Has the Texas law changed regarding the drivers licene required for one ton truck?

chiefneon

Howdy!

I stopped into a new truck Ford dealer the other day just looking at New Ford F-350 trucks. Talked to the fleet sales manager and he stated that to purchase one of these trucks at there tow rating required a commercial license. I advised him I had a class A license, but he didn't  seem to know what that was stating "no they would require a commercial license". So anyone know if there has there been a change in the Texas law.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Don't know what he talking about. Typical car salesman. If you not commercial don't need a commercial liscene. If you tow over 26k you need a class a. As long as you stay under this weight, typical class c. It is unlikely you ever get checked for this weight. Best to be legal though. Most people don't even know their weight. But just go to Texas DPS website

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Actually it is if you tow over 10,000 pounds that you may need a Class A license.

Is the Vehicle a Motorhome or Truck?

Motorhome                          

…… Is the GVWR (motorhome alone) > 26,000#?

………….Yes, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?

……………...Yes ,  Class A

………………No ,   Class B 

………….No, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?

………………Yes,  Class A

………………No, Class C

Truck/Trailer Combo

…..Is the GCWR (Combined weight of truck/trailer)  > 26,000#

…………Yes,  Is the trailer > 10,000#?

………………Yes,  Class A

………………No,  Class C

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

TX did change their laws for 2017. I think now if you are over 26k total weight with a trailer over 10k, you need a non commercial class A license. I don't know if TX calls it something else, but I know it's affecting a lot of Class A RV's and larger 5th wheel people. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I don't believe it is enforced at all. Really difficult to look at a trailer/truck combo and detrime it over weight. Not advocating it but of all the guys with campers I work with, they just have class c. Some of them 450's and 40' campers. They get stopped for speeding but no problems with their liscene. I have a Class A using the HDT. Always a Class C with the dually. I always over 10k camper and over 26k combined. Never a problem. The HDT is obvious.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

TX did change their laws for 2017.

There is an updated 2917 Texas Driver Handbook which defines the license requirements. 

Class A Driver License A Class A driver license permits a person to drive:

1. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles described under a Class B or Class C driver license; and

2. A vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs. A Class A driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

Class B Driver License A Class B driver license permits a person to drive:

1. Any vehicle included in Class C;

2. A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 lbs. or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs.; and A Class B driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

Class C Driver License

1. A single vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B and

2. A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 lbs. towing a trailer not to exceed 10,000 lbs. GVWR or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 lbs. 3. An autocycle, defined as a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is: • Designed to not have more than three wheels on the ground when moving • Equipped with a steering wheel • Equipped with seats that do not require the operator to straddle or sit astride the seat • Manufactured and certified to comply with federal safety requirements for a motorcycle A Class C driver license does not permit a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another page to help explain that in Texas a Class A or B can be commercial or non-commercial (AKA - exempt).

This has not changed - it has been this way for some time - just misunderstood. 

What changed recently is where the testing is done for these exempt (non-commercial) class licenses.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

13 hours ago, chiefneon said:

Talked to the fleet sales manager and he stated that to purchase one of these trucks at there tow rating required a commercial license.

This is why one should NEVER take the word of a salesperson!  He was wrong, wrong, wrong, as the previous replies state. 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

A class A license is a commercial licens without the medical and reporting part. You dan not drive commercially on it but you can foe your own use. If you want the truck they will sell it to you. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

OK, so now I understand.   So you are legal but are suggesting others don't worry about and just go on their way.

????? I don't see where he said others should ignore it? He even said he didn't advocate it? He just said he didn't believe it was enforced much since it's hard to tell a 5th wheel with a regular truck that is over that weight? 

On 10/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, GlennWest said:

Don't know what he talking about. Typical car salesman. If you not commercial don't need a commercial liscene. If you tow over 26k you need a class a. As long as you stay under this weight, typical class c. It is unlikely you ever get checked for this weight. Best to be legal though. Most people don't even know their weight. But just go to Texas DPS website

On 10/2/2017 at 11:54 PM, GlennWest said:

I don't believe it is enforced at all. Really difficult to look at a trailer/truck combo and detrime it over weight. Not advocating it but of all the guys with campers I work with, they just have class c. Some of them 450's and 40' campers. They get stopped for speeding but no problems with their liscene. I have a Class A using the HDT. Always a Class C with the dually. I always over 10k camper and over 26k combined. Never a problem. The HDT is obvious.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

The short story is I can buy an 18 wheeler without a DL at all just ID and be completely legal . I have not broken any law anywhere until I get behind the wheel and drive off the lot. Otherwise how can a purchasing agent for a company buy trucks .

You had a sales rep that did not know green beans from applesauce .

Find another dealer ,its as simple as that.

7 hours ago, Tex Bigfoot said:

The short story is I can buy an 18 wheeler without a DL at all just ID and be completely legal . I have not broken any law anywhere until I get behind the wheel and drive off the lot. Otherwise how can a purchasing agent for a company buy trucks .

You had a sales rep that did not know green beans from applesauce .

Find another dealer ,its as simple as that.

Even simpler is get a drivers liscense from South Dakota using the Escapees address there. No problem, no special liscense required. Drive anything you want to. 

7 hours ago, Tex Bigfoot said:

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Twotoes

I'm not going to argue with you because a lot of folks do it ( drive without the proper license ) all the time but that law is federal .

some states just enforce it more strictly than others. I also agree that South Dakota is one of the easiest states to deal with regarding licensing.   

My only experience with this is on the commercial side and not the private side of things 

The law for 26,001 lb and higher is not new.  The requirement has been around for years.  The older "1 ton" DRW trucks did not have the tow or payload ratings to push many drivers into the requirements.

The exam and driving test are not that difficult.  The biggest issue is scheduling the test.

This may start a big fuss, but my opinion is that if you cannot pass the exam and driving test you should not be driving that much rig.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 10/2/2017 at 10:54 PM, GlennWest said:

Really difficult to look at a trailer/truck combo and determine it over weight. 

Glenn, it really isn't that difficult since the Texas DL law refers to weight rating, not actual weight. 

On 10/5/2017 at 4:53 AM, Tex Bigfoot said:

I'm not going to argue with you because a lot of folks do it ( drive without the proper license ) all the time but that law is federal .

Uh, no it is not.
DL law is goverend by State law, not any federal code.
CDL law in some states is Federal, but not all. Texas only adopted the federal code for CDL's two years ago. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 10/4/2017 at 12:33 PM, Twotoes said:

Even simpler is get a drivers liscense from South Dakota using the Escapees address there. No problem, no special liscense required. Drive anything you want to. 

That's only simple if you LIVE in South Dakota. It's illegal if you are a Texas resident. 

2014 smart Fortwo

19 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Glenn, it really isn't that difficult since the Texas DL law refers to weight rating, not actual weight. 

Uh, no it is not.
DL law is goverend by State law, not any federal code.
CDL law in some states is Federal, but not all. Texas only adopted the federal code for CDL's two years ago. 

What I was referring to determining if it over 26k and requiring a class A. I can't look at a 5th and determine it's weight. I do know some since it is our interest being owners of them.

So am I Glenn. Think about it, what is the GVWR of a 1-ton LGT? And if you spend any time around trailers (of any kind) you can guess the GVWR of the trailer too. Truck plus trailer (over 10,000 GVWR) that equals 26,001 or better isn't hard to spot. Face it, any trailer like yours and mine requires a Class A DL , unless you are towing yours with the smart car. 3 axle trailer? Class A...2 axles with 8 tires? Class A...come on, it isn't hard. 

2014 smart Fortwo

When I lived in Illinois I had a Class C but upgraded to Class A Non CDL when I purchased 14,000 pound FW. Illinois law follows the Federal Std. When I became a Texas resident, I had only prove my citizenship by Passport and take the written test. Examiner told me many from out of state come in with their pickup with the FW hitch in back. Questions lead them exiting with a Class A.

My wife has never drove my truck and I didn't know Illinois had a Class D until last week. But I now know she can't drive my  truck or can not she drive her car with a little trailer attached. I have saw lots of Illinois cars and trucks pulling trailers outside their CGVWR and I wonder how many are within the law. From above comments I now know not all states use the Federal Standard. Kinda scarily.

Illinois Class of License  C & D

Class C — Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds but less
than 26,001 pounds; or any such vehicle towing another with a GVWR of 10,000
pounds or less; or any such vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or hazardous materials that require placarding. Does not include
motorcycles or motor-driven cycles.

Class D — SINGLE motor vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 pounds or less, except those
vehicles requiring a Class A, B or C driver’s license or an L or M motorcycle license. Note I added SINGLE in bold as that is what is stated on my wife's Illinois DL

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Well, Phil, must just not be inforced then. I know so many, I work with them, that only has class c and are over 26k. They say they are fine. Never a problem. One has a 44' Memphis DRV towing with 450 Ford. Class C. 

Archived