toilet issue

hasti14

If your foot pedal has a covering, take it off and see if you can see where the spring is - spray some silicone spray in and around that.  Ours was the same, sprayed some in and away she went.  I now do it about every 3-4 months.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The spring could also be weak or about to break.  It's pretty simple to replace and not expensive.  You just need to make sure you have the correct part number.  For Dometic/Sealand toilets there are at least two different styles and they aren't interchangeable.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The ball valve or bowl seal could be dragging and cause the same issue. OP doesn't state the make and model of toilet. If you put a little silicone grease on the ball valve and work the valve a few times and it closes OK, replace the bowl seal. Then do two things. Never use harsh cleaners in the bowl (Dollar Tree foam cleaner works good). I use a Thetford toilet seal conditioner once a month per bottle directions. I replaced my first seal at 4 months old and never had to replace a seal ever since and we are 13 FTing.  

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

• 3 weeks later...

it is a thetford toilet with the side pedal. other forum suggested using plumbers silicone grease. did that and it seemed to improve for a bit. will have to go on thetford site and check out the schematics to see if a spring is involved. thanks

There is a screen where the water enters the assembly below the spring.  Found ours full of 'crystals', used swab dipped in vinegar to clean out - that helped some.  Also pour vinegar every month of so into the toilet bowl to help dissolve any calcium/magnesium carbonate precipitate which keeps the ball rolling smoothly.

But the silicon spray was really the thing that cured our foot pedal problem.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Yea the Thetford Aqua Magic with the side arm---been there done that---Ordered a repair kit worked for a while but not long. My next repair was MUCH more effective. I threw it in the trash and bought the Dometic 310.

Dave and Lana Hasper

We have the Thetford and have been dealing with a the lifting foot solution for a couple of years now. Then a month ago it started not holding water either. So I got the model# from the rear bottom of the toilet, Aqua Magic Style II Model# 42054 and ordered a kit from Amazon# 34120 waste ball & seal, for around $13. I remove the two nuts near the floor flange along with the water line and took the toilet outside. Turning the toilet upside down you will see two screws inside from the back, once removed this will allow the toilet to be split in half. Then it's just a matter of removing the rubber ball seal and replacing it. Note: clean the ball surface with steel wool or SOS pad so it doesn't scratch/scour the new seal. The kit also includes a new seal for the floor. Now our toilet snaps closed when you release the lever. Hope this helps.

Greg

Archived