Gas Grill Connection

We have a Weber Q1000 that I would like to hook up to our RV gas supply.  This DRV already has a curbside quick connect fitting that is regulated from the tanks.

If I connect a hose straight from the RV port to the grill, will the grill work?   Weber has its own pressure regulator.  So will double regulating the gas supply allow the grill to operate properly?

Other option would be putting a Tee on one of the tanks and have a long 20ft+ hose as DRV puts the LP tanks on the off door side.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have the Weber Q1200 and had to remove the regulator on the grill in order to use the quick connect line on our 5W. That was the only way we could get the correct pressures. It can be put back on if we want to use bottled lp but as we fulltime we don’t see that happening often or at all.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

With double regulated LP pressure, the grill should still work but it will be a lazy flame and not much heat. Your best solution would be to remove the grill regulator like Rover did. I would be concerned about running a high pressure line from the tanks which could be as high as 250 PSI, if the line ever leaks or breaks, it will make for a very interesting day. Everyone has seen a 100 PSI air hose flopping around, now double the pressure and add a spark into the mix.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

The grille I use is a home-style unit. Pressure was an issue as said above, so I ran a flared copper line to the curb side of the coach, and added a $10 adjustable regulator from Ebay with a positive shut off valve. Always have good pressure for grilling, and if the need should arise it would double as a crematorium if turned up all the way.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

As has been stated, double regulators won't work properly.  If you search google or YouTube for this issue, you will find many different ways people have resolved this issue.  

I have the Weber Q 2200 grill.  I removed the regulator and replaced it which a male quick connect.  Now I can run a hose from my DRV female quick connect directly to the grill.  I then put female and male quick connects on the appropriate sides of the Weber Q regulator and bought a short quick connect gas hose.  This way I can reinstall the regulator and set a 1 gallon Coleman bottle on the ground and run the short hose between them if need be.  I didn't want to hang the small bottle off the back of the regulator (like stock configuration) because I wasn't sure how the quick connect would handle the torque of the bottle and regulator hanging from it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

PS:  I should have shown you my set up at the WCR.  I had it all there and cooked my potluck contribution on it. ;)

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

On 9/24/2017 at 12:16 PM, gjhunter01 said:

With double regulated LP pressure, the grill should still work but it will be a lazy flame and not much heat.

I need to test this out. I just added a tap on our RV for a gas grill. I waffled back and forth the double regulator thing and then opted to place the tap on the low pressure side of a 30PSI regulator. 

Researched told me the regulator between the right and left tanks was to prevent a sludge build up in the gas line and should be done on all long runs. Since my gas hookup for the the grill is actually a longer run than just across the trailer that is why I went the way I did. 

The weather has been all rainy and windy since I did this so I have not had a chance to test. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Most LP tanks (house & RV) have the regulator mounted close to the tank to avoid high pressure in the lines which are not as strong/robust as a pressure vessel tank. Sludge is rarely a issue with LP as it is a very clean fuel. Old engines that run their lives on LP look new and clean inside. The length of pipe should not be a issue since the 3 PSI will equalize through the pipe and provide 3 PSI at the end of the line. It is rainy and cold up here in ND also.

Greg

14 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

As has been stated, double regulators won't work properly.  If you search google or YouTube for this issue, you will find many different ways people have resolved this issue.  

I have the Weber Q 2200 grill.  I removed the regulator and replaced it which a male quick connect.  Now I can run a hose from my DRV female quick connect directly to the grill.  I then put female and male quick connects on the appropriate sides of the Weber Q regulator and bought a short quick connect gas hose.  This way I can reinstall the regulator and set a 1 gallon Coleman bottle on the ground and run the short hose between them if need be.  I didn't want to hang the small bottle off the back of the regulator (like stock configuration) because I wasn't sure how the quick connect would handle the torque of the bottle and regulator hanging from it.

And your idea is now stolen!  

Thanks!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There is a check valve on all systems that when a line is broken reduces the gas flow significantly. From high flow to low flow. If any of you run into problems this Tech article I wrote will give you a good understanding of how the check valves and thermal cut offs work in your RVs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id44.html

I'd recommend you do the following leak test both before and after any additional propane lines are installed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id46.html

If the loss increased significantly between timed tests, you better check your connections again.

I preferred to carry a 20 pound cylinder in a milk crate in my pickup bed since I towed a fiver. One of these:

http://www.grillparts.com/charbroil/allparts.asp?src=base&product_id=4187314&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA(BSC)&utm_term=1100101188191&utm_content=Ad group %231

I kept it connected to the cylinder in the milk crate then just set it on the ground and connected to the grill. THey come in varieties for rgulated and unregulated lines.

Safe Travels

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV- that's what I'm doing now.  Lugging around a 20lb cylinder with a 5' hose.  But since we use very little propane and we carry 2 40lb bottles on the camper, I would like to utilize them.  

Leak testing is my career... http://www.subsurfacesolutions.com/product-page/flame-pack-gas-leak-detector  the cheapest tool I get to use...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

And your idea is now stolen!  

Thanks!

I stole it from someone else, so no worries. ;)

event.png    

Jim,

I've borrowed sniffers but man! few RVrs, are running around with a sniffer.  I'm jealous now. <wink>

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 years later...
On 9/24/2017 at 9:16 PM, gjhunter01 said:

With double regulated LP pressure, the grill should still work but it will be a lazy flame and not much heat. Your best solution would be to remove the grill regulator like Rover did. I would be concerned about running a high pressure line from the tanks which could be as high as 250 PSI, if the line ever leaks or breaks, it will make for a very interesting day. Everyone has seen a 100 PSI air hose flopping around, now double the pressure and add a spark into the mix.

Greg

probably, it's the best solution in this case, however I don't think that I would be able to do all these schemes on my own. I'd better buy a new grill. Moreover, speaking of gas grills, I've already checked all reliable sources where gas grills are described and I decided to order a huge four burner gas grill. I've ordered the Royal Gourmet 4-Burner, I guess it would be the best choice for me and my family. I personally prefer to cook outdoors, which means that our backyard is finally occupied by me cooking steaks and different kind of meat. If not a guide from wellfed, I wouldn't be so confident about my choice. This guide is amazing, literally. All necessary info gathered in one place!

Edited by Sonya8

• 2 months later...