Tipping

Onthego

i do tip when i am at a table, and service is good. 

one time i did leave two pennys. the food was bad and cold. the wait service ( if i type in the word it will get removed). it was that bad.

people work at rates for what they belive they are worth.

but good service is rewarded.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when my job had me otr. yes i woild tip. 

but back then the wait staff cared.

i tip only at 10%. prices go up so does the tip. ( no i do not stop at pennys, i do round up).

so no reason to tip higher.

now is seevice is great then yes a larger tip.

with the new min wage i will stop tipping as now they are getting paid better.

but at the higher cost at restraunts, i do not go out to eat very often.

higher prices keep me from tipping as i do not go there much any longer. so the wait staff loses (sorry about that it money or lack there of).

What would be the correct tip for a drive through window?  I have noticed several signs on the pick up window that says "Tips are appreciated". Have not tipped there yet, don't know if I will ever do so.

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

If the drive thru is at a place I regularly visit and they've gotten to know me and treat me well, then I put a couple of dollars or more in the tip jar depending on the size of the order. The best I can say at other venues is It depends a number of factors, including the layout. If all I'm dealing with is a disembodied voice on a speaker and a bored cashier taking my money and handing me my order, then no tip is called for in my opinion.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Yes we tip.If we would get bad service we may not tip but in years of travel  we can not remember really bad service..The average cost for a meal for two of us is around 25/ 30.00. We rarely  tip less than 5.00 and usually 20% of the bill.I can not remember the last time we used a drive through window or sat at a counter for a meal.We had dinner at a Buca Di Beppo this evening.The bill was 38.26 the tip was 8.00.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

18 hours ago, packnrat said:

You do realize that all the higher min wage means is that the restaurant owner reports more of their tips as wages to make sure he shows they made at least the new min wage amount.  There is no requirement that the restaurant owner pays the wait staff anything, only that they receive at least min wage from somewhere.

If more feel as you do,  the wait staff will really take it in the shorts with no effect on the restaurant owner.

i never said hurt the owner.

or the staff.

just now acording to the liberals those getting min wage are now earning enougth to live on so tiping will not be needed any longer.

nobody tips me for doing my job.

should i expect to start getting tips?

i know i sound like a cheap (*)..

On 3/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, packnrat said:

when my job had me otr. yes i woild tip. 

but back then the wait staff cared. 

i tip only at 10%. prices go up so does the tip. ( no i do not stop at pennys, i do round up). 

so no reason to tip higher. 

now is seevice is great then yes a larger tip. 

but at the higher cost at restraunts, i do not go out to eat very often. .

higher prices keep me from tipping as i do not go there much any longer. so the wait staff loses (sorry about that it money or lack there of).

Servers in Florida make $5.03 per hour. The work is often very tiring and the hours can be long. These service people work very hard for their income. They also have to put up with a lot of garbage from some customers. In this country servers are paid a combination of wage and tips.

Paul

1 minute ago, Mooney12 said:

Servers in Florida make $5.03 per hour. The work is often very tiring and the hours can be long. These service people work very hard for their income. They also have to put up with a lot of garbage from some customers. In this country servers are paid a combination of wage and tips.

i am also over worked, treated like s--. 

get no respect.

as you said for servers. i get treated the same way but in my line of work your body gets broken ( yes as in surgerys to try and fix)) 

not saying the wait staff have it easy.

but there line of work is not the only one that you get screwed by your employer, customers, etc.

many a year otr drivers can earn less than min wage.

yet they work far more hrs that others jobs.

9 hours ago, DuffMan said:

You do realize that all the higher min wage means is that the restaurant owner reports more of their tips as wages to make sure he shows they made at least the new min wage amount.  There is no requirement that the restaurant owner pays the wait staff anything, only that they receive at least min wage from somewhere.

It isn't quite that simple as an employer can't just make up numbers and there is little enforcement of the employee reporting cash tips. f you want accurate information, check out the US Dept. of Labor, Wage & Hour Division rules. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have to let this one go or I might start thinking I need to do someone poorly because I have been done poorly.  If I did that on the basis I stated that would reflect badly on on me so I'll just stay out of this one.  \

Thanks to anyone providing actual facts even if it is just Kirk.:)

We will still tip.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

We will still tip.

applause, applause, To be honest I might reduce some tips but they would have to really, really work hard to get me to make a statement by not tipping or leaving only a few pennies ie: obviously ignoring me.  Sometime of course the problem is not the wait staff but other issues at the restruant that the waitstaff has limited control over.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:17 PM, packnrat said:

just now acording to the liberals those getting min wage are now earning enougth to live on so tiping will not be needed any longer.

nobody tips me for doing my job.

should i expect to start getting tips?

If your pay isn't based on getting tips, then no, you shouldn't expect to start getting tips. 

But if you are a server and your pay is based on getting tips (i.e., your wage is less than the actual minimum wage because you are a tipped employee), then there's no basis for people to stop tipping.  That would be the same even in states that have increased the minimum wage to more than the federal minimum wage--part of servers' pay is still based on tips.

There are a few states that require servers to be paid that state's actual minimum wage (not less than the minimum wage, as in most states), but tipping is part of the scheme in restaurants even in those states, so again, there's no basis for people to stop tipping.

Personally, I hate tipping in all its forms, but if I choose to go to a place where servers are customarily tipped, I do it at the customary rate (which is not 10%).

46 minutes ago, Blues said:

Personally, I hate tipping in all its forms, but if I choose to go to a place where servers are customarily tipped, I do it at the customary rate (which is not 10%).

^^^

Hence why we very rarely eat out now.   Why oh why can't they just pay people a proper "wage" so that tipping isn't even an issue.   Folks on very limited budgets can then know that what price is charged on the menu of food/services/goods etc is what they need to pay.    I recall several decades back in the UK, I tried to tip and it was a shock to the servers = they weren't used to being tipped so didn't expect it. This tipping is all about "expectations".   Just make every job salary/commission paid and it really wouldn't be an issue.   When "deserved" we do always tip well, but we will not no matter how much it's frowned upon tip for bad service = encouraging bad service to continue???

Also the rest of us pay heavy taxes based on our "known" incomes, yet those relying on tips get away with paying a lot less typically.   I've had many servers/hairdressers etc tell me they make more on tips than salary and what some share $'s wise is higher than some very highly skilled workers earn so .......   It begs the question why it is still ongoing in an era where the government wants more documentation/trailing/paperwork to make sure everyone is paying as much taxes/penalties as possible.

3 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Folks on very limited budgets can then know that what price is charged on the menu of food/services/goods etc is what they need to pay.  

Just add 20% to the menu price when ordering and you know exactly what you need to pay.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:35 AM, DuffMan said:

You do realize that all the higher min wage means is that the restaurant owner reports more of their tips as wages to make sure he shows they made at least the new min wage amount. 

I "think" he means if servers get the same min wage as other employees who are NOT tipped.  If that is what he means, then I agree with him on not tipping.  If servers are being paid the same as the bus boy or cook, who are not tipped, then prices are likely going to reflect the restaurant's increased costs.

I tip 15% unless the service is very good or very bad.  If very bad, they get nothing, and I have done that several times.  If very good, they get 20% or more.  I have done that probably as often as leaving nothing.

I do not tip at fast food or drive thrus.  At buffets, I leave a few bucks if the staff kept my glass full and cleared plates in a timely manner.  There is one particular food truck I frequent.  I usually tip a few bucks.   

On 3/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, Mooney12 said:

X2

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Many replies show how much many do not know about tipped employees.

8 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I "think" he means if servers get the same min wage as other employees who are NOT tipped.  If that is what he means, then I agree with him on not tipping.  If servers are being paid the same as the bus boy or cook, who are not tipped, then prices are likely going to reflect the restaurant's increased costs.

In some places tips are pooled then shared with the bus boys, cooks, etc.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A good smart wait person will kick in a little to the bus staff to insure tables in their area are bused as timely and well as possible.  Especially when needed to get new folks seated so the wait person can make some more tips.  This used to be a common practice in the olden days but is probably not done so much now.  This of course applies to places that have busers. Now it is common for the wait person to have to bus as well as serve. Some folks sat next to me Sat that had gone into a name chain restruant that had no where to be seated as all the tables were dirty and after waiting for 15 min left and came across the street to where I was and immediatly talked about it with several patrons there. This is a management issue that is costing the staff there possible income.

14 hours ago, sandsys said:

In some places tips are pooled then shared with the bus boys, cooks, etc.

Linda Sand

Except, those positions are typically paid the state minimum wage (or more), not the wait staff minimum wage, which is lower and tips are used to make up the difference.  

I'm sure I am not the only person in this thread that has worked in a sit-down restaurant.  I never worked in a restaurant that pooled tips for anyone.  The tips each individual waitress earned were theirs, not pooled with the other wait staff or shared with other positions.

I never worked in the food industry but 2 of my son’s did so longer ago than I like to admit. Low wages paid have mostly eliminated the reason tipping was created.  

We visited Australia a couple of years ago and they don’t tip there but have a much higher minimum wage  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived