navigation systems apps android

jackarnold

Hitting the road in a couple of days--mostly the southwest. traveling in a 2016 class b+ 26' motorhome, that is 11' high, and has good clearance, except for the exhaust! Looking for an app that will find best routes for clearance, diesel, occasional service in case i need help, maybe boondocking, getting around Los Angeles :(  etc.

looking for an android app or something i can run with onboard gps

many thanks

2016 Navion 24J Diesel

Howdy!

Take a look at the Co-pilot premium app. Been using Co-pilot for years works great.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

18 hours ago, jackarnold said:

Hitting the road in a couple of days--mostly the southwest. traveling in a 2016 class b+ 26' motorhome, that is 11' high, and has good clearance, except for the exhaust! Looking for an app that will find best routes for clearance, diesel, occasional service in case i need help, maybe boondocking, getting around Los Angeles :(  etc.

looking for an android app or something i can run with onboard gps

many thanks

Commercial trucks are 13'6" tall, so anywhere they'll fit, you'll fit.  Pay attention to overhead clearance signs and don't forget things like overhead canopies at gas stations, etc.

My cellphone is my GPS using Google Maps.  I just leave it open while I'm driving and the cellphone GPS auto-tracks, etc.  Or you can use an Android tablet if it has cellular data.  Google Maps compares proposed routes with cellular coverage areas, and if a proposed route goes through an area with poor or no coverage it will ask if you want to download the map information in advance.

Google Maps not only routes you to your destination, but it displays real time traffic information for major streets in most cities and on highways around the country, and is indispensable for driving around Los Angeles and other major cities.

Gasbuddy.com has about the best information about where to find fuel and it's pricing.  I use the Gas Price Heat Map and just zoom in to the area I'm interested in.  Select diesel instead of gas if that's what you're burning.

You need a data plan for these, I have a Straight Talk phone (from Walmart) and $35 per month with auto refill from a credit card gets unlimited phone calls and 8gb of high speed data.  I surf the Web while eating lunch, use Maps, etc. and rarely use over 2gb per month.

19 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

My cellphone is my GPS using Google Maps. 

I too use Google maps in certain circumstances, however, never for my RV. I was led astray (as far as my RV was concerned) when Google maps took me on a route that had a bridge I could not cross due to weight restrictions. So now for the RV I rely on my RV specific GPS where it accounts for my RV profile. I can see where CoPilot for RV would be good as well but I just can't find a good place to mount my tablet and (for me) the phone screen is too small. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Check out TruckerPath app. I use it on our Samsung phone, I'm a satisfied user. It's a free app designed for professional truckers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived