For Sale- Argosy

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

No wonder he has to have a 16K front axle. Look at all the chrome on the instrument panel....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

1 hour ago, peety3 said:

It's 4.11 Canadian, right, so that'd be 3.00 US,eh? :)

That's too funny.  Thanks for the grin.:lol:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The problem for this particular truck start at the 4.11 rears, continue forward to an 18 speed manual trans. The wet kit and 3" product pump could be removed, and sold to recoup some $$$, but the fact remains. This truck was spec'd for heavy haul, and has very limited appeal, outside the body style.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Having spent half a lifetime driving buses, I would ditch the wet kit and the product pump, swap the 18-speed for an Allison, and single it short. The Allison has a high (low numerical, like about .64) overdrive, which would be fine on the 4:11s. I haven't done the math, but it would drop the rpm down to a tolerable range.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Other than body style, this unit has ZERO appeal for this crowd, There, I said it.

Well I can sure understand the "ZERO appeal" for "this crowd" since obviously the "large-population-of-class 8-truck-ExPeRtz" here on the forum most likely have at least a "zillion-miles" logged in a fleet Argosy's...............

Now obviously Jeff has joined the forum to get "enlightened" about trucks and once he gets a couple million miles of class 8 miles in his logbook he might be able to borrow enough money to bail out of his Argosy and get a real truck.........poor guy just having to park out in the back of the truck stop lot with the hog-haulers and Autocars...........

Now my "claim-to-Argosy-enlightenment"  is pretty sketchy since a few years ago I hitched a few hundred mile round trip in a fleet of stunning Argosy hay-haulers from the N W Oregon Coast to the Idaho border and back ..........these were almost show trucks and very well maintained so they were tight and spotless.

As for "ZERO appeal" for "this crowd"……..thats a bit curious since the Argosy could shorten many grossly over-length HDT RV units and the “fishbowl” visibility and tight-space maneuverability is second to none and that alone is a huge selling point in many RV parking “adventures”. Now many “ExPeRtz” will gripe about the access to and from the cab and indeed it is a bit of a different trip from a conventional but it is about the same height and the steps are just different. Of course tilting the cab is a huge “Pain-in-the-keister” if you leave your “Big-Gulp” in the cup holder and you will have a real mess on the dash……..now that is for sure "ZERO appeal"……… now of course having FULL Access to your engine and drive train and sitting on the steer tire while you wax your engine and polish your chrome exhaust system has only “limited-appeal”………

Now obviously us RICH HDT RV geeks like to show-off our BIG $$$$ so the reduced cost of maintenance from the excellent access due to the tilt-cab is a real bummer when it come time to brag about the $3,765.77 sensor change to the windshield washer tank…….Darn Argosy is so easy to get to parts that even I could muddle along somehow……

Lots of “ExPeRtz” will tell you that the Argosy will kill you due to a harsh ride being a COE and so obviously Jeff must have to play the keyboard just to keep his back-pain under control…… (the Argosy ride is very nice…..you would be amazed).

The one thing that takes a few miles to get used to is the …..”View”……..when you pull up to a stop light at first it seems that the cab will simply tilt forward and you will be face down in the crosswalk….but after a couple of stops it is a hoot and then you get used to it…….

The Argosy “fishbowl” view is stunning and once you have it driving a conventional cab truck seems like a step back into the stone age……. And has…..."ZERO appeal"…….

Maybe…...just maybe…. Jeff is stuck with his Argosy after all ……...maybe there is no “Upgrade” from his Argosy……

Of course what does Jeff know about trucks after only a few decades and a couple hundred thousand miles (backing-up)..... and a few zillion miles driving a “fishbowl”…….

Maybe we could trade-in a few Dr Pepper cans and start a fund to get Jeff a truck that does NOT have "ZERO appeal"………

Drive on……..(poor Sunflower the cat has to ride in a ……."ZERO appeal" tractor)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I think the zero appeal comment had to do with the way the truck is set up - 18 speed, 4.11 gears, etc - not that it is an Argosy.  I personally would love to have a modern Argosy, but I would not want one set up like this one.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

First the general. Cabover vs Conventional discussion has been raging here and in trucking for eons. Clearly cabovers lost, judging by the production numbers. Cabovers have always, and still are a creature of regulation. Some applications here make sense, but the industry doesn't agree. But there again I drive Studebakers.

Now the specific. This truck has been dolled up as a show truck. And his price reflects it. The spec list indicates a VERY narrow application, unsuitable for the majority here. But there are enough crackpots like myself that are intrigued by this sort of thing I appreciate the original post, and also appreciate the honest reaction. Indeed, the LGT driving general public looks upon any of us over here in the HDT division as crackpots, soooo I am proud to be amongst the selected few. 

Keep the weird stuff coming. I do the engineering in my head while driving down the road, better than listening to the XM sometimes. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Guess I must chime in with my opinion.  The cab over design is very much to my liking as someone who has no experience with driving big trucks.  (Until I bought one this year). 

As said before the shorter wheelbase and visibility are the draw for me.  I was wandering thru the shop one day and ran across a new Renault cab over and wondered what the ride is like.  I like the functionality of an American van, but I don't like the ride or handling.   With big truck suspension the cab over ride must be way better?

i really like what the person did with the Argosy, but agree with the opinion it's not set up for retirement rv hauling.

Dolly I gotta tell you, I almost sprayed my coffee at this comment,  I'm sure it would take me twice to remember this experience.

On October 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Dollytrolley said:

if you leave your “Big-Gulp” in the cup holder and you will have a real mess on the dash……..now that is for sure "ZERO appeal"……… now of course having FULL Access to your engine and drive train and sitting on the steer tire while you wax your engine and polish your chrome exhaust system has only “limited-appeal”………

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived