Dish locals pack vs dish distant network service

Definitions. 

Broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC).

Locals:  the broadcast channels coming from the closest city to where you are at.

DNS: the broadcast channels  from  LA and the time line for broadcast channels Prime Time 8-11 PM PST.  In the East that would be 10 PM - 1 AM  EST.  If you DVR the DNS channels and watch then the next day, not an issue. 

Locals are in the time zone you are in. 

One issue is that when in the eastern part of the US, you may run into the HD Locals being on the Eastern Arc (EA) satellites (72.7, 61.5) and not easily accessible with the RF Mogul.  Like the Trav'ler, the RF Mogul uses a DPP 1000.2 Dish with is designed for the Western Arc (WA) satellites (119, 110, 129).  You can have the roof dish lock onto one of the EA satellites at a time,   This means limited programming if in the EA mode.

DNS are on the WA satellites.

If you care about local news and weather, then Locals is the option.  If you just want broadcast channels at whatever time, then DNS.

We want broadcast channels at a reasonable time so we use Locals.  We only change the city for the Locals when we move out of the spotbeam for that city.  That can be a couple of hundred miles.  We carry a tripod for the few times we have tree interference and when we want to use EA satellites

The process of changing the city when we need to is a matter of a few minutes using Dish Chat.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

One big difference is that on the DNS you only get four channels.  If you get locals, you will get those four and several others in some cities, including PBS, CW, and sometimes a variety of independent locals.  To me, the main difference is where you want your sports channels to come from.  I kind of enjoy following the local sports teams when I'm in an area.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

18 hours ago, morninghill said:

Just had satellite installed (rf mogul), will start Dish month to month. Which option is better for locals? Why?

looks like the flex pack includes pbs, not on dns.

thanks

Another option would be to take the DNS service and set most of your recordings for network shows and sports on those. That way they don't get messed up as you "move around" since you say you spend most of your time in the west. Just pick up an over the air adapter for your Dish receiver and connect your antenna to that. You can easily "rescan" when you move around to get all the locals from where you are and their subchannels. 

3 hours ago, cpalmer2k said:

Another option would be to take the DNS service and set most of your recordings for network shows and sports on those. That way they don't get messed up as you "move around" since you say you spend most of your time in the west. Just pick up an over the air adapter for your Dish receiver and connect your antenna to that. You can easily "rescan" when you move around to get all the locals from where you are and their subchannels

I've spent the past ten years full timing in the West.  Very few places where I could pick up more than one or two channels on OTA antenna.  I readily admit that I don't hang around larger cities.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I know the distant network service on dish was abandoned almost 5 years ago. The only option I know of is subscribe to local channels option. You will have to call dish each time you are in a new location to get the local channels. I have requested numerous times that they let you set it up on the Network Website but have gotten nowhere. Also the local channels are set to your dish via a spot beam that is only receivable in about a 150 mile radius. I understand that Dish now offers PBS national on a very restricted basis as an alacarte item. 

11 minutes ago, richardbetsey said:

As far as I know the distant network service on dish was abandoned almost 5 years ago. The only option I know of is subscribe to local channels option. You will have to call dish each time you are in a new location to get the local channels. I have requested numerous times that they let you set it up on the Network Website but have gotten nowhere. Also the local channels are set to your dish via a spot beam that is only receivable in about a 150 mile radius. I understand that Dish now offers PBS national on a very restricted basis as an alacarte item. 

Things change.  Dish is offering HD DNS from LA again.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

As said, Dish does offer the LA locals in a DNS package, and rumor has it that NY may follow eventually. An alternative to DNS is to use a service address in one of the locations that has the locals available on a nationwide CONUS beam. I haven't rechecked my list lately, so all of the listings may not be current.

DMA - (HD/SD) - SAT

Bluefield, WV (HD)	77
Cincinnati, OH (HD)	77
Columbus, GA (HD)	77
Davenport, IA (HD)	77
Evansville, IN (HD)	77
Ft Wayne, IN (HD)	61.5
Jacksonville, FL (HD)	77
Lexington, KY (HD)	77
Lima, OH (HD)		77
Little Rock, AR (HD)	77
Louisville, KY(HD)	77
New York, NY (SD	119
Paducah, KY (HD)	77
Springfield, MO (HD) 	77

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:23 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I'm not sure what is going on with Dish. I called them this morning about adding PBS national feed. They advised me that they know nothing about it now being available as an option and that it was dropped several years ago and nothing has changed as of today. Also asked about distant networks option and the only option available is to subscribe to the local channels option which only has about a 150 mile radius. They knew nothing about a program to view a select local channel line up nationally.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:23 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I'm not sure what is going on with Dish. I called them this morning about adding PBS national feed. They advised me that they know nothing about it now being available as an option and that it was dropped several years ago and nothing has changed as of today. Also asked about distant networks option and the only option available is to subscribe to the local channels option which only has about a 150 mile radius. They knew nothing about a program to view a select local channel line up nationally.

History.  National PBS when away when DNS went away a couple of years ago.

Maybe Dish forgot to return National PBS along with the new DNS.

As for CSRs knowing everything about Dish, seriously.  DNS is relatively new and the presence probably hasn't been felt by most of the Dish CSRs yet.  You sometime have to play Dish CSR Roulette and call in until you get a knowledgeable CSR.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

We do as Dale does, switching to the locals as we move. Using the spot beam maps helps. For instance earlier this month we were in Des Moines for a night, Independence, MO for a two  nights, and Claremore, OK for two nights. When we hit Des Moines I switched to the Kansas City locals and we stayed in the KS spot beam for five nights.

Oddly, when we switched to Amarillo, TX we found that the HD locals were on Sat 61.5! First time I ran into that with the Trav'ler. Still received the locals in SD which was fine for a couple of nights.

I was also told that the ability to change your service address (for locals) will soon be added to the MyDish app!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Dish Chat has been working well by being able to change Service Address via MyDish would be a great change.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Dennis M said:

We do as Dale does, switching to the locals as we move. Using the spot beam maps helps.

Be aware that while the spot beam maps themselves are not likely to change much over time, the other lists at SatelliteGuys, such as the DMA listing you linked to, are no longer being maintained. Dish recently moved a large number of eastern arc channels from 72.7 to 61.5 for instance, and SatelliteGuys said on their forum the lists would not be updated.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived