No truck campers allowed?!?

rtate

Is "no truck campers allowed" a thing??? :wacko:

I'm new to RV'ing and just bought my shiny, new Cirrus 920 truck camper. I've been attempting to make a reservation at RV campgrounds in Houston (need to stay there for a few weeks for medical care). But I've been told by 2 places that they don't allow truck campers!

I had no idea that truck campers wouldn't be allowed at RV campgrounds. Is this common?

2 hours ago, rtate said:

Is "no truck campers allowed" a thing??? :wacko:

I'm new to RV'ing and just bought my shiny, new Cirrus 920 truck camper. I've been attempting to make a reservation at RV campgrounds in Houston (need to stay there for a few weeks for medical care). But I've been told by 2 places that they don't allow truck campers!

I had no idea that truck campers wouldn't be allowed at RV campgrounds. Is this common?

You are using the term "campground", when I think you are talking about "RV Parks".  Campgrounds usualy refer to places like National Parks, National Forests, State Parks, etc.  They almost never restrict truck campers.  Some larger RV Parks, usually in tourist places or cities are picky on who they allow to stay and restrict RV's over 10 years old and truck campers.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Tell them its a class C. IF your not taking it off the truck. Its a class C. But when we owned our Okanagan 811-SL. Camped in many states for years. Never any issue at any place we wanted to stay. But if your trying to say at a Class A only resort. You will find they don't want any of us. That do not own a new Class A. 

event.png

12 minutes ago, Al F said:

You are using the term "campground", when I think you are talking about "RV Parks".  Campgrounds usualy refer to places like National Parks, National Forests, State Parks, etc.  They almost never restrict truck campers.  Some larger RV Parks, usually in tourist places or cities are picky on who they allow to stay and restrict RV's over 10 years old and truck campers.  

For years now I've seen campgrounds that only allow Motorhomes.  There are a couple in Florida that comes to mind and others in other places we've traveled.  If they are that snobby I wouldn't want to stay there but when you are looking for a one night stop without unhooking what's their issue?  Most people don't get that nuanced on the difference between campground and RV park.  In fact, I'll through in another, Resort.  I'm not sure those terms hold much water anymore if they once did.  We've seen places call themselves a resort and while good for a laugh they weren't.  We've seen campgrounds offer tent camping sites but then we have also seen many RV parks offer the same amenities.  Don't even get me started on those that offer WiFi and cable TV.  Getting back to truck campers, the most restricted places we've run into will allow a TT or a 5er to be unhooked and stay for short and long periods, but those with truck campers were prohibited from "dropping" their camper off and play tourist with their truck.  Go figure.  It pays to ask ahead of making a reservation.  Probably best to always make a reservation rather than get shut out.  

Thanks for the info! I did mean RV parks/resorts.

It's a challenge because I need to be within a reasonable distance of the center where I'm getting medical treatment but the RV parks nearby restrict truck campers. Did not know that might happen. I still have a week to find somewhere in Houston ...

Just now, rtate said:

Thanks for the info! I did mean RV parks/resorts.

It's a challenge because I need to be within a reasonable distance of the center where I'm getting medical treatment but the RV parks nearby restrict truck campers. Did not know that might happen. I still have a week to find somewhere in Houston ...

Are you sure that these RV parks have showers and rest rooms?  They may require fully self contained units and think yours is not.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Are you sure that these RV parks have showers and rest rooms?  They may require fully self contained units and think yours is not.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. One place asked if I wanted hookups (said yes), the others didn't ask if my camper was self-contained (which it is). They just said they don't allow truck campers.

I can imagine that they're trying to sort through the folks who have a shell on the back of a pickup and are sleeping back there vs. folks like you with fully-contained, fully featured truck campers. They may have had enough bad experiences with the former to lump them all together and disallow them. 

Perhaps if you explain that you are fully self-contained and "shiny new" they would reconsider.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Go to RV Park Reviews for a list of RV Parks.  Not that the web site will tell you if they take truck campers, but it will give a good list of all the places you may be able to stay. 

Go to the RV Parks website you may want to stay at and see if they have an online reservation site. Then try going there and seeing if the online reservation will take your reservation. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, rtate said:

First, let me say welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so visit often. 

Like several others, I was not aware of many parks that didn't accept truck campers, but do know that some parks do restrict what they accept with home-built being pretty commonly rejected. Most of the motorhome only parks that I know of actually won't accept most gas-powered motorhomes either.  I have seen many places that don't allow a truck camper to be unloaded to drive leaving the camper on the site. You may have just picked the two which don't accept them out of the entire city? 

Have you tried Lakeview RV Resort as they say that they provide a shuttle to the medical centers?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a 5th wheel AND a truck camper.  Some RV parks  have insurance restrictions regarding truck campers.  Occasionally we find a park that won't take us, more often they will take us only if we agree to leave the camper on the truck.  the liability due to the perceived instability of a truck camper with no truck under it is an issue. "children playing under it could get hurt".

there might be COE or state parks near there that wouldnt have an issue with you.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Hi rtate - 

Welcome - my stuff can look a little scruffy sometimes depending on maintenance department ...:rolleyes:.  On a couple occasions when booking into a fancier park I've asked permission to email them a picture of my rig. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, mptjelgin said:

I can imagine that they're trying to sort through the folks who have a shell on the back of a pickup and are sleeping back there vs. folks like you with fully-contained, fully featured truck campers. They may have had enough bad experiences with the former to lump them all together and disallow them. 

Perhaps if you explain that you are fully self-contained and "shiny new" they would reconsider.  

I too suspect this is the reasoning the RV park managers used.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks, everybody, for the advice. Lakeview RV took a reservation for me (I explained I'm self-contained, have a bathroom (had to repeat that several times!), and brand new) so here's hoping they don't balk when I show up :rolleyes:

That's a very nice campground and has transportation to the medical center. I was surprised you got in. We had camped there for 10-15 years and several years we called and they had a wait list of 120. That is when we switched to Advanced. You'll enjoy yourself(as best you can).

6 hours ago, rtate said:

Thanks, everybody, for the advice. Lakeview RV took a reservation for me (I explained I'm self-contained, have a bathroom (had to repeat that several times!), and brand new) so here's hoping they don't balk when I show up :rolleyes:

Now we're all hoping you have good luck at the medical center too! 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

FWIW we like Advanced RV Resort in Pearland TX when going to the TX medical center area better than the other parks mentioned so far in this thread.  The park is located in close proximity to restaurants, shopping, etc in a nice suburban area.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived