Tipping

Onthego

6 hours ago, Sehc said:

Yes. There are many restaurants with pooled tips.

I try to leave cash tips, especially when getting good service.

Yep, many years ago I worked as a part-time bartender in a restaurant, and when I was paired with a particularly beautiful young lady for my shift, some of the regulars liked to kid me that they always tipped her better than me. I just laughed and never told them that we pooled the tips. The wait staff did as well, but we had separate pools. I don't recall if the kitchen staff got a percentage of the tips or not, but we always gave the bus boys that cleared our bar tables and restocked the coolers a piece of our pool.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never tipped a counter person and I'm sure not starting because it is on some credit card receipt. Wait staff at tables is another thing but I base what I leave on performance. And now as example take Appleby's. One person takes your order, somebody else delivers the goods. Then you can pay thru the goofy thingamajig sitting on the table taking up space.

2 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Then you can pay thru the goofy thingamajig sitting on the table taking up space.

That goofy thingamajig is great.   Call your server any time, order dessert automatically,  &, when done,  pay your bill & go - no waiting for a server.  I wish every place had one.

All of the comments on why  we do not tip are informational and revealing  however we will still tip as usual.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 5 months later...

One important thing to note, any time you leave a tip with a cc it gets added as income to the server and yup they have to pay taxes on it.  My wife once recieved a paycheck for $0 because the taxes on the tips ate all the minimum server salary($3 and change an hour I think).  So I always tip in cash

54 minutes ago, Waterjosh said:

One important thing to note, any time you leave a tip with a cc it gets added as income to the server and yup they have to pay taxes on it.  My wife once recieved a paycheck for $0 because the taxes on the tips ate all the minimum server salary($3 and change an hour I think).  So I always tip in cash

That's new information to me. Thanks for the heads up.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Waterjosh said:

Are you saying that if I leave a cash tip that's not income and they don't have to pay taxes on it?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

8 hours ago, Waterjosh said:

One important thing to note, any time you leave a tip with a cc it gets added as income to the server and yup they have to pay taxes on it. 

Honest wait staff report all of their income as the law requires but your way would help them to cheat if so inclined. This practice of underreporting income is the reason that the IRS some years ago made it a regulation that employers withhold from staff pay a minimum of 8% of the employee's total receipts for the day. It seems that cheating on income tax has become a socially acceptable behavior in many circles. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Sehc said:

WaterJosh. Your wife did not come home with no pay. She brought home tips. If she made that much in cash tips to get a salaried pay check of zero, she did very well.

Actually she got screwed by the business owner based on the fact that she had just moved here from Italy.  They made her pay the taxes on all of it, and then pay out the bartender, cooks, busboys etc.  Unfortunately this was before we met and she didn't know any better and had no one to tell her.

And Kirk, if someone pays me cash for something, no I don't claim it, I guess you are more of a stand up guy than me, maybe when they quit spending my tax money on bullcrap and waste then I will claim it, until then, cash, what cash...

9 hours ago, Waterjosh said:

And Kirk, if someone pays me cash for something, no I don't claim it,

While that is hardly the same as reporting earned income, it would be if you were working a job which paid in cash. None of us wish to pay our taxes, but cheating means that others must pay more. Ethics are what you do when nobody will know. 

4 hours ago, noteven said:

What’s everyone think about the “Tip the Bill” movement?

You tip the sever the same $ as the amount of your bill. 

No I didn’t make this up, for once...

Wishful thinking on their part . It ain't gonna happen .

Goes around , comes around .

The only time we do anything close to "tip the bill" is at a favorite family restaurant that has a "buy 9, 10th free" punch card for breakfast and lunch entrees. When we're getting our free 10th meals, our drinks are not included, so we still pay a nominal amount that usually comes pretty close to what we would tip on the normal full bill. So we just round off and double it to include the tip. And as Kirk said, we also over tip on just a coffee or tea order.

Dutch

We like to leave a generous tip when we've shared a meal with other SKPs because we tend to stay a long time visiting so the server loses out on the tip from others who would have used that table during that time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I wonder what waitperson's organization thought this one up? Sounds like some folks on the "Go fund me" sites.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Kirk Wood said:

While that is hardly the same as reporting earned income, it would be if you were working a job which paid in cash. None of us wish to pay our taxes, but cheating means that others must pay more. Ethics are what you do when nobody will know. 

Kirk, there are different levels of cheating.  I have two close friends, one was in the trades prior to retiring and one was a business owner.  As you would suspect my brick layer buddy made considerably less money that my business owner buddy.  My brick layer buddy would do weekend jobs for cash money to make ends meet raising 6 kids.  He paid a ton of taxes on his regular wages, but he never claimed the weekend cash work.  My business owner buddy made 3X as much each year and paid less income tax.  He raised his only child easily without working weekends.

It would be pretty hard to say who is actually cheating on their taxes the way the tax code works sometimes.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

The tax code is pretty clear on reporting income. If your business owner friend is using legitimate business and personal deductions/credits to offset his correctly reported income, then there is no cheating involved on his end. Your brick layer friend on the other hand...

Dutch

Archived