similar to many other private parks, with some better than others, and some sites within the parks better than others as well. We've generally been satisfied with our most recent stays at Sumter Oaks in FL and Raccoon Valley in TN, although we have had sites that while acceptable for our stay, were not as nice as other sites we've had, especially for stays longer than a few days. In all cases though, we've had a friendly welcome in the office on arrival, with the usual Escapees hugs or handshakes readily offered. The rest of the staff has also been friendly, and the maintenance workers have always been appreciative when I offered to lend a hand when it appeared to be needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, Al F said:

Yep! Escapees should be ashamed to allow their name to be associated with this dump.  We stayed there 3 years ago for 1 night and it was a dump.  Signage to the place and the campsites are indeed confusing.

IMO, Escapees should either improve the "RV Park", close it down or sell it.

And it is amazing that the sign says on it. AN ESCAPEES PARK, not an escapees affiliated park or supported park...so it tells me they own it. That is where the shock came in. To me, that is like having a corporate owned Starbucks and the milk in your drink is curdled.

Blessed Travels,

5 hours ago, jeomelia said:

Have stayed there a couple  times when passing thru, mostly oil field workers, not fancy but  adequate for an area where the economy is at the whim of oil production. Not much to do in town  once you see the museum.

I wasn't there to see anything, just stopping over. We stayed 3 nights because it was Escapees and we knew we were interested in joining. The oil field workers don't bother me. I have stayed in many parks where there are construction workers cause they are building something big in the area. It is the way one is treated at the office, the filth, the signage that has super small writing and the paint is peeling off of all of them.

Here is a happy one for you that I found out today. On each side of me was a travel trailer that arrived yesterday before me, stayed ONE NIGHT. One of them of course using MY 50 amp service, they each had nice patios and faced inward. I got the space facing the oil fields and no patio. Came to learn that the patio spaces are the real spaces. The ones facing the field are were not originally spaces. Being there was 30 and 50 amp on the pole they could squeeze more people in facing the opposite way and one would get 30 amp and one would get 50 amp. They had some one come dig down and put in a Y at the sewer  and water lines. A permanent guy told my husband. He said it allowed them to double up renters cause most were permanents.

It's a big park, spread over the streets worth of spaces. I am sure it probably wasnt real expensive to buy and makes Escapees good money but I personally think reputation has more value.

Blessed Travels,

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I agree with you. We were going to stay there for 4 nights killing time until we needed to arrive at our ultimate destination. The management, if you want to call them that, had an attitude. The parking site was so tight we could barely put out our slides, and the awning was out of the question. The laundry room was flooded. The DW offered to mop it up, although it was not her that did it, and got yelled at for her efforts. 

We pulled out after 2 nights, I never asked for a refund, I just wanted to see that place in the rear view mirror. 

We will NEVER stay there again.

We had no problem opening our 4 slides because as I had said in my original post. We had to pull so far forward to open them, we are literately 3-4 ft from main street. Last night we were watching some tv and being no one is out in the field we had the front shade open. Well an ambulance with no emergency lights on flew by at about 60-70 mph. We both almost had a heart attack. About a 1/2 hr later, he returned, doing the same thing. Most of the vehicles out there are going by doing 40-50 mph but this was insane.

Blessed Travels,

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

Please don't equate this park with the other parks in the system.  We've stayed in all of them, both Co-ops and Rainbow parks) from Texas on west and all of them have been nice (and, the last time we stayed at the one in Pecos...many, many years ago...it was nice, too, although still not as nice as the other parks we've been to in the system).

I can appreciate that Linda but if you are SAYING it was nice at one time. Then I say, shame on Escapees for not following up and making sure it stays nice. That is as bad as some CG we have stayed at that their website they tell you how their CG is so nice, everyone must follow rules, that is how we keep it nice and keep our good reputation, you get there, they hand you a 2 page set of rules and then as you stay there, you see that NO ONE follows any of the rules. Well Escapees needs to send people from corporate to surprise inspect from time to time. If the person managing the park is just a host and it changes host hands, then they need to make sure they get it. If it is a permanent manager then they for sure NEED A NEW ONE and need to get down here and turn this into a CG instead of a dirt lot where everyone is all over the place. The map they give you looks nothing like how everyone is set up and the guy in the office could care less. Who ever he is.

As far as judging others in the system by this one. Obviously Escapees corporate doesn't care what you think anyway cause if they did, it would show, starting right here. Not saying the others aren't nice or good. But Escapees should have standard that they set and all of them should live up to it or better. I am assuming Escapees has no standards on their parks.

Blessed Travels,

In final note. I guess I was expecting it to be like it is here at rvnetwork.com

There are disputes, even disruptions from time to time. I call them glitches and hickups and you get them in CG too.

I don't expect every park Escapees owns or affiliates itself with but I expected it to be like here. Controlled, Organized, Cleaned Up, Friendly and Welcoming and I didn't find or see any of that.

That would be like allowing someone to post ads for makeup or shoes in the RV's for Sale section. Not making one of the sections not conform and the others all have to conform is not proper. I guess I may use bad examples but I think you all get my point.

BTW, I was wrong, DH just for the heck of it...because I had TT and a pole on my drivers side and on the other side I had a TT that decided to park in the middle of its space. (both had slides on them) we were forced to pull far forward so I could open my bedroom slides. DH measured with a measuring tape. we are 33 inches from the 50-60-70mph road out front that has no lights on it. How safe are we? There is a guy that is about 5 spaces down and in order for him to be able to park his pickup truck, his bumper is with no exaggeration about 9 inches from the road. Ok, I am done with being upset and depressed over this so called CG. It is for surely a never again park. As for joining Escapees, not sure as this left a bad taste in our mouths. Other than staying in our parks, we really have no use for Escapees. we can't do any of their events as we have 2 senior dogs that can't be left in the RV alone. We can't do gatherings, rallies or that kind of stuff. We are already registered to Americas Mailbox in SD, so we don't need the mail service. So other than the parks and this great forum the only other thing that I can think of that we would or could ever need is possibly C.A.R.E. being we are seniors. 

Blessed Travels,

To call this park a dump is unfair to the well kept sanitary landfills around. We stayed there once. Power was on one side of the site and water was on the other. Since we were only there for the night, we lined up with the power connection on the driver side. Someone complained about us facing the wrong direction (for apparently no reason since it didn't matter what direction we faced). They quieted down when I pointed out the power and water connections and asked them to help me determine which direction was 'right'.

We'll stay anywhere else before staying there again.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Well I went for a walk through the park today...it was amazing!

People with piled up old tires around their RV and behind them.

Some had piles and piles of wood, some had what I call trash

Some had lots of car parts. One built an overhang on his patio out of wood. It is so old and peeling and dry rotted that you expect, one good wind and it will be down.

NOW, I understand how fires start in RV parks and many RVs wind up in a blaze, not just the one. We are so tight here, you can't walk between the RV's to get to your car parked behind you. We are lucky that on one side the there is a small Class C there so we can get by him. Otherwise I would have to walk all the way around. Trash everywhere. Alot of the RV's look like they were adopted from Houston's Hurricane Harvey. They are leaning and when the people get in them the whole thing just shakes all over. The office is so bad and no office sign that I had asked when I made my reservation, could I get a pkg delivered here and they said yes, no problem. Well it was suppose to be delivered today and UPS did not deliver it as they could not find the office to hand it in. WHY? Cause you have to walk through the laundromat to get into the office. No signs saying so. I called UPS, she said, he went there but like always, no one is there and there is no office. We usually won't even bother going out there anymore because of this...but he did try. So now my pkg is being sent back to sender as UPS won't forward to my next CG. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS?!?!

The office here is not only hidden behind the laundry room but closes from 12-230. HUH? 2.5 hr lunch? I asked UPS how do people here get pkgs, she said they either have a PMB somewhere or it gets delivered to our UPS store. What a sick situation. Glad it wasn't my first experience RVing!.

Blessed Travels,

Well we stayed there some years back and as we had read reviews got more or less what we expected. 

A cramped site and some scruffy long term stay sites with junk stashed under the rig nearby. .

But the 30 amp supply was fine. The WiFi worked the laundry was clean and worked just fine even if the appliances were a little worn.

We were travelling with our large geriatric German Shepherd and they were happy to see him unlike some parks. 

Fine for a night or two 

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Geeze, this thread....... Pecos is like 87 miles from the city limits of nowhere. What would make anybody think that an RV park there is going to be anything but a dump? Like a dry, dusty town in west Texas will have that special, magic 3x3 block area where it is grassy, beautiful and has daisies growing in the park? C'mon now. This RV thing can't be beaches and mountain vistas every night. There are going to be uncomfortable days and clunker RV Parks out there, but you don't have to stay in them. I can't imagine there was a guy at the gate holding a gun to anybody's head forcing them to stay there. If it is THAT horrible, a night in a Walmart lot sounds like a much better option rather than ruining your mood because you hate it there.

The mental picture I have here is yuppies in a restaurant saying "Eeeeew! That pasta with pesto looks HORRIBLE!! I think I'll have that." and then complaining about the food. I mean, first of all, don't order pasta with pesto at Ramon and Isabela's Taqueria......

I looked at that park a while back while doing initial research. Using Google maps, satellite view, then street view, and it took under 30 seconds to know I want zero to do with it. 

The point is that this is an Escapees Park.  Being part of a quality organization the park and having the name of the organization the park should reflect the quality of the parent organization.

Kind of like making reservations for a Holiday Inn or a Hilton, only to find when you get there the place is strip motel with gravel parking area and junk laying around. 

No problem from me if some John Doe's want to set up a dump for a RV park.  As you said, if you don't like it don't stay there. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, Big Greg said:

I agree with LindaH, Pecos isn't a garden spot by a long shot.  Casa Grand is rather tight too.  Summerdale, AL is great and we also like Branson, MO.  Best park is coop in Coursegold, CA at Park of the Sierras.  The 2 in FL are nice, especially the co op in Wauchula.  Sutherlin, OR was nice too, including the turkeys, rabbit and deer.  I look at Escapee parks like any other......some are overnight only, some are nice, and some are great.    Greg

The experience in any Escapee Park can be negative if some of the residents  are making this a permanent home and bring the bad influences of their visitors, of bad language, violent actions that bring police and unfriendly interactions and unkempt housing.  I would hope Escapees can put in place policies that keep this to a minimum.  I drive through RV parks before I stay and leave when I see these situations since they are becoming more frequent unfortunately.

I don't know personally anyone else's experience but the times I have stopped at Tra park I found it adequate for my traveling purposes though not fancy. I admit most of my expereinces have not been recent.  I do go by looks of parks to some extent but have found some that I had reservations about that turned out to be great places to stay.

One thing I did just notice is I did not find it listed under Rainbow Parks on the escapes web site last evening so I was wondering if it is still an escapees park.  I also tried to find the rates for Summerdale park and altought the park pulled up the rates wouldn't.

11 hours ago, trostberg said:

I would hope Escapees can put in place policies that keep this to a minimum. 

The Rainbow Parks are Escapee owned but the co-op parks were organized by the Escapees but once all memberships were sold out the members took over ownership and management of the parks and so are only affiliated with the organization now. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It looks like Escapees.com has removed the link to the park from their website.  This was the link to the Pecos Rainbow park: https://www.escapees.com/support/parking/rainbow-parks/pecos-texas

But the link no longer works. 

Maybe Escapees finally realized the park was giving a very bad impression of Escapees in general.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

So far, we've only stayed at the SKP parks in Branson, MO, Bushnell, FL, and Heiskell, TN, and our experiences at those three have been nothing but positive. Our longest stays have been 4-5 weeks in the winters in Bushnell, and we're looking forward to another several week stay this winter. We haven't visited the Wauchula, FL co-op yet, but it is on our "to-do" list when the location fits our travel plans and they have a spot for us, and we are looking forward to it based on what we've heard from other members. I hope whatever is going on in Pecos gets straightened out soon and the park becomes what we've come to expect in SKP parks...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

While TRA Park is still part of the Rainbow Parks system, we discontinued promoting it alongside our other Rainbow Parks about a year ago. It is primarily occupied by long-term guests who work in the nearby oil fields. As such, it is less of a destination park than our other Rainbow Parks and may give members an inaccurate perception of our Rainbow Parks system. It has no activity center, clubhouse, ERPU, or deeded lots.

The member discount, policies and operation remain the same, and overnight guests are still welcome. TRA Park is still included in our discount park listings so that members are aware it is available, but we do not promote it as a Rainbow Park due to the reasons listed above. 

Archived