Replacing 6 Volt House Batteries

hanknjoycew

It's that time again to replace the 4 6-volt batteries in my diesel pusher. The last replacement I bought Energizer EGC2's from Sam's Club in Cheyenne WY. They now tell me that battery is a Duracell. Since it has been 7 years since I last bought batteries (!!) just wondering if a simple replacement is our best choice. We rarely are off the grid/dry camping for more than a couple days and keep the MH plugged into shore power when home. 

Hank
SKP 67414
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

Sam's batteries are supplied by one of the other battery manufacturers and I know that it used to be Interstate who made them.  I have not looked at their batteries for some time, but it does appear on Sam's website that they now sell Duracell. I would still not hesitate to buy from them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For your stated usage, Costco or Sam's GC 6V's are an economical solution. If none are near you, you might also get good prices from a Golf Cart maintenance facility(?).

If you have not found the watering of the batteries to be problem, great. In our previous Bounder, access to add water was a real PITA. So I did add the watering system caps, and would do a regular 'squeezing' of the turkey baster ball until resistance was met = water in battery topped off. (Usually less then 2 full squeezes fro the two batteries in that coach. Might be worth looking into for the qty of batteries your maintaining:)!

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

If you don't use that much power off grid, how about a couple of marine 12v batteries? It might be a cheaper option for your low usage. You can always go back to the heavier 6v batteries if your power needs change. Also, a 12v battery may have other usages (car, tractor, boat) when the MH is parked for extended times.

Greg

Archived