Mount TV to outside of Class C

jpcoll01

I have a 31' Gulfstream B Touring and I want to mount an LCD to the outside (under awning) while we are parked (mainly for tailgating).  My intent is to store the TV underneath or on the bed while in motion so I want something that will allow me to remove the entire TV and mount.  Anyone done this?

1 hour ago, jpcoll01 said:

Anyone done this?

I have not, but I do like a challenge. My first thought was to use a storage bay but from the pictures of a BT that I found it doesn't seem at all practical. I would put the connections for power and antenna into a bay, even if it means a fairly long cord/cable.  I'm thinking that the bracket suggested might serve well but it is important to locate some framing for it to attach to and be very careful of electric wires that may be embedded in the wall. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the feedback.  I have hung several in my home with the mount below.  It provides great articulation possibilities, which I think will be important in an outdoor setting.  My main concern was the leverage/weight when the TV is extended.  I haven't dug into the walls of the BTouring, so should I assume wood studs?  I'd also like it to be fairly clean, so I was thinking insert two fairly large bolts into stud and then flair the bottom of the holes in the mount so I can simply slide them over the bolts and then slide down to secure and gravity will hold it while setting still, clearly would remove completely (besides the bolts which would be sealed with some kind of sealant) but they would only need to stick out less than 1/2" in my estimation.

51bnQ0FC01L.jpg

I would not assume wood studs.  Here's a link to their construction.  Check out item #8.    Greg

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/motorhomeconstruction

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

9 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

I have a 31' Gulfstream B Touring and I want to mount an LCD to the outside (under awning) while we are parked (mainly for tailgating).  My intent is to store the TV underneath or on the bed while in motion so I want something that will allow me to remove the entire TV and mount.  Anyone done this?

Maybe you should consider mounting your TV on an adjustable pedestal , rather than compromising the side of your RV .

Goes around , comes around .

16 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

I haven't dug into the walls of the BTouring, so should I assume wood studs?

It would be very unusual today to find wood studs in any motorhome exterior walls. If you look at the link provided by Big Greg, it clearly indicates that the framework is of box aluminum.

7.  High-gloss gelcoat exterior fiberglass

8.  Vacuum-bonded laminated walls with welded square-tube aluminum frame and high-heat-resistant urethane adhesives

9.  Azdel synthetic substrate that is odorless and Formaldehyde-free; won't rot, mildew, or absorb water; insulates better yet weighs half as much as plywood

10. High R-value rigid EPS wall insulation

11. Vinyl-clad interior wall panelling

I think that your plan is very risky, but we really don't know enough to say if it could work. It could be possible if you can locate the aluminum frame, but they do not state the size of that box aluminum or its thickness. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In the event you could somehow locate the precise location of aluminum frame members (I doubt it) horizontal or vertical, and drill/attach to them I might trust hanging a TV. Perhaps a regular household type hanger described above.  If that's not practical, at the very least when I have hung "items" on an RV exterior I have drilled all thru the wall and use large flat "fender" type washers (and decorative finish) inside and out to sort of compress and sandwich the hangers. I'm NOT talkin much weight here guys.

NOTE just because I have done this with certain light weight items and never had a problem, I'm NOT suggesting you try it based on anything I said or did lol  I don't want the blame for pulling the wall off your RV 

John T

I think the pedestal is the best option .

Simple TV mount . Easy slip on and off .

It would be easily stored . 

Easily positioned to eliminate glare , no matter which direction you happen to park .

And , you won't have to worry about , whatever holes you drilled through your RV , leaking .

Then , there is the thought that maybe the next possible buyer of your rig could shy away when they see 'alterations' .

Goes around , comes around .

Flat screen TVs are not very heavy, so I would think that if you found a stud or cross member you could put a mount on there that is close to the wall. There is one like that on the side of my fiver so I can take the 40 inch TV in the living room and hang it outside. I wouldn't put a mount with an arm on there, but would put an ultra slim mount on.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Archived