Will This Hitch Do The Job

masterdrago

We have not purchased an RV yet but are looking at Keystone and Grand Design with weights around 16 - 17k. The dealer is quoting upwards of 3 grand for the hitch including installation. Looking around, I found a RVK3600 B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ram for $1,205 on Amzn. It appears to be rated 25,000 lb. GTW. I suspect this will work just fine. Am I correct? Our Truck already has the prep in the bed with 5 holes pre-made.

hitch.jpg

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Yes.  The B&W companion hitches are excellent hitches.  It will work very well for your application.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My 2 cents......air ride hitches are much kinder to fifth wheels on todays ruff roads.  Is the hitch your looking at height adjustable allowing good clearance between the fifth wheel and your trucks bed rails?  Newer pickups (especially 4x4s) have tall beds.        Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

You will feel every crack in the road. An air ride hitch disconnects from the rv so when you hit a bump, the tow vehicle,is allowed to move up and over. The rv will follow shortly after but will not pull the tow vehicle up in rebound. Much smoother ride.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I'd be more concerned with a dealer that wants to stick it to you on the hitch, what's he going to do on the RV?

Even if the truck didn't come with the puck system the purchase of a B&W turnball, Campanion Hitch and installation  should only run less then $2000.00

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

5 hours ago, jjwicklund said:

I'd be more concerned with a dealer that wants to stick it to you on the hitch, what's he going to do on the RV?

Even if the truck didn't come with the puck system the purchase of a B&W turnball, Campanion Hitch and installation  should only run less then $2000.00

I'm with John. I would shop around a bit more. Amazon is not always the least expensive. If you have a Ranch Hand store near you, check them out. Check out http://4wheelonline.com they currently are running a sale for 20% off and free shipping. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, jjwicklund said:

No question is a valid concern, but it may not mean the dealer is different than most as the "dealer add-ons" are often the gravy makers for both RV & automobile dealers. It is fairly common for a dealer to give a low price while planning to make the rest of what he wants from additional items sold like hitches, extended warranties, and even money from lenders for pushing their loans. While we may question the ethics of that practice but it is a pretty common practice.

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Amazon is not always the least expensive.

An excellent point. I find that for some items, Amazon is a bargain but in other cases, the local store is better priced. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks folks. I checked around and amzn matches best price I could find and I get 5% cash back on amzn crd and a small percentage goes to my charity. Good deal all the way around. Now if I can just do more research on the 5r we should purchase - or first one.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

6 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Thanks folks. I checked around and amzn matches best price I could find and I get 5% cash back on amzn crd and a small percentage goes to my charity. Good deal all the way around. Now if I can just do more research on the 5r we should purchase - or first one.

Read read and read some more.  I spent about a year and a half reading and researching.  Start off with 5vers in your price range and find the floor plans that you like.  Then start looking at all of the details of the ones that you like.  Not sure where you live, but go to a big RV show like Hershey, PA.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

As to the fiver, I sprang for the fee for this review site and never regretted the decision. Really helped me narrow choices. https://rv.org/

As for hitches give some thought to the Anderson hitch. Lighter, cheaper and the tow is perfection. You will find discussions here and on other boards.  https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

Dave and Lana Hasper

I have a B&W.  Best hitch I have ever owned.   $3,000 for a B&W is WAY overpriced. Back in 2012 when I had mine installed the under bed part installed was $550 and the hitch was $750.  Sure they are more now, but not double.

Check out the Montana owners forum.  For thoughts from owners.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

Archived